Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by dstrauss, Jan 6, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Is it though? I get the impression that this is close to final, given the mid-2020 release date.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I sure hope it's not. The device looks ugly as hell.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Some more quality hands-on with this new form factor, via PCWorld (action starts at @2:43, but the first device is pretty neat itself, an e-ink lid laptop):

Finally, we get our first good look at the origami-style cover/stand @4:13:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very reminiscent of the old Thinkpad 10 "Quickshot Cover". This thing is shaping up to be quite an intriguing little device.

dstrauss, JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Really looking forward to trying out one of these. The most interesting thing to come from CES. That and the bright red/orange Chromebook form Samsung

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Very interesting that the X1 Fold is running Windows 10 Pro - would sure like to know processor and configuration information for that $2500 entry price level...

Well, that was quick - more details (not all) at Engadget - but it does have a Lakefield processor (not a big surprise I guess).

UPDATE 1 - you have got to be kidding - the BT keyboard uses micro-USB for charging...:rolleyes:

UPDATE 2 - (slow watching the video) - $2500 is sans keyboard and pen; weighs 2.2lb even at that; and 11.5mm thick when open - she clearly feels it is aimed at the C Suite (as one would expect).

11.5mm - I think @nnthemperor is correct, it's as thick as Neo closed...:eek: Maybe it won't be as hard to get used to the Neo hinge dividing the screen as I thought...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    nnthemperor, Marty and JoeS like this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

When I watched a different video, they said it charges wirelessly while attached to the screen magnetically, but that a charge was intended to last a week. Charging separately would be a shame. Charging wirelessly while attached to the screen would be very cool and functional. It would be nice to know the difference.

Re: the cover- there's definitely a missed opportunity there. a) have it be removable, and b) have the folds provide different angles on alternate sides, so you would just flip the screen this way or that depending on what angle you wanted. Also, it can be used in portrait supposedly, with the stand, which is cool.

I know they're releasing it, so it's not just a concept. But as its gen1, it really does feel a bit like a concept.

edit- Yes, I just read the article Dale linked to, and the keyboard does charge wirelessly when docked magneticall to the screen. So that's nice. Also looks like the keyboard features a (nearly?) full sized set of primary keys. Note that they look pretty normal sized, and that its some of the secondary keys on the edges that have been shrunk, moved, or doubled up. I've used small Lenovo keyboards before, and they're the best to type on. Wish it had a trackpoint keyboard option to buy as well! ;)

nnthemperor, desertlap, Marty and 2 others like this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is very similar to the Z Canvas keyboard where it can charge wirelessly (via contacts) when magnetically attached to the tablet, and additionally charge via microUSB, when detached.

I've used both methods during my travels, and it's actually quite convenient. Good design imo.

You know, I'm going to bet it is removable just going by the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No part of the cover seems fused with the tablet portion. And by the hint of orange peeking out at the hinge area, I'm guessing that the colored back extends the whole way, ie. it is manufactured as a separate piece—and attaches so as well.

3rd-party cover options with more angles (a là FlipSteady, shoutouts to @Routb3d ;)) would be da bomb!

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In possibly related news (as suggested a long time ago by @ibmthink), it seems like the 2018 X1 Tablet 3rd gen is no longer for sale.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder if by engineering the keyboard that way it also provides a bit of protection for the display when being carried or in a bag?

If so, clever solution!

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That was atleast discussed in some of the videos I saw- the protective element the keyboard provided when the tablet was shut.