Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14" Gen 2 USA

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by soh5, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

The ThinkPad X1 Yoga was announced recently and all of the systems so far show up to i7 6500U; it's basically a better ThinkPad Yoga 14/260/460 without the dedicated GPU and if the CPU isn't present in those devices I don't think we will see it in any of their earlier products.

2. InvincibIe

InvincibIe Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had this specific issue, however my A key has become stiff and doesn't have the same feel as the other keys. I'm honestly not sure how to go about fixing this, but it has really been bugging me lately.

3. fb1996

fb1996 Pen Pal - Newbie

Both the ThinkPad X1 Yoga and the ThinkPad Yoga 260 will be available with the Core i7-6600U.
    http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool\Sys/PDF/Think Tablets _ Convertibles/ThinkPad X1 Yoga (1st Gen)/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_specs.pdf
    http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool\Sys.../ThinkPad Yoga 260/ThinkPad_Yoga260_specs.pdf

I see no reason why the ThinkPad Yoga 460 shouldn't be available with the Core i7-6600U as well.

4. i2000s

i2000s Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The system board cr*pped out on my x230t this weekend, so I've picked up a Best Buy TPY 14 as (at the least) an interim device as the other gets repaired, and I have to say, I'm very impressed. I've been pondering getting one for months, but didn't have much of a reason. It sounds strange to suggest I'm glad the other one has issues, but wow- it's like coming out of the dark ages.

Pen Input-
    First- in a program like Sketchbook Pro, the included super capacitor pen is wonderful. I can't believe I'm saying it, but yes, wonderful. I had some chunkiness and vectoring in OneNote when I used the device at the store, and was rather concerned about the pen input when I bought it- but as I needed a device right now, I went for it anyways. I've returned a number of otherwise great devices, like the SP3 (and have tested stuff like the SP4) and returned them, at least in part, because I was dissatisfied with the pen experience. So, I consider myself pretty picky. But after a windows wipe back to factory settings, my test on Sketchbook Pro has been very satisfying. My mind is at ease on this one, and it was a big concern. I wish the pen was bigger, and that he buttons were more easily findable, and I may try to score or mark them in some way if I keep this device, but I have absolutely no gripes about the pen stroke.

edit- it's probably worth saying that the ever present "slow-diagonal" test provides unsatisfactory, wobbly lines. So, if that's the defining element of pen computing for you, then this device fails. However, I find that beyond that the pen stroke and pressure curve is very, very nice. No vectoring. Smooth ramp up of pressure input. No tails. I love it. Of course, I'm not using the pen __all day__, which might make this small pen a concern, but for my use, this is more than adequate- it's good. It's clearly better than the SP pens I've used. Even the new SP4 pens, or the Vaio Ntrig pen.

Trackpad-
    I find the trackpad really very good too. So good, in fact, that I'm using it (in conjunction with the touchscreen) instead of the trackpoint, and I've used a trackpoint almost exclusively for 5 years or so now. I know there's been some gripes on the boards about this trackpad. I have an ALPS, and I don't know if that's the good one or a bad one, but even though its not as buttery-smooth as my wife's MacBook Air, it's still very good, and light years better than my x230t, which bordered on completely unusable. I set it up last night, and I find it very responsive. Great tactile feel to the surface.

Fan-
    Another big concern was heat and noise, but so far it seems remarkably cool and quiet. Yes, the bottom gets a tiny bit warm, but it's out by the hinge. The palmrest is staying cool, and when the fan runs, it's very quiet and soft on the ears. I think it also helps (in terms of how loud it feels) that it points out the back and not on the sides. So, sound is buffered by the screen, and heat goes away from me.

Speakers-
    I'm satisfied with sound quality too. Yes, Thinkpads have generally been terrible, and so, in its own way, I was satisfied with the terrible sound quality of the x230t because it was (at the least) adequate and was definitely better than the x200t I had before it (which was laughable). But I honestly find the sound quality really very good on this one. I think it's easily as good as my wife's MacBook Air from 2011. Hahaha- it's nice to know Thinkpads are catching up to Macs on this account, 5 years later! Volume is noticeably higher on this new Thinkpad, and there's definitely a bit rounder, fuller sound, with some bass to it. I'm sure I'd have a hard time filling a room with it, but when I'm at a desk or the laptop's in my lap or just a few feet away, it's very nice.

Size and Weight-
    Of course, its much much thinner than my x230t (1/2"!!), and even though it weighs the same and has a slightly longer footprint, that thinness really helps it feel "lighter". It doesn't feel like a big laptop to me when I carry it around. However, the screen feels remarkably bigger than the 12.5" devices I've had for years, but not too big. It still fits on my lap. Though I couldn't imagine trying to use a 15.6" device on my lap. I think that would seem huge.

