Lenovo (ThinkVision LT1423) touch & Stylus wireless monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tor, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo ThinkVision LT1423 Adds a Wireless Touch Screen to Your Laptop

Could this be the poor man´s Cintiq?

Finally someone builds the missing part. No confirmation on the pen provider (256 pressure levels confirmed).
    Don't believe Wacom would allow her tech on this monitor but will keep my fingers crossed.
    Hope others will follow with better resolutions (and format 16:10) or at list better price.
    350$/450$(wi-fi model)

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

3. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

humm that's a all-in-one pc laying down flat or an oversize tablet -->To spencive and bulky to be anything more than a prototype with today's tech, but kudos to lenovo to push it anyway.

Now a portable monitor with stylus! That as potential. I always expected Microsoft to push something like this as they are the ones who would benefit the most, giving a reason to the 99% of the windows users that don't have a touch screen to upgrade to W8

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I already made a thread about this in headline news. I'm taking my Penabled pens to CES to confirm if this unit is Wacom. IMO, it's 99% chance that it is.

If it is Wacom Penabled, it's great news for art students, and I suspect that Wacom is allowing this because their 12WX replacement (let's call it 13WSX for now) would also be battery powered.

5. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

The announcement for this in other languages describe it as using an active wacom digitizer and I am only waiting for Shogmaster to confirm before I get excited about this.

True, it will most likely be using the penabled hardware instead of the clearly superior intuos/ cintiq tech but for it's price we finally get something with the appropriate price for the parts used to construct it instead of the cintiq line which has a ridiculous markup regardless of what version you get.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't understand the wifi version. Can the host PC be connected to wifi (for internet) and connect to this 2nd monitor via wireless? Can the host PC be connected to a wired LAN (which usually disables wifi on most laptop), and still connect to the 2nd monitor via wireless?

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

My guess is it is an implementation of Miracast or WiDi....

8. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo ThinkVision LT1423p Mobile Monitor hands-on - YouTube

I'm glad to see that the wired version uses USB 3.0 and is 1600 x 900. This is much improved over last year's model which used USB 2.0 and was 1366 x 768 iirc. You can see in the video that the performance of the wired model looks to be very fluid (comparatively, at least). This isn't the case with the wireless model, though the built-in battery is very nice. I wonder if the wireless model will still be able to be plugged in via USB 3.0 when doing things that require more bandwidth (playing video, for example, stuttered a lot on last year's model).

This might be my solution to compromising in screen size on modern hybrid devices that are ~10-11". I love the productivity a 13-15" monitor provides, but few of the great pen-enabled tablet devices are in that size range.

The Wacom digitizer is nice, though I'd have to think about how I'd integrate it into my workflow, since I'd still want my main device to have a digitizer. I can see how it would be useful if you didn't, however.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. damianbedoya

damianbedoya Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Shogmaster. I was reading about the new lenovo monitor ThinkVision LT1423p and though it was a great idea, but then I saw the ThinkPad tablet 2 and thought that maybe there is a way to get the TPT2 to act as second monitor. If that was possible its seems to me that it would possibly be a better buy given that you get a full computer for only $150 more than the ThinkVision LT1423p.

Do you know if its possible to make the ThinkPad Tablet 2 act as a second monitor that is capable of mirroring and use the pen as input device?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.