Lenovo (ThinkVision LT1423) touch & Stylus wireless monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tor, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

odd that the pressure doesn't work in Sketchbook Pro..it doesn't use Wintab so the Feel it Driver shouldn't make a difference. However not all the brushes in Sketchbook Pro use pressure...The basic pencil brush however should be pressure sensitive.

I would agree with making a dedicated Review Thread.

Plenty of Pics is of course recommend. In numerous lighting conditions if you can (outdoor, inside under heavy bright lights, etc) so we can gauge how well the screen brightness and viewing angles hold up.

Also since this is only a display monitor....the computer its connected to is also quite important. Could you please detail the specs of the machine your using it with, like wither or not its a Desktop, Laptop, Tablet PC, Haswell cpu or Ivy Bridge...etc

Also are you using the Wireless or the Wired LT1423p?

I would have alot of questions about the Wireless ones...but if you have the Wired Version without the Battery, if you use in with a Laptop or Tablet PC, exactly how much of a drain does it have on the battery? Like if you're laptop normally lasts 4 hours on battery, does using the LT1423p knock it down to 2 or 3 Hours?

And does the Multi-touch work only on Windows 8, or does it work on 7 too?

and my last question (at least for now) ....would you have access to a Macbook or an Imac you could try connecting it to and see if it works connected to a Mac?

Wacoms Feel It Driver may not work....but I'm holding out Hope for the old Modbook Drivers. Which you can find here..

Axiotron's Modbook Service & Support | EMCS

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    thatcomicsguy and stoneseeker like this.
  2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I finally got mine and I took some unboxing pics for everyone's viewing pleasure...

First impressions are that the hardware is pretty nicely built. The finish and feel are what I'd expect from a Think-branded product, no poorly fitting parts and minimal flex. The tablet is rubberized to the same extent as current ThinkPads, but the case is bare plastic. I have the wired version and the tablet weighs 1lb 14oz on it's own and 3lbs exactly with the case. The pen is identical to the one in the Helix, save for a different trim on the eraser (or lack of eraser) end. It comes with a USB extension/splitter for additional power, but so far I've been able to use it with a single header without any problem.

The software story isn't quite as rosy... The tablet shows up as a 4GB flash drive when you connect it, on which is the setup file for the DisplayLink drivers and a digital manual. The DisplayLink drivers worked fine for the most part, but Lenovo does not include any drivers for the Wacom part of the tablet.

Using the latest Feel It drivers, I spent an hour trying to get it to work with my x220t, no avail. The display part works, but I keep getting USB device malfunction errors, which I assume are why the tablet part doesn't work. I assume the bigger issue is that the x220t already has a Wacom digitizer, but this really shouldn't have to be a problem.

On a Latitude E6400 I was able to get the display and tablet to work, but only with the pen. You have to tell the Wacom driver that the lt1423p is the display with the pen digitzer, or it acts like the lt1423p is a Intuos/Bamboo style tablet. As far as I can tell there is no way to do this configuration for the touch component, so it keeps acting like a Intuos/Bamboo style tablet for touch inputs.

It's the same story on my docked T430 with two external displays, but after telling the Wacom driver that the lt1423p is the display with the pen digitzer, the calibration function still tries to calibrate one of my standard monitors. Very frustrating that this doesn't just work out of the box.

Overall a mixed bag so far... not sure if I can do much more testing for now as I have to travel soon, and if I can't get it to work with the x220t, I probably won't take it with me. It seems like in the use case where you have this attached to a regular laptop that isn't connected to anything else, it should work fine, but it seems like the Wacom drivers really aren't meant to work with anything more, which is really kind of an oversight to me.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that the x220t pen does work, though the pressure sensitivity curve seems to be a little different. There is also a little bit of the edge tracking issue that plagued the x220/230t digitizers, but the band and deviation are a little smaller. Still annoying though.

EDIT2: Got pen working on the lt1423p with the x220t by disabling the internal digitizer and rebooting a lot. Pen seems to work relatively consistently now, it just takes a while for everything to be recognized after you connect it. Still no touch.

To answer a couple of the above questions:

Normal laptop idle power: 5.5W
    Idling with the lt1423p off: 8.5W
    Idling with the lt1423p at lowest brightness: 10.5W
    Idling with the lt1423p at highest brightness: 13W

Using the tablet seems to add about a watt, but that could be due to Photoshop doing stuff or the digitizer working... basically it can pull up to 10W under heavy load, which is pretty hefty; you could be halving battery runtimes on machines with sub-10W idle/low-load power draw.

Like the lowest spec x220t... i3 2310m, 8GB, 80GB SSD.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

...a 13 watt max drainage....hefty indeed. Since I would be using it at full brightness...coupled with my S7S I would deffinitly need AC power packing it up. However this does make the Wireless Version's Battery Pack all the more appealing.

4. oranjoose

oranjoose Pen Pal - Newbie

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Commander Wolf:

Thanks for the review!
    Have you tried disabling certain services to combat the driver conflicts on the X220t? You need to go in to the services.msc and disable (stop the services and also set them to disable under their properties) both the Wacom touch driver AND the Wacom pen driver. Then make sure the Wacom LT1423p driver (I am assuming they have a specific driver Lenovo custom built with Wacom for the LT1423p) is in fact set to automatic and enabled. That should do the trick. Reset and see what happens. You should have the PC now defaulting touch and pen to that external monitor as it should be. If that doesn't work you could try also disabling the tabletPCinput service, but I would think that should always be left on for it to work proper.

Its sad that the conflict is happening though. A Wacom cintiq PL15x will work fine with both drivers running at the same time, enabling you to work on both screens with the same pen simultaneously, so its too bad this one doesn't appear to work the same.

Did you try using pen and touch before downloading the recommended drivers for it? (ie. JUST using the X220t wacom drivers already on your computer?)

6. greenblob

greenblob Pen Pal - Newbie

Does this work properly on a computer/laptop with a dedicated GPU?

7. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I can tell, they don't, and I do think that is part of the problem. I am using the latest Wacom Feel It drivers, which are the same ones that I was using for the x220t.

I did and it didn't work, but I may have given up too fast before reinstalling the driver... likewise it's still the same driver, there is no special driver for the Wacom part.

The Latitude E6400 with which I tested had the NVS160M, so yes, it should work with something with a dGPU.

8. greenblob

greenblob Pen Pal - Newbie

Huh. Normally monitors have to connect directly to your GPU, so if a USB monitor works, that'd be a pleasant surprise. Can you try playing some games on it?

9. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

10. oranjoose

oranjoose Pen Pal - Newbie