Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there new to the forum.
    Judy got a great deal here on a 2gb/64gb model new with screen shot cover for about 330$USD all in which is great given they start at 620 plus tax plus additional for the quick shot cover.

Have read through this thread extensively but as a mac user would appreciate some tips/tricks and advice :

1) Browser. Stock I. E. For métro works ok. Installed chrome but is not as tablet friendly (no double tap to zoom etc...)
    What browser do you recommend? Also I uninstalled the Maxthon browser thinking it was bloat ware.

2) not used to using anti-spyware stuff. Uninstalled Norton bloat ware trial... is stock Microsoft suite sufficient?
    3) One note seems great prefer look of metro but features of desktop. What do you all use? Ran the handwriting thing to improve recognition. Still can't read my chicken scratch... tips?

4) what must have software to taken advantage of the Wacom digitizer? Not sure I want to shell out a lot of cash at the outset until I better know the tablet though. Tried paint but don't quite get it.....

5) USB port is underpowered. Is there a work around without getting the dock to use external hard drive and or DVD drive?

6) Keyboard. Is everyone using the ultra book lenovo one. ? I wish it had a powered USB. Port given it connects like the dock....
    How is the soft keyboard read 2 reviews that were bad but was just 2 reviews. Maybe it got revised or firmware upped sensitivity?
    Anyone use a Logitech or Microsoft BT keyboard?
    Any other must own accessories?

7) Battery life. What should I enable or disable to optimize performance with good battery life. I axed Norton. Any other things help?

I am sure I will have many more questions but appreciate your help! !!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

2. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Also Noticed with it in standby today it drained about 1 percent an hour about. Is this normal. Thought it was better my first night.
    How can I check for drain and what is using battery. I know how in android and ios.....

3. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Metro IE for what you can, Chrome for the rest of what you need. That's the best combo.

Stock Microsoft is okay, just play safe.

OneNote is great, use Metro as much as you can and hop out to desktop when you need more power. That's the best combo (you'll notice a theme here soon :) )

Apps:
    Note Anytime
    Microsoft Bingo/Sodoku/etc. Great casual games.
    NY Times Crossword, again, great for writing in the mini puzzle
    Wordament, great MS swipe words game
    Stock Metro News app
    Stock Weather App is good
    Stock Mail app is okay.
    Not a lot of great metro apps...

The onscreen keyboard works great, especially in Metro.

I prefer the Thinkpad Bluetooth Keyboard, built in trackpoint for mouse.

You'll just need a powered hub for anything serious.

No other accessories really necessary, enjoy the cheapness of it!

For battery life, give it a few days of charge cycles to let it settle in. Make sure to run all of the "System Updates" from Lenovo.

Precurve, Canabuc and gcoupe like this.
  4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

apologies but the thinkpad 10 is similar to the note 10.1 2014 screen as that is 10.1 and 16:10??

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yes, 10.1" 16:10.

7. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thabks for the advice will check those out

8. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there anything that gives you real time battery use metrics?

9. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Sleep study sounds good but I am also curious to know battery drain while in use. I.e. in android it will tell me screen on time wifi use operating system use, as well as which apps used most battery. This would be useful too.

10. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, I had a WiFi adapter/driver issue when upgrading the earlier Windows 10 TP to yesterday's big release. Most of you may already know this, but just in case you're new or the frustration is clouding your diagnostic skills ;-), basically I found that I had to re-run the Broadcom exe in Win 8 compatibility mode to get things working again.

So, if you're upgrading to the latest W10 TP and you suddenly lose your WiFi, you may see something like: “This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31). An object ID was not found in the file.

These are the steps I used to correct my issue (your "Code" number may be different.)
    • Locate the .exe file for the driver installation program.*
    • Right-click the file, and then click Properties.
    • In the Package Name Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.
    • Click to select the Run this program in compatibility mode for check box, select Windows 8, and then click OK.
    • Double-click the executable file to start the installation program.
    * Obviously,, if you've already done the W10 update, and/or just can't find the appropriate file on your device (like me, LOL) and cant get to Wi-Fi, you'll need to use another computer to download the file and put it on a USB drive, SD card, etc. and transfer it to your TP10.

I found the latest files (?) here:
    http://www.notebook-driver.com/thinkpad/lenovo-thinkpad-10-windows-drivers-software/
    and I downloaded "Broadcom BCM4324 Wireless LAN Driver for ThinkPad 10" for Windows 8.1 64-bit (be sure to select your OS version in the listbox control above the list of files.

This is the direct download link for 64-bit:
    http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/guw502ww.exe

and this is the direct download link for 32-bit: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/guwv07ww.exe

[Edit] Forgot to mention - My particular TP10 in question here is a 4GB/128GB model with 4G. I initially had a minor warning on the Sierra card (wireless) but it seemed to resolved itself after the few reboots, etc. My initial upgrade yesterday failed due to my own stupidity of not applying the latest W10 TP updates (Dec.) prior to yesterday's build.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    gcoupe and JoeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.