Lenovo Thinkpad 8 Keyboard Case?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by 2disbetter, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Does anyone know of a keyboard case for the thinkpad 8? if there was a metal cover case that also had a BT Keyboard embedded that would be ideal. (A la the ipad metal covers from Zagg and Logitech.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

2d

2. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

I got this one:

King of Tweaks: Mod the keyboard for Miix 2 8

Although a little bit shorter than the tablet it works ok (after modding it), better than on-screen keyboard, but of course not a substitute for a proper Thinkpad keyboard with trackpoint.

3. 2disbetter

That is actualy a pretty good solution. Two questions:

1. Does the 2 connection pieces actually run over onto the screen? It looks like the connectors are not wide enough.

2. Does the clamping pieces damage the tablet at all? Out of curiosity when you close the keyboard, does it put the thinkpad 8 to sleep? (IE: does it have the magnet in it?)

Thanks for sharing!

2d

4. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

1. Yes, the tablet holding "prongs" do obscure a bit of the taskbar in desktop mode, but it's nothing I've been really disturbed by.

2. The clamping/tablet holding pieces are padded on the inside so as long as you have modded it so that it's about 1mm wider it won't damage the tablet. There is a magnet on the inside of the edge in the tablet slot which actually attaches to the tablet, but it's not really necessary. However, there is no magnet to activate any sleep mode switch, although I think it would be very easy to just open the dock and put a small magnet at the right spot inside (quite a lot of space there).

The dock is very inexpensive so easy to try out (make sure you get the right model that is moddable though)...

5. 2disbetter

This is a problem to me, even if it's still functional it will bother me too much. I use the device in desktop mode almost exclusively (when typing, otherwise I try to stay in the modern UI mode as much as possible).

I agree, it's an excellent price point. For me though it's more about the time needed versus the worth of the product.

Thanks for telling me about it again. It's an interesting idea for sure. Although the way the iPad is showered in accessories really has me wishing that iOS handled sockets better.

2d

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

9. 2disbetter

As long as it fits width wise it should be a grand slam. I really like Zagg products so that is a win already. Lets hope it works out.

2d

10. 2disbetter

It really is perfect except for its width. If it was just a little bit wider I would go this route.

2d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.