Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14" Gen 2 USA

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by soh5, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjihm

Benjihm Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! I didn't know that. Out of interest, do you know if the TruPen's nibs work for the Bamboo Smart too? I was considering getting it but didn't see replacement nibs for it either.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes all of these tips are interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjihm likes this.
  3. Benjihm

Benjihm Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! You've been really helpful, I appreciate it.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  4. erajsalman

erajsalman Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there anyway to reassign the functions of the fn keys? I do not need the pointless ones currently assigned to f9-f12 and would rather get media control function. I don't understand leaving those out for what they put in...

Any help would be appreciated. http://imgur.com/a/fASTw

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

hi guys.

what kind of mixed usage battery life you getting frm the 56 whr i5 5200u yoga 14?

thank you guys

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Mixed usage on a new battery- 6-8 hrs for me. Browsing, Office, Onenote, Sketchup, Video. Straight movie watching is 3-4 hours. If I'm just doing Word or something and I'm working remotely, so I turn off wifi, I can get 8+ pretty easily.

Not bad battery life, but not fantastic either. Adequate for my needs though, given the other benefits, plus the price point.

Yao likes this.
  7. Steve B

It's nice having a servicable machine. :) It's also nice having a Thinkpad and having really good warranty service. :D

Just sent my TPY 14 in to have the charging port replaced. Mine broke off- I could run the device when plugged in but couldn't charge the battery. Made the call and got the box to send it to them in about 2 days. Shipped it off to them on a Monday or Tuesday, and got it back on a Saturday afternoon. Pretty quick turnaround, and all is working well! Happy camper. I've always had great warranty service with my Thinkpads.

I also just self-installed a new battery before I sent it off to the depot (thinking the battery was the issue originally). I use Battery Bar, and my average draw is 5000-10000 mWh, so I'm getting 5-10 hours of battery life. Averaging 7-8 again. Lovely!

Gotta say, 18 months on, this has been a great laptop, and an absolute steal at 750$. My wife has one too and its been a breeze. Absolutely no problems at all. Love the move up to 14", not bad sound, great keyboard and trackpoint, not bad battery life, super quiet fan and runs cool anyways, superb warranty service, penabled. AES is ok at best, but my pen needs are limited to occasional landscape architecture-style design work and it does the job. Aggressive note taking sessions occur on a smaller EMR device.

Could it be a bit brighter? Yes, I wouldn't mind 400-450 nits. Better sound is always appreciated. Better pen input wouldn't hurt either. I also wouldn't mind one last jump to 15.6". The Samsung Pro 9 is tempting as it checks many of those boxes, but it's also about 2x the cost. What I really want is the Lenovo 720 to be released as a Thinkpad. For now, this little puppy keeps chugging along. A quality used laptop for those looking for a penabled deal on a bigger screen with discreet GPU.

8. Steve B

I know it’s like an echo chamber in here, but just to say- Not sure if there was an update or something, but for the first time in about a year, instant on is working again.

Pretty good machine. It was something that was bugging me, and it seems to working the way it should again. Nice!

I have to say- I love that I can replace the battery myself. I’m definitely getting 6-8 hours with normal usage. Perhaps 8-10 on rare occasions. Happy camper.

JoeS likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Not quite an echo chamber, Steve! I have a Gen 1 (Haswell) TPY 12 and am loving it in the same way and for all the same reasons as you love your 14! Fact is, I bought it in 2014 for $400 as an open box and have never upgraded the SSD (still 128GB 2.5" SATA!) or the wifi simply because the way in which I use this doesn't require me to. I have an i5-4300 w/8GB (soldered) but there is a free slot for an m2 SSD and I think I will finally break down and get one because I'm at around 60% full (mostly use cloud storage - but see also below) and the one major drawback of the machine is the SATA speed, which is pretty decent for all but sequential and 4k writes, for which it is abysmal, plus I'd like the luxury of using the internal drive more often. Otherwise, this has perhaps the brightest display Lenovo has put in a Thinkpad, it's a 400 nit, FHD, matte surface 12.5" screen with only so-so color gamut but decent accuracy post-calibration (and when first release had apparent ghosting issues but mine had the retrofit already done, and I just love the brightness when I need it, especially since it's also virtually non-glare. My 3 yr on-site wtty just ended (no longer extendable) and I rarely used it, but it was great to have. Of course, the ugradeability/maintainability of the machine, plus its WACOM EMR digitizer make it an increasingly rare find. I mostly use it for note taking and often grab for it when I just need to do basic office tasks because it's so darn reliable and comfortable. I still get about 5 hrs for gen. use on a full battery, but can stretch it to near 7 with some battery "hygiene." Also, the battery is down to 88% of design capacity and I will soon replace it, and that should get me back to 6+ hrs all the time and over 7 with adjustments. What's not to like?

So, since we're talking, I wanted to see if I could pick your brains on an issue that really stymied me. When I realized I was running short of SSD space I stuck a pretty fast 128GB SD card in, hoping to x-fer much of what I had on the SSD (then @ near 90% full). When I tried to do anything with the SD card I got errors saying I was not "authorized" to make changes to the SD card. That included trying to format it (though it didn't need it, it was an attempt to get around the problem, in case there was something corrupted), write to it, move files to it - from anywhere. I tried several different SD cards, pre-formatted, working on other machines, with files on them (which I could read, just not erase or write-to), and of course made sure the write protect tabs were in the right place. Also, I am the only authorized user account and have supervisory privileges, though I played around with that too, just to try and lick the problem. I googled the bejeezus out of the problem and just never got near paydirt, though there's plenty written about the type of error message, just nothing that seemed like it applied. Of course, this came up about 1 month after the 3-yr wtty expired! The "solution" I chose was to take Google Drive-synced files off the SSD and free up 40% of the drive and resolved to put a new SSD in the m2 slot - which I haven't., due to lack of pressing need and many other competing needs!

Any thoughts on this? I did a 1/2 ass job of searching these forums for the issue but never posted it, never found anything right on point. I've never encountered this with any other machine. Btw, I'm running W10 Creators Update. Everything else on this machine works flawlessly, hdwe and sftwe. Anyway, sorry for such a long post. Thoughts appreciated. Fellow "vintage" TPY "afficionado," Jeff

10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Your issue with the SD card sounds like it could be a policy that's preventing you from accessing it fully? If you have Windows Pro it might be worth having a poke about to see if the SD has been locked down by a policy. If you're on Home it's will take a bit of messing about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.