Lenovo ThinkPad 8 - reviews

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by PECgem, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

Like others have reported on the Lenovo forums, my speakers are now crackling and having issues with videos and music. Also noticed i have a brighter pixel section. Tablet is going in for warranty repair to replace the screen and speaker. Sad for sure and just wanted to give others a heads up. They told me a week turn around.

2. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the BIOS locked down? Can I do a clean install of Windows 8.1 on the ThinkPad 8?

3. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

So the speaker has to be repaired? I thought it was just a driver issue?

2d

4. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

The tech. on the phone stated it was a known wiring issue. I didn't ask much details beyond that. My tablet was running solid for 2 weeks before that with music, games, youtube, etc.

I'll for sure post an update when i have it back as well as any further issues with it. Latest i should have it back is Thursday if their week turn around is correct.

5. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

So my Thinkpad 8 is under repair as of today, my repair was on hold due to the screen issue not being covered by warranty. 2 technicians determined it was a seperation in the LCD layers that was causing it. It went into a repair hold after that with an agent calling me to tell me the LCD was not covered under the limited warranty. I explained i had the tablet for about 2 weeks and it was in perfect condition. The agent was very understanding but couldn't overule it and it had to be escalated to customer service and an exception to be made to make the repair under warranty for the LCD screen.

The funny part is an LCD warranty repair would have ran $750 USD, almost the price of two tablets!

I was told 3 business days max for the repair of the screen and speaker with it being overnighted once complete.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  6. Morevin

Morevin Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanted to buy this tablet. I'm not in the US, so the only way I could buy this is thru online and delivered to my country. But guess what, lenovo US website show 4-5 weeks delivery time, so its a no!. Check amazon/newegg not available. 4 months already since product launch, they still have production issue?

Then I said forget it, I go with Dell Venue Pro instead. Got it, use it, been happy so far. Lenovo lose a customer or maybe thousand others who feel the same way as I do. Their loss! Somebody at lenovo need to get fired.

7. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

Received my tablet back today. The screen issue was fixed, no more "beaming pixels" and the light leaking is a lot better on this LCD panel. The bonus is my panel is like the review models and has the ThinkPad logo in the top right when held in portrait mode.

However, the speaker issue is not resolved. Ticket said the left and right speakers were replaced by my sound issue persists. It didn't immediately upon start up but started within 10 minutes of use. I tried another factory reset and did not solve the issue.

Here is my sound problem in depth.

- Speakers sometimes crackle when watching youtube, playing music, etc.
    - Volume is considerably lower, volume at 100 is no where near that loud
    - At low volume, crackling is really apparent.

When the representative called me to have my screen replaced he stated they were replacing 3-4 components related to sound. My ticket only states the left and right speaker.

I called support right away and will have a box tomorrow to be sent out again. Rather frustrating owning a product for under 3 weeks for it to be gone almost the same amount of time for warranty repair.

Things i have done at this point to resolve the issue.
    - Unistalled the driver and just let Windows handle the driver, no change.
    - Re-installed the driver, no change.
    - Factory reset, no change.
    - Updated all Windows and Lenovo updates (program, bios, etc.), no change.

Really looking to me to be a hardware issue and hoping this time it will actually be resolved before it it sent back.

8. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey bro, both my Lenovo Thinkpad 8s from Microsoft have the same issue at lower volume (Below 30) when typing and when a system sound exclamation happens. My other sounds for youtube etc have no problems whatsoever because I did a temporary remedy. If you right click the sound icon - and go to recording devices. Double click the microphone - go to LEVELS - and set the microphone and dB boost to 0. That helped me. Now, I don't know if this mutes the microphone in doing this. I haven't tested or used skype. However, with this, I can play the volume high really loud at 100 - anything above 50 is actually quite loud. I even tested the speakers by going to playback devices and CONFIGURE - this lets you test the left and right speaker. Before the microphone levels were set to 0 - I heard really bad scratchiness and distortion while testing the left and right speakers. However, once the microphone volume in LEVELS were set to 0 -distortion all gone - clear crisp sound. However, the stupid fm radio issue still is present at low volumes when typing - but it's far less after the microphone LEVELS were put to 0. However, when I use the keyboard to randomly type in an application like My Computer (this is where a system PING is heard telling you you can't type here- the STUPID FM sound is very apparent still). Test it out and see if you still have your tablet. Let me know if Lenovo remedies it if you already sent it. Thanks! Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  9. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

Appreciate the heads up! I got my box today and sent it back out. The one thing i can say is they are prompt on their service.

I did not have the problem at all when i first had it. The one thing i did notice with the factory resets is it doesn't reset the bios (which makes sense) so maybe the problem is related to that.

If they can't figure it out or just replace my speakers, i'll try this when i get it back. Thanks again!

10. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

Whoa! I think you're right! It might be the BIOS. I didn't notice this sound issue before updating the BIOS. BIOS was the last thing I updated before noticing the FM sound issue. Any pointers on where the previous BIOS would be?

My pleasure, glad to be of any help!

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT! The microphone had no effect at all apparently. I just restarted the thinkpad 8, played a video from socshare.com for a tv show, and the fm nuisance is NONSTOP there throughout the whole audio! I'm so annoyed. I have to send both of these in for warranty. Ugh... Thank God I didn't send back my second Dell Venue 8 Pro (which was supposed to be a temporary replacement until these tablets arrived). Looks like I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow :(. Lenovo should be sued. What a joke. Also, mine has some major light bleed. I didn't notice it until tonight when I turned out the lights in my room. Looks like my issues are 100% consistent with yours, bro.

Since I purchased from MICROSOFT STORE, do I have to call them? I purchased these on April 10, 2014. Or can I call Lenovo? Should be warrantied under Lenovo right. Sending back to Microsoft would be pointless considering they would just send another dud (since they probably bought a bunch of duds in bulk).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.