Lenovo ThinkPad 15 vs ThinkPad 460

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by mike_TPR, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new laptop for my office. Since I always loved the ThinkPad design, I decided to look for one. And since touchscreens are on top now, I decided for Yoga series. But I'm confused between the "old" Yoga 15 and the new 460. Also, I have a few questions, these are coloured orange :)

(+) Yoga 15 pros:
    - 15,6" screen
    - possibility to use both 2.5" SSD and M.2 SSD. I'm planning to use Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (data) + Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB (system) combo. Does it makes sense? Is it possible? I've seen on the Yoga documentation that Lenovo doesn't recommend using M.2 as the booting drive.
    - 16GB of RAM
    - design, build quality etc..
    (-) Yoga 15 cons:
    - Not Skylake
    - No UHD screen
    - No DDR4
    - No pen

(+) Yoga 460 pros:
    - Skylake!
    - WQHD (2560 x 1440) screen
    - active pen bay
    (-) Yoga 460 cons:
    - I'm not sure if both M.2 SSD and 2,5" SSD can be used. Can it? Is it possible to use Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (data) + Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB (system) combo?
    - only 14"
    - probably higher price
    - max 8GB RAM. I've heard 16GB works good too, is that true?
    - No DDR4. Really? How comes it's Skylake and still LPDDR3? Isn't it a huge performance step back?

Also... are these m.2 slots with NVMe support on both 15 and 460?

So... it's not an easy decision. Plus I've never seen either of the models in real. Basically what makes 460 better in my point of view is the Skylake platform and the WQHD screen. What about the build quality? Are these two similar in this case or one of them feels like being made from a better materials?

Thanks for help!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

CON for TPY15.6"

NO PEN.

ininjame likes this.
  3. mike_TPR

Ok thanks! Anything else that might help me?

4. olevelo

olevelo Pen Pal - Newbie

It really comes down to whether the pen or the screen size is more important. I really really wanted the pen, and I also really really wanted a bigger screen. I got the 460 at Best Buy a few weeks ago and I love it. But I'm still not sure about the screen size, having come from 17". If I were going to go bigger though with no pen, I'd probably end up switching to an HP with skylake for the price savings. If there were a 15" version of the 460 it would be absolutely perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mike_TPR

Pen is not important at all. Screen size and resolution is all that matters. But lately I've been considering Surface Pro 4 too. Really lovely design and build quality.

6. soh5

If you want something that is all about screen size go with a Dell XPS 15. You can get a 4K display on it, and while the customer service is pretty blah at best with dell, their computers have never been bad for me.

7. mike_TPR

I was already thinking about XPS 15 but for such price it's facing too many issues so far (nvme drivers, screen flickering, body gaps etc). And the quality control sucks at Dell.

8. soh5

Well if you wanted to go with the Yoga 15", you'd be getting a broadwell based CPU, an older dGPU, but other than that, its had solid reviews. It is def more attractive when you factor price into the equation.

9. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

I've owned a Yoga 15 (i7-5500) for about a month and tried a "460" for a week (the 1080p Best Buy version), and they are both solid machines. Build quality is great on both. Besides the lack of pen and size/weight difference, the practical exterior differences are as follows:
    • Only HDMI on the 15 versus mini Display Port + HDMI on the 460 (i.e. you'll need a dock if you want to go over 1080p on an external monitor using the 15)
    • New (460) versus older (15) OneLink port. I see this as a pro on the 15 because OneLink Pro docks are available now and relatively inexpensive refurbished (got mine for $65, works awesome)
    • Numpad on the 15
    I personally think 4K is impractical even at 15" for anything but picture viewing and video watching. You'll get less battery life, less performance and traditional desktop application scaling is problematic at best. The 1080p IPS on both units are great, bright and good color. I've calibrated it and it matches well with my 2560x1440 Dell 27" hooked up via the dock and my Cintiq hooked up over HDMI (I run all 3 screen simultaneously).

Performance-wise (anecdotally), it's hard to tell the difference after doing some rendering benchmarks in Blender (3D modeling application). The GPU's are for all intents and purposes, identical. CPU-wise, I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference in day to day use. I can't tell you the M.2 specs, but I had my 15 open this weekend to upgrade to 16GB (easy to do), and there's definitely an open M.2 port in there. The stock Samsung SSD works well so far, though I have a 480GB Intel (SATA) waiting in the wings that I haven't put in yet.

For me, the pen on the 14 was disappointing compared to older Wacom solutions, so I basically chose a numpad and larger screen and hook up my Cintiq 13 for on the go production drawing. For my usage (light 3D work and illustration), this combo has proven a good choice so far. Note that I also use a smaller 10" pen tablet for certain scenarios (e.g. client meetings).

The 15 is pretty great as a touch system. I use it in bed and on my lap in "presentation mode", and it's fun to use something with such a big screen (split screen apps, etc). Spent a lot of time playing casual games on it (Crossy Road, etc) with family over the holidays. The large screen makes it great for sharing and playing with others while lying flat on a table or in "tent mode". Mine also has a RealSense camera and Windows Hello face login is surprisingly fast and convenient.

Lastly, the fan is over-active on my 15 though it's not loud. It bothered me initially (while in the "looking for flaws" phase of ownership), but when I'm not listening for it, I no longer notice it. I didn't own the 460 long enough to characterize the fan as well, but it seemed less active during my time with it. From looking into temps on the 15 (consistently cool), I think this is more a aggressive fan profile on the 15 (triggered by CPU load % rather than temps) than Broadwell vs Skylake or i7 vs i5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.