Keyboard-
    Typing experience might be a bit shallower than my x230t, but is still very nice. Bottoms out with a nice little bouncy spring to it. Nice spacing on the keys. I also am surprised by how much I enjoyed having the backlight on the keys last night. Very useful and gentle on the eyes! Also, I like that the Fn keys can now be automatically set to be the more useful mute/volume buttons/ brightness buttons, etc. These were NOT buttons I could productively set to these functions automatically with my x230t, even in the bios or with the FN lock, and was a consistent gripe of mine with it. It's nice to have that issue solved. I liked having dedicated buttons on their own row in the distant past, yes, but it's also nice that my hands are brought closer to the screen, now that I have a touchscreen. This makes touch input much more ergonomic, and helps a bit with gorilla arm. So, the extra row of buttons is not something I'm missing.

Battery Life-
    Nothing definitive yet, but it's clearly better. I want to say I'm getting something in the 6-7 hour range for average use- browsing, some Office work, a bit of video, etc. It'd be nice if I was really getting 8-10 hours, as that would put it over the hump into true "all day" territory, but it's still better than my x230t, and it has a much bigger screen to power. I'm satisfied with it, given what I'm comparing it to and everything else that's offered in the package, but it's the least "wow" moment for the device.

Screen-
    Yes, 14" is a nice upgrade. I can easily see how having multiple windows on this will be easier on the eyes. The screen res is nice, and I'm running it at 150%. I wish scaling was better in Windows, but that's the way it goes. Otherwise, it's crisp and sharp, and so far seem bright enough. We'll see how I feel once I take it outside. An important test for me, given the 300 nit max. But screen tech is improving, and nits aren't the only important measurement. So, I'm hopeful. Otherwise, inside, I have no gripes at all. Very nice screen. Bright enough. Good res. A clear upgrade for me. Of course, I'm not a digital artist doing color reproduction or something, so ymmv depending on how you're going to use the device.

In total-
    I dunno folks. I gotta say, as a long time Thinkpad user I had my doubts the thinner builds and whatnot, but I'm very impressed and pleased with it. For 1000$ out the door, including tax, it just seems like a helluva deal. So much so I may be keeping this and selling my much loved x230t when I get it back all fixed up. The TPY 14 gen 2 is light years better, IMO, than almost every aspect of the x230t- bigger screen, quieter fan in a better location, good alternative pen input tech, good key travel and feel, dedicatable buttons for brightness and volume, backlit keyboard, way better trackpad, touchscreen included, way better speakers, battery life looks better, and .5" thinner to boot. The jump from the x230t to this this is tremendously more impressive than the jump from the x200t to the x230t. And for 1K.

I'll be interested to try it outside, as I occasionally have to work in my truck, at a café, or in a garden, so I'm sure the comparatively reduced brightness and the glossy screen will be an issue in those bright light situations, but that's something I can probably fix with a screen protector, or just deal with for the infrequent times I work in those conditions with my laptop, given all the rest of the goodness this device is giving me.

All I can say is- if you want to buy it you should. I'm very excited about this. I have a 500 gb ssd that I got during Black Friday, that I'm considering putting in this. We'll see what bumps I run into as time moves on, but I don't normally have honeymoon periods with devices. Instead, have frustration periods with devices, where I figure out all the things I can't do with them that I wish I could. So far, however, this one seems like a home run for me.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Selofain, ships10 and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

How refreshing to hear from a happy user for once. :) Congrats on the new machine!

Steve B likes this.
  7. Steve B

Ok- had my first wrinkle pop up. Wifi is really weak. I've. Never had a laptop do this. But in different areas of the house that are far from the router, the signal completely drops- areas where my old x230t had no issues. Is this a driver thing? Or is it a a wifi card thing? I like this thing so much, I thought it might be worth putting in a better wifi card, if that would help. I don't know much about this though

Also- a win 10 question or two- is there a way to easily select power plans? I find it highly annoying that I can't choose one at a click. Same goes for changing the brightness. Sometimes when the wifi drops, I want to go to High Performabce, but it's a pain to go though all the screens to get there. Thoughts?

8. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

This may be related to Windows power settings. Have you checked that the WiFi card is running on full-power @ battery?

Changing the power plan -> Right click on the battery symbol in the taskbar, select "poweroptions". Then you can change the plan in the opening window.

Changing brightness -> Left click on the battery symbol in the taskbar. There you can change the brightness.

9. Steve B

I'll double check that, but I think I already set them all to Max Performance. Will scroll through a couple of plans to double check. However, I did find out there was a newer driver available, so that may help as well- I just updated it. I also went into the Power Management tab in Device Manager, and turned off "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power". Hoping the combination of the new driver, the removal of this power option, and the fact that I'm always giving the wifi max power in the power plan will add up to a difference. I don't need super fast wifi, just a consistent signal. !

What's odd is you used to (in Win7), right click the battery and get 2 quick options for power plans you could switch to. What you showed is a good alternative though. An improvement. For brightness, I was hoping for some way to have a more nuanced shift in brightness- the current win10 option only allows for shifts of 25%, which seems odd. Is there a way to change that?

10. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

I think Microsoft is in the process to convert most of the control-panel settings to the new Settings app, eventually ending in removing the control panel altogether, which is something that will happen in future Windows 10 versions. That may explain why they removed that option, the "legacy" options are still in place, but the new energy settings system is also being created (with Energy Saver mode).

I don´t think there is a way to finetune the brightness settings, other then to use the old power options, or by using the brightness keys on the keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.