Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Agreed! I have done exactly this with my new Elitepad 1000.

2. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

Im exited by this tablet, and I don't really care about the silo. I hate a small stylus, and I'm all in favor of reducing thickness.

The only weird thing is the decision of putting the USB 3 only trough the dock.

I would like to see a smack down between this tablet and the hp1000! I think that finally I will be able to travel without my laptop :)

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've told him, but my comment is stuck in moderation at the moment...

JoeS likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why am I not excited about the new ThinkPad 10? Well, for an extra 0.16" thickness, and 0.7# (that's an ouch) I get a full desktop class CPU/GPU combination, USB 3 port, display port (yes kiddies, TWO external 2560x1440 daisy chained displays thank you), built in kickstand, and still get 7-8 hours of battery time in regular use (YMMV). I'm sure my friends like fellow Texan James Kendrick, will laud the wafer thin design and exalt the weight differential over all else (they all have iPad Air envy), but for me it just makes no sense to compromise over that little in thickness, and the additional meat on the bones. To me, the ThinkPad 10 is a companion device - the SPro 2 is THE device. That's why the Asus VivoTab is so intriguing, and so damn frustrating, because if you need a Beast and a Companion, it has the form factor and components for the job, if only it weren't a POS manufacturing failure.

Perhaps the Surface mini will shine more light on the choices, but I STRONGLY disagree over the validity of Windows RT. I DON'T want to use an 8" tablet as a desktop replacement, but I DO want the option to use it as such in a pinch - so unless ARM is MILES BETTER in battery life and performance, why shouldn't I have the option of using the desktop when necessary (or convenient)?

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I am there in this arena already with my Elitepad 1000 and my Venue 8 Pro. Some notes:

- The 10.1" Baytrail x64 works great for everything I have tossed at it so far including Visio 2013 which only ran on my Fujitsu Q702. The Tablet 10 should work just as well since the guts are about the same. I consider this my 'main machine' running all the software I need for home and work.

- The 8" Baytrail x86 works great for portable use. I can take it almost anywhere but I do not take it to work anymore because the screen size is just too challenging for me.

Now for some usage morphing....the V8P is becomming my 'companion device' but right now I am glad it does not have RT on it. While 90% of the time I am only using it for ultra-portable access to Franklin-Covey PlanPlus and OneNote I also use it for Streets & Trips and OpenCPN marine chartplotting. So, RT would not work for me because I am using x86 'legacy' software with it. There is nothing usable as an alternative in the Store yet. What I would like to see:
    1. A Franklin-Covey PlanPlus like program running in the Menu UI
    2. Navigation Software running in the Menu UI (come on Garmin!)
    3. Marine Navigation software for the Menu UI

Then I can switch to RT. In the meantime this little Dell V8P is next to perfect.

Those of you wondering if the Baytrail Atom will cut it in the day to day grind of work, school, or other uses...yes. The Tablet 10 should be close to optimal for a portable yet powerful device!

dellaster likes this.
  6. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you want Navigation software that runs in the Modern/Metro UI, then HERE Maps will do that. It's free, and also has downloadable maps, so you don't need an internet connection. What you do need, though, is GNSS hardware in your tablet. Microsoft didn't bother to include that in any of their Surface models. The Nokia (RT) tablet has it, I believe, and all models of Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet 2 and 10

7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does the SP2 really get that good of battery life? I know my TPT2 used to get a solid 10 hours, I'm not sure how much my current Dell gets but I don't have to ever think about charging it unless it's off the charger for 2-3 days. The weight/thickness of the SP2 are significant IMO, of course this is subject to individual user desires and needs. Another factor is cost, with the SP2 being roughly double the cost of an Atom tablet, maybe even more depending on manufacturer discounts and their sale price versus their retail price.

Where the SP2 shines is as a desktop replacement IMO, which in turn is where Atom shines next to RT. If you want to throw away that big beige box under your desk the SP2 will replace it more easily, of course that depends on how much you tax that big beige box. Although I'm a huge Atom fanboi currently, when the surface Pro line gets thinner and lighter you can be sure I will be buying that.

But yeah, the RT strategy is weird. It's like MS said "Hey you can't use the desktop anymore because mobile is the future, but here is the desktop anyway because you need it to run some of our programs which make us money, but oh we almost forgot you can't use the desktop otherwise." Then the consumer, who by this time is thoroughly confused wonders why he has a desktop at all, but why he can't use it. I've never disagreed with RT itself, many have confused my arguments, I just think MS strategy is confusing and extremely self defeating.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If you want to run 2 separate monitors with an iCore cpu and USB 3, then this tablet isn't for your usage scenario, plain and simple. Which is cool.

For those of us who would never have a set up like that, the tablet is desirable because-
    -its 16:10
    -its Wacom
    -its light
    -its BayTrail, 64 bit
    -it has a keyboard dock and potentially a rugged case that can dock with it
    -it has no fan and will run silent

The q584 checks all those boxes too, with rugged to boot. My primary issue with it is
    -price, and
    -most importantly, I've been very unimpressed by Fujitsu's releases recently. Recent Fuji threads are littered with models that have issues with fans, sound, BIOS, heat, etc- it's a regular occurrence for them now, IMO. Thinkpads have a track record that's proven to me (with my current x230t and TT2, and my previous x200t, etc) that they still (for all the compromises made) provide superb customer service, and models that seem to work better than others.

Honestly, the q584 checks more boxes than the TT10, with its hinged keyboard and included silo, but I'm just still not satisfied it's going to work regularly for me. I've never gotten a Fuji that I've ended up being happy with, but I've kept all my Thinkpads (even my most recent purchases) and always been happy with them. That's enough for me to get a Thinkpad again.

For my usage scenario, the thing that p*sses me off the most is that they seem to have removed the trackpoint, which is a MAJOR element of why I use Thinkpads in the field. I NEED to middle-click and scroll for the programs I use. With these new tablets, I'd actually have to buy some sort of mobile mouse or something. Who knows, as Fuji irons things out, I may try the q584, mostly because the trackpoint was a major selling point to me. Without it, the two devices are very, very similar, with the primary difference being the added thickness and weight of the rugged q584, and the fact that it has a silo.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Bronsky likes this.
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I get 6.5-8 hours on Pro 2 if I add the Power Cover I get 10.5 - 12 hours, I get 11-14 hours on my Surface 2. Also the desktop on RT was a by product of Sinofsky's Team not sharing WinRT native Compilers with the Office Team until the Developer Preview, by that time Office 2013 was 90% Complete, it put the Office Team 2 years behind making WinRT type Office Apps. Lync Mobile was a direct port of the Phone App and OneNote MX was built off of OneNote Mobile Clients that ran on ARM adding the inking engine from the Reader (has been improved).

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you think of it, the quality of the Bay Trail Wacom devices has been really crappy so far. The M80TA is such a mess that its owners are considering baking it with a squirrel (it's a long story). Fuji's usual build quality seems to be absent from the Q584 which is being delivered with gaps, sound issues and other simple QC problems. Hopefully, the Thinkpad is better built but Lenovo has been known recently for having similar problems with quality in its initial production runs. Still, as a Thinkpad fan myself, I would probably be awaiting the release of the TP10, if I was looking for a 10" tablet.

bloodycape likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.