Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Kazy

Kazy Pen Pal - Newbie

I think lenovo's doing the standard "LIST PRICE" thing that it never sells at. Something to do with having to give discounts of at least a certain percentage to business/gov't.

2. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

I've found this video
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2

It's uploaded a week ago and its kinda strange that the guy struggles to bring up the charm bar. and when he's drawing, kinda delayed inking. Is 500T like this ?

3. Glory2online

Glory2online Pen Pal - Newbie

The following video shows the Thinkpad tablet 2 chram bar pretty responsive though
    [video=youtube;d0EfBDNqwvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0EfBDNqwvs[/video]

4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how to decode Lenovo product codes?

I'm seeing Thinkpad 2 info showing up on Dutch retailers (but not yet in stock).

There seem to be two variants priced at less than 10 euro difference. One product code ends in MH, the other ends in MB. The specs look exactly the same, so I'm wondering what, precisely, the difference is. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

To quote myself..

So apparently not a LOT more expensive: TPT min config with pen: $700, Surface Pro min config with pen: $900. Tough choice.

6. JoeS

To summarize:

TPT2 Pros
    - light
    - thin
    - cool
    - Wacom
    - long battery life
    - low cost
    - desktop dock
    - 3G/4G
    - GPS

Surface Pro Pros
    - 1080P display
    - kickstand
    - Fast
    - more SSD space
    - more internal memory
    - USB3

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

The TPT2 also seems to have GPS included, which the Surface Pro definitely does not.

8. JoeS

Good point, added. All of those options do add quite a bit to the cost, but at least it's good that you can add those if you need them.

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Lenovo needs to make a new keyboard-dock as the one they have now does not allow for adjustment of angles or closing of the lid!

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Agreed. Why the h*ll would they not include a clamshell style dock with an additional battery? Or provide options, if price is the issue. Perhaps the dock they are currenlty providing is cheaper. Ok. Offer that for those who don't care, one that's a clamshell with a battery for those who will pay more. It makes a great deal of sense, and seems very strange not to include it-- particularly because they're selling this device as a "productivity"/high-end tool.

11. manuelcalavera

Ativ 500T's clamshell keyboard is a joke when it's not on a flat surface. Maybe they did not want to release something thats not work as it should.

12. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

The battery life of the Surface Pro is probably much shorter than TPT 2 (half of RT). Another thing that I don't like is that the Pro weights about 2 LB.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  13. JoeS

Same for me. As much as I like the (apparent) build quality of the Surface Pro, I'm still thinking I'll be able to resist the Pro and get a 'dual' solution: my X220t for serious work (travel, desk work), and the TPT2 for annotation and reading.

14. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

OEMs are putting excessive focus on making cool-looking keyboard-docks. I'm sure it's possible to make those things more reliable if they "ugly-fy" them a tiny little bit. The other thing that is important to note is, people are buying the very first batch of Win8 tablets now, and as usual, new devices have flaws and bugs. The batch shipping by the Spring "might" have better keyboards. Let's hope.

I'm sure the first batch of Surface Pros will also have bugs and flaws. People are putting MS on a pedestal like they've done with Apple for the last decade....and that is bad. There were flaws on the keyboards of some Surface RTs! They were peeling!

15. donfed

donfed Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know the most reliable way for me to get a TPT2 before December 20th? I am leaving for a christmas trip and would like to have a new tablet before we fly out. Anyone know of stores that might have it available starting the 16th? This is assuming they even release it on time. I am hesitant to preorder anywhere

I have found a few online retailers claiming they have it available but what ones are the most reliable for fast shipping?

Shop BLT- Listed as having stock filled on the 18th
    ShopBLT.com: Lenovo Topseller Thinkpd Tablet2 Z2760 1.8g 2gb 64gb 10.1in W8p 32bit

Valley Seek- No listed date but on list for stock notification
    ValleySeek.com: Lenovo Group Limited 367927U Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 367927U 10.1" 64GB Slate Tablet - Yes - Intel - Atom Z2760 1.8GHz

JR- Emailed to ask about timeline
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 10.1" Multi-touch Tablet - 367927U in Portable Tablet PCs | JR.com

Amazon- Unavailable
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 10.1" Multi-touch Tablet - 367927U in Portable Tablet PCs | JR.com

MS Store- 12/31 Ship date
    Buy Lenovo ThinkPad 2 Tablet - 10.1-inch Windows 8 computer - Microsoft Store Online

Lenovo- Available the 16th with "standard shipping" (wouldn't say if there were faster options or not)

Best Buy- Talked to them but no one had any info on if they would have it.

16. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the TPT2 constructed the same as the original but with different internals/os?

17. manuelcalavera

my money is that the TPT2 would be available in 18th Dec just for pre-order and we get a 2 week or more for shipping .

18. pmf

pmf Pen Pal - Newbie

From everything I've heard so far, it seems to have to do with the size of the tablet itself. 11.6" seems to be the minimum for the clamshell designs to include a keyboard that's worth a damn. If you look at the Acer W510 which is 10.1 and includes a clamshell dock vs. the 500T the difference is pretty clear. The Acer dock looks pretty cramped on the keyboard, which is probably why you see the higher-end OEMs forgoing clamshell docks on their 10" models. Acer is well... you know.

Someone in another thread said it, but there really is no perfect Win8 tablet. They all have some major trade off.

19. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I see some sites listing it has GPS, has that been confirmed? Also I wonder why Microsoft has it for $699, everyone else has it for $749.

20. JoeS

Yes, GPS for the TPT2 has been confirmed, it's on the spec sheet that is finally up on the Lenovo site. I'm pretty sure it's not on all models though.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express