Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablet + dockable Keyboard Combo

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Aug 2, 2012.

1. kvoram

kvoram Pen Pal - Newbie

The specs for the Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 have leaked:

Display: 10.1", low-res 1366x768, 16:9 IPS, LED Backlight, Anti Glare, 10 finger multi-touch
    CPU: Intel Cloverview Dual Core Atom
    Graphics: Intel Intefrated HD SGX545
    Memory: 2GB
    HDD: 64 GB (e-MMC)
    Battery: 10 hrs. (30 Whr)
    Front Camera: 2 MP, 720p HD Webcam w/ LED (inside LCD)
    Back Camera: 8 MP, Auto Focus with Flash w/ LED (outside LCD), Motion JPG
    WiFi:802.11 a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth: 4.0
    Dimensions: 262,6 x 164 x 9,8 mm
    Weight: 650g
    Cover Material: MG frame, ABS cover
    Ports: Mini HDMI, 3.5 mm Combo Mic/Headphone, MicroSD slot, USB 2.0, Docking Connector
    Microphones: Dual Array: Digital Microphone w/ Noise Cancellation, VoIP, Noise Reduction
    Speaker: Stereo 1W@8ohm x2
    Buttons/Switches: Windows button, Power button, Audio volume switch, Rotation lock switch, Reset switch to disconnect battery input
    Sensors: GPS, Magnetometer, Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Vibrator, Sensor Hub
    FW-TPM (SW): All Models (user configurable)

OPTIONAL Features:
    - Digitizer & Pen
    - Fingerprint Reader & NFC (selected together)
    - Discrete TPM & TAA
    - WWAN: US: Gobi 4000 (LTE/HSPA+), ROW: Ericsson (HSPA+)

UNAVAILABE Features:
    - Smart Card
    - VGA; Display Port, APS, WIDI, USB 3.0

Keyboard Dock:
    - Thin, Chiclet Style with Pointing Stick and Left/Right mouse buttons but without Touchpad, probably no additional ports

Enterprise Dock:
    - Ports unknown

Sources:
    Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 Specs Leaked
    Lenovo Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2 aimed at iPad business users, includes pen input and dock | The Verge

Man, I am disappointed again. 16:9! low-res 1366x768! only Atom-CPU! no ports on the keyboard dock (separate "Enterprise Dock")!
    With the release of Windows 8 I was really hoping for a great Tablet-PC or Tablet + dockable keyboard combo from any of the business-oriented manufacturers (Fujitsu, Lenovo, HP...).
    Lenovo has first disappointed with their uninspiring X230T by sticking with a paltry 16:9 low-resolution 1366x768 screen and the keyboard switch.
    Then Fujitsu disappointed with their switch from good 16:10 screens to bad 16:9 screens. While their Tablet-PC T902 increased the resolution to 1600x900, the Slate+Keyboard Combo Q702 features only 1366x768.
    16:9 is far inferior to 16:10, why can't anyone do it right?
    I really hope that HP doesn't screw up too with their upcoming Elitebook 2770p.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It does seem a small bit fake and the stylus has just been slapped onto the first picture. :/ Looks interesting and I'd love Lenovo to release official stats. If it features a fantastic keyboard and Wacom, possibly N-trig, I'd consider it.

Atom = Not that bothered as long as it's dual core
    No ports on the keyboard dock = Whaaaaa!!! Hope it at least has a secondary battery
    Disappointed = This is, as we know, the way of the Windows oems. ZzzZzzzz We'll probably get better kit on the second set of machines

Elitebook 2770p = This is the one that I'm waiting for as I have a 2760p next to me. I'd love to be able to use the same docking station. Other than that I'm still open and haven't decided on any device.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I wonder what's behind the industry's stupidity to insist in 16:9 screens? Are they so much cheaper than 16:10 ones? I know Apple owns the 4:3 stock till 2025, but what's the OEMs excuse to push 16.9 on us? It kills portrait mode! Can't they see that?

