Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14" Gen 2 USA

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by soh5, Jun 25, 2015.

1. gesturepoke

gesturepoke Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I went ahead and installed Windows 10 because I got tired of waiting for the automatic upgrade. It's fixed the eraser issue with Photoshop, but I'm still having trouble with the eraser in Onenote. I really want to pick up a random object and throw it right now.

As for the battery level indicator, you have to have the "show battery status in the taskbar" option checked. After that, you can find the battery indicator on the right side of the taskbar. If you can't find it, check the arrow next to the computer's batter icon.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

The active pen appears to be an option on all the TPY 14 versions; i3, i5, and i7.
    Unless I'm looking at this wrong, the i7 model doesn't appear to have the nvidia graphics option. The i5 has 4GB RAM buy default but you can choose to upgrade to 8GB. I assume i5 is not noticeable slower than i7?
    Even ignoring the pen, is this laptop considered good value for money, or would you be looking at something else in that price range if the pen were of no concern?

3. gesturepoke

gesturepoke Pen Pal - Newbie

Which site(s) are you researching? The only digitized TPY 14 I know of has an i5 processor and comes with 8GB RAM out the box- no upgrade necessary.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lack/7067032.p?id=1219668752948&skuId=7067032

To answer your questions, though, i5s aren't noticeably slower than i7s, but it also depends on what you're using the computer for. You won't notice a huge difference in performance between the 2 processors unless you're using programs like Maya or Autocad. And even without the pen, I'd still say the TPY 14 is a good deal, especially when you consider the fact it has a dedicated graphics card. I think the last time I saw a computer with similar specs and Nvidia graphics that costs less than $1200 was on Black Friday.

In case anyone still cares, after fiddling around with the settings, I finally got the eraser to start working in OneNote. I had to go into Pen and Touch Control Panel and tick the box that says "Use the top of the pen to erase ink (where applicable)". I have an eraser again!!! All is right with the world.

ATIVQ likes this.
  4. Chard85

I was looking at the official site; http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga-14/
    That's good to know it's a good laptop, it seems almost too good to be true?

5. dorj

dorj Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone tell me if a 9mm hdd would fit?

6. Juan Carlos Co

Juan Carlos Co Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought one from bestbuy and I plan to change the 1 tb hdd to 512 ssd. Will this laptop be good enough for 4k video editing using Premiere Pro CC?

7. generic

generic Pen Pal - Newbie

Depends. I would generally prefer not to use Laptops for video editing. It's been a while since I have used premiere though, so I don't know too much about current requirements.

The TPY 14 has a new i5/i7 but it's only a low voltage CPU, not sure how much that impacts performance. The 940m will definitely speed up rendering but I would be worried about the 8Gb RAM Premiere can definitely utilise >10 Gb of Ram in some situations. It will run with less but might be slower.

This wouldn't be as much of a problem if it could support 16Gb RAM sticks, but we don't know if that's the case.

Juan Carlos Co likes this.
  8. CraigMakesArt

CraigMakesArt Overly demanding.

I can't say anything about 4K, but at 720p a 3 camera realtime multicam edit is perfectly responsive for me as long as I set the preview window to 1/4 resolution.

9. Chard85

Has anyone compared this to the latest 12" version of the Yoga? As I understand, the 12" still has the traditional Wacom tech, but not sure if that outweighs the benefits of the 14" model.

Techradar was quite critical of the battery being defective in the 14", I assume that's an issue that was resolved?
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...tbooks/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-14-1287649/review

It's also confusing to see reviews state 'poor battery life' and then state that it lasts for up to 8 hours. 8 hours sounds great to me! The Cintiq Companion 2 is apparently getting less than half that.

For those advising to get an SSD, are you recommending one not available through Lenovo?
    I'm thinking this could be a good black friday purchase
    Thanks

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. generic

generic Pen Pal - Newbie

Good news everyone!

I have bought a Thinkpad Yoga 14 with Activepen, i7-5500U and Geforce 940m and can now confirm that Lenovo's 16Gb memory module works.

The RAM module I have used has the product number 4X70J32868
    The TPY14 has the machine type number 20DNS04W00

Interestingly the Lenovo Solution Center displays that the maximum usable capacity of the machine is 8 Gb, but BIOS and Task Manager seem to disaggree.

I haven't done much with it yet, but memtest has been running for 45 minutes and no problems so far.

Seems like a solid machine to me.

Also: Make sure to use a non-metallic tool to pry off the bottom panel or you will scratch it badly. The plastic is ridiculously soft.

16gb.jpg 16gb_2.jpg 16gb_3.jpg BIOS_TPY14.jpg