Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Just as another Samsung XE500t user I can confirm the atom does surprisingly well with just about all the tasks you would expect to do on an atom based machine. No lag with the inking, word and one note etc open up very speedily. Only time I've experienced lag so far was in desktop IE with 13 tabs open. For small canvas work or touch ups the thing can even handle your photoshop (but I say that hesitantly as thats not what I purchased it for nor do I think its the right tool for the job, was testing it for someone). Loving the wider landscape mode too makes the split screen/snap view a lot more enjoyable.

2. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Another funny thing I found today that TPT2 is not using Gorilla Glass ( neither 1 no 2 ) , it uses AGC Dragontrail Glass and I dont know what the hell is that. I guess the washed out colored mentioned in ITPro's preview is resulted by this thing!

3. nniitt

nniitt Pen Pal - Newbie

what about playing 720p/1080p video? Can TPT2 handle it?

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

"Gorilla Glass" is just a brand of tough glass. There are other companies making this kind of product out there. The "ThinkPad" brand has been associated with durability and sturdiness for 2 decades (like Dell's Latitude and HP's EliteBook).... In all likelihood, the TPT2 -- as a whole -- is super tough....Just like the other ThinkPads before it. Until we see reviews, it's too early to dismiss the glass on the TP2T.

According to Intel, Clover Trail Atoms can play 720p videos smoothly. Videos at 1080p, on the other hand, play "ok". People in need of flawless 1080p playback in fullscreen should save themselves the trouble and purchase an i3 or i5 tablet instead. With my old i5 I can play two 1080p movies in fullscreen at the some time without hiccups using "extended display".

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Gorilla Glass is a Corning product. It is a well known anti-everything glass lol. But man, that Dragontail thing is just a mistery, and not a good one. Dragontail has just used in Xperia active a year ago. Something is fishy about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No great mystery. Dragontrail glass is a competitor for gorilla glass. It is chemically hardened glass. It is relatively new, being anounced at CES in 2011. It is made by Asahi glass which makes tempered auto glass.

7. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

So I tried a 3D pinball game on my Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T running an Intel Atom Z2760 CPU and it seemed to run it just fine. No issues as far as I could tell. It was fairly difficult to record and play at the same time, and I'm not that great at pinball anyway but it was just a test. You can check it out here:

3D Pinball On Atom Z2760 Clover Trail - YouTube

8. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait -- how did you already place an order?

Also, have you guys seen this? Estimated ship date is 12/31. Figure that's just a placeholder?

I want one of these things!!

9. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

For what its worth I have the Samsung XE500T Clover trail based tablet and can confirm it runs 720p and surprisingly 1080p fine even when multitasking. Test was conducted in cyberlinks dvd software (comes bundled) and once I enabled hardware acceleration was smooth as butter.

10. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Scribbler - Standard Member

Well this is a surprise:

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 with Windows 8

Two thinkpad tablet 2's @ 40% off? If my estimates are right, say $700 times 2 times 0.6, and you get $840. So $420 per tablet, before tax. Not bad, though what would I do with two of those?