Lenovo ThinkPad 8 - reviews

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by PECgem, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebeljuice

Rebeljuice Pen Pal - Newbie

Dream Tablet:
    10"/11" 1080p IPS
    8-10 hours battery life
    Bay/Cherry Trail
    Win 8.x 64 bit
    4gb Ram
    128 gb SSD
    2x mUSB3 Powered
    mHDMI
    mSD
    Wacom (Pen in silo)
    Surface style type cover
    kickstand

And have that version tablet in an 8" and a 12" and you would have the perfect line of tablets! I don't understand how hard that can be and why OEMs seem to get it wrong all of the time. Lenovo have the template already with the TPT2. It just needs a refresh really. And the TP8 should really just have been a smaller version of the same template. But no, they opted for the route of least continuity.

What are the chances that the TPT3 will be a larger TP8 (sans pen support) rather than a refreshed TPT2? I would say they are pretty high.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. PECgem

PECgem Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Frank80

Frank80 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought it.. will post my experience with this device..

4. PECgem

PECgem Scribbler - Standard Member

5. berglake

berglake Pen Pal - Newbie

I cant find the power manager..i want to set charge limit to 80%

6. TacoJ

TacoJ Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I received my Thinkpad 8 today. Before anything else I fully updated the unit using both Lenovo's update tool and Windows Update. Although there was an audio driver included in the Lenovo updates, I still have a minor issue with my speakers that I've written about below in my initial impressions.

My initial impressions are good. I think that the reviews saying that the desktop mode is useless because of the higher resolution, have been blowing things a little out of proportion. The desktop mode is no more or less useful than it is on a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Yes desktop mode isn't the most touch friendly but it's still very usable in it's current form. The Thinkpad 8's touch screen has been very responsive and very accurate so far.

In terms of performance it feels just about the same as any other Baytrail Atom tablet I've had, it's zips quickly between surfing the web and using metro apps, as well as light weight x86 windows programs.

Can't really speak on battery life yet as I haven't even let it get to full charge today. Mine came with about 50% charge out of the box, but curiously it wouldn't power on initially until I actually plugged it into the wall socket. I had a similar experience with the Lenovo Miix 2, maybe it's just Lenovo's way of making sure the user plugs the tablet in for it's first charge.

Software wise, I have an annoying bug out of the box. I keep getting a little windows error box saying "PluginCommunication has stopped working". This has been happening since I initially booted it up and before I installed any non-included apps or programs. The error box seems to pop up at random whenever I revisit the desktop. I'm going to try a factory reset later to see if it goes away and it was just a fluke, or if my unit was shipped with some sort of defective program/driver installed.

The Windows button on my tablet screen is not very responsive, it can sometimes take 3 or more taps for it to register that I've touched it. I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software issue, but I've noticed that if you attempt to tap it rapidly it will just refuse to work after a few taps. My guess is there's some sort of software lockout to prevent repeated mistaken touches, but sometimes it interferes with my deliberate touches of the Windows button. It's rather annoying because it's a moody button, I'm not sure if it's actually gonna work when I want it to work.

The speakers on my Thinkpad 8, make a crackling/popping noise when typing using the on screen keyboard. Rather than making the clean knocking sound that I've grown accustomed to from using a Surface or any of the other Windows tablets I've had. However, when I play music there doesn't seem to be any obvious of crackling or popping distortion that I can hear. Speaker wise it seems about average for a tablet, it's not as good as the Surface Pro 2's speakers but about the same as the Dell Venue 8's. Speaker quality is not a big deal to me since I use headphones mainly, but the crackling/popping noise when typing is getting on my nerves I may request an exchange on this unit.

The best thing about this device so far is the screen for sure. It's a gorgeous screen to look at, and the increased resolution really does making web surfing and viewing PDFs more enjoyable over the current crop of 720p 8 inch devices out there.

Given my speaker issue, I may request a return or exchange in the near future. Part of me wants to ignore it and play with my new "toy" for the next couple of weeks, but the other part of me thinks it would be prudent to test Lenovo's customer service before it's too late for me to even get an exchange. Especially after how poorly the ordering process has been handled.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

You can get rid of the plugincommunication error by uninstalling lenovo's dependency package. I don't believe the package is needed by anything other than lenovo's metro apps.

The speaker issue is probably a hardware defect. Someone on lenovo's community forums mentioned the same issue, which was resolved by sending the tablet in to have the speakers replaced.

8. TacoJ

TacoJ Pen Pal - Newbie

That's disappointing to hear, I much rather receive a direct exchange rather than having to send it into a repair depot. After waiting so long to receive this unit after ordering, I'd really hate to have to send it away for a week+ for it to be repaired. I may just request a return and sit this one out for a little while then order one when it's available on Amazon or something.

Thanks for the tip on the Lenovo dependency package, I'll try uninstalling it later and see if that clears up the error pop up issue.

9. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

I have had mine since yesterday and have a had a couple hours to play with it.

I do love how gorgeous the screen looks but i noticed when using Chrome that the text appears somewhat "fuzzy" and it doesn't on the DV8P. I had very little issue with the resolution or the size of icons, i feel many take it a little out of proportion. I did struggle a little with applications that don't scale. Like the DV8P, you might have to turn scaling off for certain games to work.

Weight is good. Build quality is excellent. It has a real premium feel to it with no creaks or squeaks. I do have a small issue with the micro sd reader. It disconnects and reconnects if it is not sitting just right. I did finally get it to stop so might be just super finicky. Other than that everything works great. Quickshot cover is nice and adds just a little weight. Able to use the magnet on the front to keep my stylus on the tablet.

10. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

The fuzziness is just Chrome not dealing with your dpi setting very well i suspect. What stylus are you using?

2d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.