Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by dstrauss, Jan 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The following video review confirms base model at 8gb RAM and 256gb SSD, going up to 1tb (no mention of 16gb RAM). Also, confirms 4g and 5g models will be available.

And from AnandTech:

"Inside the unit beats the heart of a properly built laptop. We’ve got one of the first new outings for Intel’s Lakefield processor, featuring 1 big Sunny Cove core and 4 smaller Tremont Atom cores, combined with Intel’s Gen11 HD Graphics (the ones that come with Ice Lake, although it doesn’t mention frequencies or EUs). Memory is a full 8 GB of LPDDR4X-2133 with storage provided by a standard M.2 2242 NVMe drive, although Lenovo will offer variants up to 1 TB. There’s an inbuilt 5 MP camera, and the battery is a proper 50 Wh, good for 11+ hours according to Lenovo....

The exact specifications on the display is a 13.3-inch flexible OLED with a 2048x1536 resolution, with brightness up to 300 nits and color gamut support up to 95% of DCI-P3. Touch is also implemented.

For IO, the device has two USB Type-C ports (one USB 3.1, one USB 3.2), and a Displayport over Type-C port for external displays. There is also a SIM slot in order to use the onboard modem. Lenovo lists the modem as 4G/5G, although doesn’t state which modem this is – it’s likely to be Qualcomm’s X55 at this point. The device also supports 802.11ax and BT5.0.

The price according to Lenovo is $2499 for the 1 TB model. All units will come with an Active Pen and an external keyboard in the box, and altogether the unit weighs 999g / 2.2 lbs (cover included). The keyboard can be off the notebook, or placed on one half of the screen..."

I think that last part about coming with 1TB drive is wrong, but it was the third confirmation I found that it includes the keyboard and pen in the box.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy...this thing has portrait support for the cover/stand @1:20:

[​IMG]

I do believe that is first (for a 1st-party case), and elegantly done with a single flap.

Well done, Lenovo. Something I've asked for since the original Surface debuted the kickstand. Now MS, get on it! :D

wytn and burningorange like this.
  3. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

In this pic, and some of the videos, when they open the flap, you can see a long removable cover. I wonder if that means a replaceable M2 2280 NVMe SSD!

4. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

and Lenovo showed how they designed and tested the X1 Fold. They even drop a metal ball on the display. That should address some concerns on the screen durability...

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"...with brightness up to 300 nits". Well of course, how else would we know it's a Lenovo.. :rolleyes:

Android Authority: "It also has an aspect ratio of 4:3 which is really nice because you can do document on the left side, document on the right side". Umm.. nope, that's actually one of the few things that works better on a 16:9 display! No biggie.

Since the stand's 'hinge' is at an angle relative to the side though, I'm guessing the portrait mode will not be very stable. It will rest on the edge of the screen, and one point of the kickstand. They could have solved this if they made the 'stand hinge' parallel to the short edge, so I'm thinking they didn't intend this to be used unfolded in portrait mode. NVM, geometry fail.. :oops:

upload_2020-1-8_8-19-8.png

A minor thing I spotted in the video, there's a USB-C port both on the short and the long sides of the device, so it looks like you can somewhat conveniently charge it in both portrait and landscape orientation.

upload_2020-1-8_7-52-25.png

wytn and Marty like this.
  6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So are these Foldable "encyclopedia" all we're getting from CES this year? What? Did none of these makers see the surface Neo?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

7. dstrauss

I guess "foldable" has been the holy grail for quite some time, and I have to say the X1 Fold is doing a pretty good job of hiding the crease when open (very hard to see head on, but noticeable at an angle). Still, I believe the Neo approach will be much more sturdy and usable for the foreseeable future. Glass has plastic beat hands down for durability and scratch resistance. If only there were some way to have an interlocking raw edge in the middle rather than bezels and metal...

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Things are a little trickier to visualize in 3D...If you imagine instead of 2 parallel lines touching the table, you instead have one line at an angle. Both lines fully contact the resting surface, just one corner of the top end of the tablet will drop down.

So actually I believe the portrait orientation will be just as or even more stable than landscape. ;)

EDIT: Sorry for the mind twister in the morning. :p

One way to see this, is to grab a sheet of paper and fold it at a slight angle. You can actually get it to stand up!

JoeS likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Geometry, my nemesis (integral calculus was easier)...that will really make

Actually, I prefer to see more of the page, even if a little narrower. In 16:9, even with the ribbon closed, it leaves only a few lines for comparison from left to right.

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

d'Oh! You're right!!

This wouldn't work if the (extrapolated) edge of the case and the (extrapolated) edge of the stand didn't intersect somewhere, but given that they both share the same hinge, they always do. I'm afraid that I had to try this with two sheets of paper. (grabs coffee mug)