People complain about low resolution, but at the same time they praise Microsoft for the new Metro interface. Metro wastes dozens of pixels with its big UI elements (tiles, buttons, switches and the stupid ribbons). That's paradoxical....

There will be other models with i5 processors, I'm sure. This is just the tip of the iceberg. People for a while were complaining so much about battery life that Intel had to put more money on R&D for Atom CPUs. The HP Slate 2 with its slower CPU-GPU combo and a meager 30 min of extra juice was the result of that insane drive. Now that we finally have Atoms with 7+ hours of battery life, people complain about CPU speed....

People want their tablets to be thin, but they also want them to be fast, run super cool, have lots of ports and be durable.... The iPad has created a lot of unrealistic expectations on people.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

16:9 is a shame, but that's Win8. However, I just don't get this idea where this sort of res on a 10" tablet is low res. Pretty good res to me. Additionally, dual core Clovertrail should perform just as well as a lot of core2duos-- more than adequate enough for all normal usage. NTrig is a shame if true, but the rest seems pretty reasonable for a non-Pro class tablet. I don't understand the complaints here. I mean, what are people expecting for the expected price point?

5. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't see what the fuss over 16:9 is. I have never used any of my Tablet PC in portrait mode... why can't people just ink and read in landscape mode?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Also the Pro Level Tablets that are coming soon we're going to see the 1920x1080 resolution in the 10-12" Screen Size on Windows 8 Tablets and Convertibles, so I think we do ok with that resolution :)

7. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't see a silo in any of the pictures, which would be odd since the Thinkpad Tablet offers it. It looks pretty similar to the Tablet, with volume and battery button placement hasn't changed. My Tablet has some charm about(can't really put my finger on it). I hope that they offer 160gb ssd for this, as this could be my next device; that is if battery life, and screen is good at a fair price.

8. e-schreiber

It's nice to have options. Windows and PCs used to be about options.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

10. e-schreiber

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I can't tell the difference by looking at them, but one of the commenters said the stylus appeared to be Wacom, not N-Trig. Anyone here got an opinion?

[​IMG]

12. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wonder if that is the next generation N-Trig device. The tip looks N-Trig to me.

13. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From what I can see the tip, the total total length, and width of the stylus it self is different than what came with my Thinkpad tablet, and that is N-Trig. The tip also looks to be a bit smaller with softer plastic looking material vs the black plastic on mine. Over all I like the stylus and device, but I guess now we have to wait and see what the final specs and performance will be like.

14. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not sure if this is a defining feature, but the back doesn't look like the eraser that I'm used to on Wacom pens.

15. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

my issue is that it's rocking an atom chip. Needs IB if I was too drool.

2d

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There's always the Surface Pro. Between the screen resolution and the processor, I think the ThinkPad Tablet 2 (inspired name, guys) was meant to seriously undercut in pricing the 1080p, Ivy Bridge Surface Pro. The Surface Pro is the aspirational tablet for individuals to purchase; the Tablet 2 is the one your boss will actually approve the funding for and distribute to the entire sales force.

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Looks like pricing of the Thinkpad Tablet 2 will be $600-$700. Also looks like Lenovo will sell an IdeaPad tablet running Windows RT for $400ish.

Windows 8 RT tablets to sell for $300 less than Intel-based counterparts, says Lenovo exec -- Engadget

(Ignore Engadget's speculation that because the Surface will cost $199 (unconfirmed rumor and unlikely) that the Thinkpad Tablet 2 will cost $300 to $500...that's directly contradictory to what Schmoock himself said).

18. e-schreiber

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  19. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Huh. Well, we've definitely got another one to add to the list. Full Windows 8, pen silo, potentially a reasonable keyboard dock (although it doesn't look like the angle is changeable), looks like Wacom by the pen, etc etc Neat. There's gonna be a few of 'em!

20. e-schreiber

For a while, I've wondered about the ability to change angles in these new detachables... I can't remember seeing them doing that in any video. Perhaps that won't be a possibility in any of them. That's sure a useful feature.