1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet PC Review Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by , Jun 12, 2007.

1. Guest

Lenovo's ThinkPad X61 has been the talk of the Tablet community since its release and after spending a few days with it, I can see why. The matte black finish and rugged feel of the X61, appealed to me right away. The overall design is solid and its based on the new Intel Santa Rosa platform. It seems that the X61 has taken care of all the flaws its predecessor, the X60, had. Meaning it has better performance, benchmark results and battery life.

Read the full content of this Article: Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet PC Review
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member

Many thanks Tiffany.

I know you liked the pointing stick in the end.
    I just don't know if I could share the same level of enthusiasm; which to be frank I suppose is most probably the only reason from stopping me ordering one.
  3. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin

If you get a chance, I recommend just checking one out. I didn't think I would like it either and at first it was weird, but after I got used to using it, navigating was as easy as with my touchpad. You never know you may end up liking it and ordering the X61.
  4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member

A touchstick would be nice, I liked using it on my friend's T60, but I'm already addicted to the 2-finger motion and customised up/down scroll of my touchpad ^_^

It does sound like a solid tablet PC from your review, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone whose needs match its features. However, little things do count for me. The 2-way screen rotate on the T4200 series was one of those little things that sold me. Probably something most people don't even notice, but I loved being able to rotate the screen any way I like to show people stuff, or to lounge in a more comfortable position without having to readjust my laptop's position.

Now, if only Fujitsu would adopt Lenovo's sturdier hinge mechanism instead of the super-flimsy and fragile one they're using right now...
  5. P8RSON

Tiffany, did you get a chance to review the P1610 (off the top of my head I can't remember).
    If so, how would you compare the pointing stick on this x61 to say the Fujitsu P1610 which amongst my other Tablets I own.

I'm rather confused by this kureshii.
    The hinge on the T series machines is strong on all the models I have and have tried.
    They are still as strong as the day when first purchased over a year ago.
  6. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

Tiffany,

You wrote that this model you reviewed had the 8 cell battery. Was the notebook 3.8 1bs w/ this battery or the 4 cell?

Also, I was curious since you've reviewed both wide and regular screens....which do you prefer/recommend for a tablet. I am mostly thinking of portrait mode. Do you lose a substantial amount in width? I noticed the x61 recieved a con from you for not having a widescreen.

Thanx,
    -Sass
  7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it"

All Lenovo X61 Tablet PCs come with the 8-cell battery standard, thus it should be 3.8 pounds with the 8-cell. The 4-cell battery can be purchased with an additional cost, but for some reason Lenovo has not included it in the X61 Customization Order pages.
  8. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

as far as i know, it's 4.3lb with the 8cell

i want this really really badly :(
  9. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

Man...how i wish for widescreen options.

Why can't designers realise that widescreen moreso simulates an A4 sheet of paper and is less awkward to carry?

I am IMPRESSED with the battery life. Yes indeed.

I'd better buy that 2GB of RAM pronto. That PC MArk 05 score is creeping up to my tablet pc performance. O_O
  10. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

I got a question about the touchscreen/wacom. Usually, touchscreens have these two layers and you actually got to depress the first layer so that it touches the one below for the screen to register it, and this first layer is also not helping with visibility. While as wacom screens you write on a hard solid surface. What is this passive/active screen like? Is it like an active screen that takes touch input or is it like a passive screen that takes hover?
    Also, is the touchscreen functionnality interfering with the pen, say you are resting your hand on the screen and hovering the pen above, will it go crazy?
  11. kureshii

*Slaps forehead* I should check my posts more thoroughly next time... I meant the plastic clip mechanism that holds the tablet in the closed position. The one on the T-4200 series broke before I got the clip replaced together with the cracked screen.

What's stopping them from, say using aluminium instead? Many laptops use metal clip mechanisms which look much better and are sturdier as well. I don't think a small piece of metal will add more than 30USD to a laptop's price will it?
  12. P8RSON

Ahhhh.... and ahh!
    I was not aware Fujitsu didn't use a metal clip.
    The Fujitsu Siemens models do.
  13. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin

I am happy that everyone likes the X61 and I enjoyed reviewing it. As to all the questions, here is my response.

First P8RSON I have not had a chance to review the P1610, but I will be reviewing the T4220 in a couple of weeks.

As for the widescreen issue, I like both. I have a widescreen R1 and I do prefer this over non-widescreen tablets, but the X61 wasn't bad. I do think the widescreens are easier to carry in tablet mode and usually do have better viewing angles.

