Lenovo Thinkpad 8 and hibernation?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by 2disbetter, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Does anyone know if the thinkpad 8 could be made to use hibernation? I've looked and sniffed around and it appears as though the hardware specifically does not support it. (I've also noticed you can't change the power plan to something other than balanced, which I don't mind, it's probably so that you can get the best battery life/performance out of it.)

Anyone have any ideas?

2d

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is expected behavior of a Connected Standby enabled machine, it uses the S0ix Power State meaning that it can receive push/pull data while in sleep mode (like a smartphone).

3. 2disbetter

Indeed, I've noticed when it was sleeping, it also started ringing when a skype call came in.

I just wonder what the power drain is for that state? Is it supposed to be around the same draw as for a smartphone in standby?

Is the intention really for us always only put it to sleep? (manually or by closing the cover?)

2d

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Correct, Sleep is the default "Off State", under Microsoft guidelines it should lose between 1 to 5% battery in 8 hours of Connected Standby. Intel has struggled a bit early on with Power Management on the Baytrail ATOM platform, it seems to be getting better. If you see excessive power drain, from an elevated CMD prompt run powercfg.exe /sleepstudy copy the output from the System32 directory and open it in IE looking for the process or device causing the drain.

2disbetter likes this.
  5. 2disbetter

Thanks, I knew there was a report method for that, but couldn't remember it. This should be stickied. hahaha.

2d

6. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

You can also google how to make a hibernate batch file and just have it on your desktop or in your start menu. Yes it is not automatic but when you do want it to hibernate instead of "connected standby" you can just run the batch file and put it into hibernate mode. I have the quick shot cover for the times i feel i will still access it during the day and use hibernate at night, very little battery drain in hibernate mode.

7. 2disbetter

For those also interested you'll need an elevated cmd and type the following:

then you'll need to create a batch file with the following command:

2d

8. twonth

twonth Pen Pal - Newbie

9. 2disbetter

I can't say if that is a viable option or not yet, as I don't have a usb to micro usb adapter for this just yet.

One other thing I wanted to mention was that while connected standby offers immediate use after opening the cover/pushing the on button, hibernate resume in a seriously short amount of time. Less than 5 seconds in my case. It's very impressive.

2d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.