Lenovo Thinkvision LT1423p - A bunch just showed up on eBay for $44 ea

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by thatcomicsguy, Aug 22, 2021.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Marty likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting. I'm trying to think if this would allow me to annotate a PPT while presenting. I'm thinking launch PowerPoint on the PC in the conference room, placing the PowerPoint window on this thing, hit 'present' which would put the PPT on the projector, while keeping the presenter view on this monitor, allowing markup. Maybe?

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I still have one somewhere. Even at $44, its not worth it in my opinion. The screen quality is crap, pen performance is one of the worst uses of EMR I've ever seen, the display link drivers never work well and the monitor crashes somewhat often. (and I've tried it with 4 different PCs). Even just as a second monitor, and not as a makeshift-cinitq, its a subpar product.

4. JoeS

OUCH!!! :D

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

To make matters worse, that ebay auction does not include the cable or siloed pen. And unfortunately, that cables not a standard USB-Type A, and the monitor came out before C. I'm drawing a blank on the name of that specific cable, I've seen a few portable hard drives that had such a cable, but you would need to get this cable, and likely a USB-splitter (or a type C adapter) Some USB type A devices can run the Lt1423p from the single cable, but most of my devices required a second USB-port for power, so the default cable came with an adapter that split the other end of the cable into two type A plugs. However if you plug that single cable into a type C adapter, and connect it to a USB-C port, that should do the trick.

And while the included EMR pen never worked well, third Party EMR pens were even worse of a disaster. I think Wacom might have influenced Lenovo to deliberately do a piss poor job on the pen.

image-asset.jpeg image-asset.jpeg

Marty and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

Oh yeah, I know those, I have a few that came with WD External HDDs. Interesting choice for a display cable :confused:

7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's not a special connector, just an uncommon one.

It's just a Micro USB 3.0 (Micro-B), which was essentially a holdover until USB C was agreed upon (which took longer than it should have). It's pretty much a Micro USB 2.0 (Micro-B) bodged together with some more pins, which does make it somewhat more durable if a bit of an ungainly monster. Pretty much only HDD manufacturers used it though.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah well. That pretty much kills that; you get what you pay for. Thanks for the insight!

-And I've long suspected Wacom of exactly that kind of practice. It must be challenging in the digital era to create an artificial quality gradient with your software releases. It's not like they're saving money by using cheaper parts. Cut & Paste has no parts. They're not building cars.

Reputable software companies just toggle features and tell you straight up what you get in the "Pro" version. But when you're doing it on the sly with a licensed version in order to maintain quality dominance...

I wonder if Lenovo even knew they were getting substandard drivers? I also wonder if Microsoft's decision to develop their own pen tech was that they knew what Wacom was doing and just got fed up with them. Because the blowback never lands at Wacom's feet! It lands on the desk of the poor tech support guy at whatever company licensed the Wacom gear. (I tormented the guy at Dell's tech support. I kept telling him to direct me to the software engineering department so I could talk to somebody who could actually understand and fix the problem. And he kept uncomfortably sidestepping the request. Three days of that before I finally just gave up and decided to live with Wacom's treachery.)

I wonder if there was ever talk of lawsuits? It seems like the kind of thing you could push if you really wanted. Probably not; I bet people just didn't know or care enough to push it. Plus.., there's always ninjas to consider.

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, as a Japanese company, Wacom would likely be defended to death by the Japanese government. That said, Samsung seem to have gotten some sway with their stake, but even they have limited functionality in some way compared to the screen graphics tablets Wacom make.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I think it is called USB-3 micro. Samsung had it on its Note 3 and Asus on some portable monitor. They wiggle a lot.

thatcomicsguy likes this.