The tablet weighs about 3.8 pounds and it does have the 8-cell battery. There isn't much to it to make it heavy, I mean there is no optical drive and it only has a 12.1" screen.

As for the touchscreen and Wacom, it is super nice. They both work independently of each other. The touchscreen doesn't interfere with the Wacom at all. There is no crazy movements on the screen while writing and if you like using your finger you can. So it is like an active screen with touch input. :)
  14. P8RSON

Thanks Tiffany..
    Sorry, I thought you had played with the P1610 at some stage.
    It would have been an excellent comparison on the pointing sticks between the two. :)
  15. Dolvich

Dolvich Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm seconding the opinion that you should just bite the bullet and try the X61. The pointerstick was a big turn off for me at first, but I started playing around with it on my Dell laptop which has both pointer and touchpad. At first I basically had to force myself to use it. Now however I use it automatically and often find myself using it more than the touchpad. If you have other reasons for not wanting the X61 thats fine too but I wouldn't let the pointerstick be the sole reason holding you back.
  16. mbagga

mbagga Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Tiffany,

Thanks for the great review. I had a couple of questions, and would greatly appreciate any input.

1. How is the heat and noise of the X61 compared to your r1f? I have an r1f, and it stays wonderfully cool, and I never hear the fan.

2. I have read other reviews that the sxga+ screen gets very greasy and grimy and is a fingerprint magnet. Is this the case with the multi-touch?

3. And lastly, how would you compare the real world performance to your r1f? Does it feel sluggish or does it keep up the pace pretty well?

Thanks for any help, and keep up the good work!

--Mandeep
  17. P8RSON

Thank you for the comments Dolvich.

I've played around with many Tablet PC's including the x60 but I just could not get the hang of using the pointerstick.

Even on my P1610 I loath not being able to use the full benefit of a TrackPad.
    There is the problem I have in the PointerStick flying off around the screen.

Plus I always configure my TrackPads to work at maximum, configuring them to do several other tasks like go back a web page, go forward a web page, go to the Start Menu, Minimize the current window open, double click, etc. etc....

So you see, it's going to take quite a bit to convince me the x61 is any better than the others I have tried and I will be able to benefit from it's use in the same quantity as that which I achieve from a TrackPad.
  18. schuma79

schuma79 Pen Pal - Newbie

I grew up on my dad's IBMs. I didn't get introduced into the trackpad until much later in my laptop life. For this, I hate it. Its hinderences far outway any benefits. First, you must take your hand off the keyboard to scroll. When I'm using a pointerstick, I can type and move my mouse without changing positions. And, for all those customized functions that you have on your trackpad- there are many, many more custimizalbe functions of a keyboard. If you learn to hit the right keys, you can do much more than you ever could with a trackpad. Further, I hate annoyingly hitting the trackpad and having it do some stupid operation. And, if your laptop is on a desk, your wrists often rest on it.

Worst of all though, and this is the greatest attestment to the pointerstick, is that it has greater precision. Most trackpad's just kinda move the mouse hap-hazardly. Mean, they work, but the comparison is the same to a CD and a record. While a CD works, and has great advantages, a record is the pure music (a good record that is).
  19. P8RSON

Well I have no problems in typing and using the trackpad at the same time.
    My fingers use the keys whilst my thumbs use the trackpad.

As to using the keyboard to do the customized functions a trackpad can do, yes I do agree but that takes a couple of key presses and a brief memory pause..... the trackpad is just a single tap in a certain place.

Reference the precision; a quick question to you ~ if playing a game that requires an immediate, rapid and accurate movement over the screen, many, many times over a few seconds, couuld you achieve this with a stick?
    Using my P1610's stick I simply could not hope to achieve this, whereas with the trackpad on my other machines I can guarantee placing the cursor in the right place at the right time every time.

Basically it's all a question of personal preference.... you like the stick, I like the trackpad.:)
  20. kureshii

I agree on this one. But I've learned to switch hand positions so fast I hardly notice =)
    Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for middle-click, or maximise/minimise, unless you configure it using some utility >.> And I have enough background programs running as it is.
    You mean single tap? It can be disabled - my TP only accepts mouse clicks from the buttons.
    Strange, I never had any problems with pointer precision using a TP before. It might jump one or two pixels at higher cursor speeds, but I find that a fair tradeoff for speed.

I do like the pointer stick, having tried it on various friends' Lenovos. Perhaps if they found a way to middle-click with it...