Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I really hope they get back to the TPT2 model where you can put your pen inside. I also wonder if its going to be with the new pen tech as well.

2. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

It's almost a sure bet it will be AES. If you didn't catch this video the other day, they have a new active pen coming out using AES and around the 30 sec mark they show the thinkpad 10 while saying "compatible across multiple thinkpad systems". It will probably be revealed at tech world next weekend.

A bit disappointed they're going with that weird half-rounded look again, but at least it will probably fit with the previous accessories.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  4. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

It has to be AES, the pen looks like the same one in the video, and the video says 'using the latest Wacom technology'.

Could be a game changer, too bad it doesn't come out till later this summer, since it's preloaded with windows 10.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh god, now they call the pen the "ThinkPad Pen Pro" (see press release here). Windows Central then calls it the ActivePen, but I kind of suspect that "Pen Pro" means EMR, not AES. Who wants to place a bet on when we finally figure out the actual pen tech.. I'm going with September.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yea ... that would be my vote too ... EMR, if that means traditional Wacom. See, I still can't figure out which is which. The way Lenovo's been unable to get any of it's new ThinkPads to market these days, I should take November.

Edit: this is odd. Checkout the attribution of the quote.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Here's the thing..... The Pen is "Optional"

A Wacom EMR based tablet would have additional drainage placed on the tablets battery continuously to generate the EMR field. But if you marketing a device with the pen as an optional feature, why would you subject users who have no interest in the pen the same additional battery drainage for a feature they won't use.

The simple fact that the pen is optional almost guarantees the Cherrytrail updated TPT10 will use AES, much like the larger thinkpad models touted to also be using AES. It makes sense for lenovo, since the pen will be sold separately, it would get too confusing for the corporate sheepel if they offered Both a EMR pen, and a AES pen. Just watch as the Helix3 ends up with AES as well.

Also....while that video didn't show a battery in the pen, it's barrel certainly looks big enough for a AAAA. And more disconcerting......there is no eraser on the pen....just a red cap. The only lenovo pens that didn't have erasers was the N-trig based Thinkpad Tablet 1, and the EMR based Thinkpad Tablet 2....but that pen was the toothpick/s-pen styled which is why no there was no eraser. But for a full size pen not to have an eraser would be much more typical for AES

This was my fear from the get go when Wacom announced AES, EMR based tablets will become increasingly less common. Lenovo has almost always stuck with EMR, but if they switching fully to AES, how long before other EMR loyal OEMs like Fujitsu and Toshiba follow suit.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Toshiba is using AES on their Atom based Write 2 tablets.

9. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

10. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

My TP10 has GPS :)