Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by dstrauss, Jan 6, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Huh, I never heard that as a danger. The hinge looks meticulously engineered to have a perfectly constant radius of curvature, no sharp sections or deviations possible. I'd be more concerned with (presumably?) printed contacts delaminating and that kind of thing. I'm definitely hoping there's a V2 of this, but if it's going to be underpowered, I hope it'll at least be surprisingly light and sleek.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, despite how much work Samsung did on the hinge in the first version of the galaxy fold and all the automated testing as well, they didn't pay as much attention to the inconsistent way that us pesky users would hold and open them, not just from individual to individual but each one from each time they opened it.

That was identified as one of the primary root causes of failure with the first fold.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, if nothing else Lenovo proved that you can have pen support on a foldable screen. Despite Samsung´s claim that it wasn´t possible.

4. desertlap

It's not pen per se, but EMR based pen that's the issue (hard to discern/manage two EMR lattices as the same time)

We hear that they have solved it, though too late for the fold 2, but in time for a fold 3

AND: It will be interesting to see how Lenovo has solved the precision issue with ntrig and an expanding /shrinking canvas. Which was why allegedly MS went with dual screens on the duo instead of a folding one.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    dellaster and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If that comes to pass the Fold3 might be the unicorn for certain people on this forum. I’m sure I’ll be tempted as well even though I’m trying to resist my gadget lust these days.

6. desertlap

So our X1 Fold saga continues...
    Finally got our device this morning in a clearly abused box...
    Opened it up. Outside case looked ok, but opened up, small hair line fracture and it won't power on.

Sigh....

One brief observation. It feels heavier and denser than it looks.

Kumabjorn and JoeS like this.