Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by AnnAAyms, Dec 1, 2015.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

I was told so at least. I guess an owner needs to confirm it.

2. ronstew

ronstew Pen Pal - Newbie

It came yesterday, along with a larger pen in a separate shipment. So far so good. The dock is supposed to get here on Friday. I am weirded out by having a silent computer. Pen works nicely and I can totally tell the difference between 1024 and 2048 pressure levels. (Marketing....sigh).

I was amazed at how little stuff was in the box. A computer (with a pen in a slot). A charger. A cord for the charger. A piece of paper telling me how to plug in and turn on the computer. And a mysterious tiny baggie with a metal ring with a slice out of it and three teeny-tiny plastic pins. Apparently the pins are spare nibs, and the metal piece is a removal device? The nibs look identical, and are not labeled.

Nick Faunus likes this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You got it. The metal ring is a nib extractor.

4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Darn none of those tips are felt tipped? I had the impression from a few press releases from lenovo that there would be felt style tips included for a more paper like feel, i.e. more friction.

The current AES pens on glass are so slick...

5. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I wonder what the differences in screen quality between the 460, the P40 and the x1 yoga really are. @Black Thorne mentions in his review that the FHD screens would be identical between the P40 and the X1, but the stated results in color gamut and brightness aren't overwhelming... whereas Lisa's MobileTechReview of the X1 yoga mentions over 300 nits of brightness and 92% of sRGB.

6. Sunco50

Sunco50 Pen Pal - Newbie

Got mine a couple days ago. Super pleased with it. Light, quiet, powerful, quick, beautiful. A word of warning though; the fans and cooling systems aren't super effective. I was playing Kerbal Space on it, and it got hot enough to create bubbling on the fake wood coating of the desk underneath it. If you're going to be doing anything intense with it, either put it in tent mode or on some sort of cooling laptop desk.

7. Nick Faunus

Nick Faunus Pen Pal - Newbie

Great stuff! So .... how is the pen? Have you tried Photoshop and Flash with it? How is pen latency in PS and Flash? And do you get the jaggies with slowly drawn diagonal lines? And speaking of pressure levels (sigh) does the driver work with ALL software?

Which screen did you get? I'm looking at the higher res unit for more colours but any input from you is much appreciated.

This machine will be used for eight hour days of fine art drawing and Flash and PS video work - so speed and accuracy are critical - along with colour calibration. I'm assuming there is a Calibration utility?

Hoping to hear from you!

8. Nick Faunus

Nick Faunus Pen Pal - Newbie

Ooops! So how about video rendering?

9. Sunco50

Sunco50 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't do video editing, so I can't say how it handles that. It ran Civ V on medium-high settings beautifully though without any hiccups. I'm going to be starting college next year in engineering, so I got this so I will be able to do CAD stuff on it.

Nick Faunus likes this.
  10. ironchimp

ironchimp Pen Pal - Newbie

This is true. I work as a vfx artist and all of the cards in the studio where I work use Titian Blacks. My Clevo with it's 980m wipes the floor of said Titans, haha.