Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by dstrauss, Jan 6, 2020.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So what does the tribe think - I for one am interested and it will likely get a jump on the Neo (maybe why MS revealed it so early?):

[​IMG]

The Verge

PS - sorry for missing some earlier threads, but thought this is the time, with the official name, to start the clock...my guess it is using the same silicon as the Neo and may be a Windows 10 X device as well. Couldn't tell from Gordon Ung's preview last year at PC World, but looks likely.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm still tentatively in the "too many moving parts" camp. I own zero tablets that don't have a keyboard case or keyboard cover. Typing with the Fold's screen open requires the keyboard to be 'detached'. It feels like that would be a somewhat fussy experience. I'll reserve final judgement until I can try it out though!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  3. dstrauss

I'm of two minds - I love this concept, but I think Surface Neo will have it beat hands down on durability and form factor. Hopefully MS won't cripple the Neo with 4gb RAM and 64gb SSD...:rolleyes:

One more good thing - looks like it is running real Word in the demo picture at The Verge...

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

I love the idea of having a huge screen for reading, inking, bingeing, but.. For media consumption I'd probably want a stand. Edit: it has one! Basically not lapable in landscape mode, but seemingly great for desk/countertop use.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  5. dstrauss

If only Neo could lessen/eliminate the big bezels BETWEEN the two screens...

Think Samsung's newest TV side by side...

[​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a single big screen--it's clearly incomparably better for art than the Neo for that reason alone.

I suspect we also just saw the future of the iPad Pro.

7. JoeS

They're already halfway there! :p

[​IMG]

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

My understanding from videos is that the keyboard is bluetooth, so it should work whether you use it "on" the screen in laptop mode or not. The screen is partly so thick because it has a folding stand-like "origami-ish" mechanism attached to itself, so you should be able to remove the keyboard, use it on a table, and prop up the screen in either portrait or landscape orientations. The device is a bit thick, honestly, but it's not because of the keyboard-- it actually rests in the open area where the screen folds down and leaves a cavity, leaving the sides more parallel and less "pinched."

It seems interesting. I like how they've integrated a stand (of sorts) into the device itself, as well as the keyboard. I also like that you can use it with a pen-- although I wish you could have one is a silo, since its so thick. They need to integrate speakers into the screen too...

I've also wondered about screen protectors on folding devices. I'd thick a nice matte texture would be very nice on a device like this, for drawing. It's basically the size of an ipad pro 12.9, but running windows. That's, at the very least, intriguing

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  9. JoeS

I had missed that they have the "photo frame stand" in the back as well. I wonder if there is any angle adjustment at all with the built-in stand. Seems like it could be possible, but I still haven't seen that kickstand it demonstrated. With that stand and the fact that the keyboard is bluetooth, this might even work on a plane. Place the screen with its kickstand on the tray table, use the keyboard in your lap. That's going to look so cool nerdy! :D

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dale beat me to this. Was rushing here to come and announce that the Neo-like devices party is on, but who better to start the party rolling than the Grandmaster himself

Anyway, I know it's any a concept, but what's with that bulkiness? One part of it open is as thick as the Neo folded. That's a non-starter. And what again is with the Japanese word "Ori"(guess it's from origami 折紙)?
    However, if they could reduce those bezels, I think I like this idea over the dual screen of the Neo.

Speaking of which, does it mean MS cannot slap a single foldable screen on the Neo and the Duo like this Ori? At this point there only reason I'm still considering the Neo, is the premium finish compared to the unpolished looks of the Ori.
    Here's hoping Dell steals the aesthetics of the Neo and combines it with the Ori form factor. If and when they do, it's the Dell for me.

What about the other one, the Concept Duet?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk