Lenovo ThinkPad 8 - reviews

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by PECgem, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TacoJ

TacoJ Pen Pal - Newbie

I've already put in my return request on this tablet, I'll be shipping it back to Lenovo sometime this week.

After a couple more days of use, I can say that mine had fairly poor battery life (~5 hours average), an unresponsive Windows button, and worst of all the crackling speakers that more and more people are starting to report.

I also have to amend my original report of the speaker issue, earlier I said it only happened when you typed using the on screen keyboard. But I later noticed that basically anytime you have the speakers set to around a mid-20 or lower volume level, it would crackle and pop during music/video playback as well.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous, and the casing of the tablet itself feels premium, but then it is all cheapened by the distorted speakers and relatively poor battery life.

I've decided to stick to my old trusty Dell Venue 8 Pro for now, at about half the price of the Lenovo I think it's a better overall value. The Dell is far form perfect as it has its own set of unique issues and failed promises. However, I feel a little better about dealing with minor issues on a $200 tablet than I do with crackling speakers and a moody Windows button on a "premium" $400 Thinkpad.

2. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Speaking of sub-par battery life, does anyone know how to get windows to display the estimated time remaining on the battery charge? I only see the percentage of the battery.

Regarding the battery issue, wouldn't it be easier to just RMA it since it's got the typical thinkpad warranty?

2d

3. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

RMA might not do much if this is the normal way the tablet is.

Also, is it me or are there more services running than the other windows 8 tablets? I don't have another to compare to.

4. Emily Vela

Emily Vela Pen Pal - Newbie

is the USB port in this powered ? meaning can I just use a 2.0 or 3.0 USB otg cable slap on a regular external portable HDD 2.5" and have it run up ?

5. Emily Vela

Emily Vela Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't if I should sell my Dell Venue 8 Pro to support buying this or not

1080p screen, can power portable HDDs, hdmi out, but subpar battery life... and no stylus option at all

maybe thinkpad 8 -2 or thinkpad tablet 3

6. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

It does support usb powering an external hdd.

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One week that I have OTG Adaptor USB 3.0 from amazon and it works perfect with my 2 external HDD one my WD USB 2.0 and the second one Seagate USB 3.0 without any kind of issue plus no need extra power.
    Also working excellent with my USB flash Kingston USB 3.0 that I have.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/aLLreli®-Mi...=UTF8&qid=1395745972&sr=8-1&keywords=otg+usb+

As for the second I think you should wait for thinkpad 8 second edition or thinkpad 3 but with 10' not 8' screen.

8. PECgem

PECgem Scribbler - Standard Member

9. PECgem

10. PECgem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.