Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Aug 2, 2012.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, decisions decisions. I had resigned myself to wait for the surface Pro, but in light of the battery life now I am taking a step back to the cloverfields. I really like the Lenovo the best, although the Dell puts up a good fight, but pricing will probably be my final deciding factor. MS has the best price so far $699 with the stylus and 64gb/2gb, anyone know if the Microsoft store one is missing anything for the $699?

Where are you seeing GPS in the specs? Comparing models on the Lenovo site they don't list GPS as a comparison factor.

edit: Ok looks like they are just selling it cheaper. Model # 367926U matches up to the other websites selling it for $749. I wouldn't mind a 3g one, but wtf is Lenovo selling the 3g one for $1479 ?!?!?! It's the same specs as the $699 one as far as I can tell just with the 3g, NFC card and WinPro for double the price.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

MS Store only sells the Windows 8 version with pen, not Windows 8 Pro. I think the encryption which is available in W8Pro is reachable through some third party apps but the Sideload apps which is a feature in W8Pro is not going to happen without using Pro version.

3. spinedoc77

Yeah the difference is Win8 Pro, NFC and the 3g, I just don't see why that would double the price, that's nuts. The Win8 pro upgrade is 70 bucks retail, so they are charging like $700+ for the NFC and 3g as far as I can tell.

4. spinedoc77

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

6. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep and it looks like they are actually available.

I am pretty happy with the 500t and I don't really want to go back to small display but if I don't see some cases for this thing soon this is looking like a good alternative.

In respect to the keyboard discussions earlier I use the 500t docked from time to time whilst on the couch and I haven't had any issues with it not being on a flat surface. The surface RT owner on the flight with me last week just couldn't get the viewing angle right trying to set it up on the tray and a lap was a no go and ended up just playing around with the device in his hands, was nice to have the flexibility of the dock to work away and have at least some form of adjustable angles

7. spinedoc77

I may buy that case and make believe I have the TPT2, lol. As for keyboards the more I think about it the more I think I would prefer a separate bluetooth keyboard. I have an apple keyboard and it's tiny, and works quite well. I would probably spring for this: Logitech Bluetooth® Illuminated Keyboard K810 It's the same size as the apple one but has backlit keys and some other goodies, and it's much smaller than any of the tablet docks I've seen. I would have a fold back cover for my tablet which would act as a stand.

So I'm 99.9% sure I'm getting the TPT2. Anyone know what kind of glass it uses? I see the Dell has the gorilla glass, I'm probably getting greedy here but I wish the TPT2 had this as well.

8. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

It uses a new type of glass called dragontrail, which is a competitor to gorilla 2.

9. spinedoc77

That's great information!!

10. Osiris

I see Lenovo Australia has 14 day return policy so might get one to test/review once I find a new home for the 700T

11. noxxle

if you google "tabook" you will find a pdf by lenovo with all the specs including dragontrail glass. the pdf gets updated about once a month. Google "ipbook" for specs on ideapad models.

12. spinedoc77

Very cool, interesting to read thru that.

Interesting about Dragontrail too: Dragontrail vs. Gorilla: The Super Tough Glass Game Is On | Fast Company
    "reporters at the event invited to try to damage a sample with a key"

13. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

No adjustable angle on the TPT2, though. Hopefully Lenovo will rethink that design.

14. Osiris

Yeah thats a fair consideration for people, if I went down that path I probably wouldn't worry about a keyboard though. I use my device mostly as a tablet, dock it occasionally but probably even less if I had a descent folio case.

15. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a very interesting document. I see that there's also a document covering models for Western Europe, which is of even more interest to me. Now I've just got to work out why the model numbers quoted for the WE Thinkpad 2 models bear absolutely no relation to the Lenovo model numbers for the same devices quoted by their retailers here in the Netherlands. Sigh.

The Lenovo WE document quotes:
    3679-23G - Thinkpad 2, no pen, Win 8
    3682-28G - Thinkpad 2, with pen, no NFC, Win 8 Pro
    3682-29G - Thinkpad 2, with pen, with NFC, Win 8 Pro

While Dutch retailers quote Lenovo model numbers as:
    N3S23MH - Thinkpad 2, Win 8 (not clear whether it has the pen or NFC)
    N3S25MH - Thinkpad 2, Win 8 Pro (not clear whether it has the pen or NFC)

Not very helpful.

16. Osiris

Aussie members are reporting that their orders have now reached final production and shipping to commence 10th Dec. Not sure how that ties in with the US etc but sounds like they are slowly getting there.

17. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Exciting. I'm hoping that my MS Store preorder will magically make it to my doorstep by Christmas.

18. pmf

pmf Pen Pal - Newbie

Engadget reports the TPT2 sailed through FCC testing, which is a great sign for it showing up soon. The bad news is that the model the FCC saw had 3G but no LTE. Makes me wonder if AT&T will be selling the only model with LTE.

Lenovo ThinkPad tab revisits FCC packing 3G radio, no LTE

19. noxxle

I ordered from provantage about a month ago. Today I received an email that the tablet is expected to ship on Dec. 11.

20. spinedoc77

Hmm, I'm tempted to pre order on Microsoft for $699, 50 bucks less than anywhere else, but it says estimated ship is 12/31/12. I'd probably just pay the 50 bucks to have it a couple of weeks early. I looked at provantage and couldn't find the TPT2 on there.