Lenovo ThinkPad X380 Yoga discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@ibmthink that document doesn't specify whether display is glossy or matte, sadly.

@JoeS I personally wouldn't call X380Y budget, given that there is $400 cheaper L380Y... hell, even L380Y with it's $1000-something starting price is not exactly what I call budget.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well yeah, I obviously mean relatively. What the X1 Yoga gives you for $430 extra is not that much imo, unless I'm overlooking something.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

@JoeS exactly. For me personally, base X1Y3 is a big no compared to X380Y and L380Y, I simply won't buy it - because 8GB RAM is a joke to me. With the cheaper machines, I can just upgrade to 16GB or 32GB respectively, whenever I want. And the SSDs... I don't even want 512GB or 1TB NVME drive - I'd rather have 2TB SATA instead. OK, maybe there'll be a configuration with HDR+, 16GB RAM yet i5 CPU and cheap 256GB SATA drive - but that's not how things usually go. X1Y2 configurations with OLED display & 16GB RAM all came with i7 CPUs & NVME drives, for example.

JoeS likes this.
  4. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

The X1 Yoga has a full-size keyboard. If I was buying a convertible, that would be very important for me personally.

According to another datasheet I have, the X380 Yoga has always soldered RAM, unlike its predecessor. So you can't upgrade it yourself, either.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. ibmthink

6. Starlight5

16GB RAM available only with i7. )'=

7. ibmthink

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I finally get why it's called the 380. The fully decked out model is $380 cheaper than the maxed out X1 Yoga. :D

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. Starlight5

I personally am disappointed. It's not that it isn't an upgrade over 370 - it definitely is, even though the RAM is soldered now - it should be dual channel and thus provide noticeable GPU performance improvement. But no wonderful features of 260 were reintroduced - namely, matte screen option, and volume rocker on the side.

I'm personally not facsinated with Intel as the only modem option either - Intel track record is very poor in this regard, they simply abandoned users of their older modems and didn't provide upgrades to buggy firmware. Not keeping the wonderful and stable Qualcomm-based EM7455, at least as an option, is really beyond me.

Doesn't necessarily mean that I won't buy one - but I'll definitely take my sweet time to consider other alternatives.

10. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm... I read the hardware maintainance manual for L380Y. It seems L380Y is more interesting than this if you are thinking about upgrade.

L380Y has 2 RAM slot as opposed to soldered on this one. I'd like to see the compromises compared to this one like the screen or something else

Starlight5 likes this.