Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's probably an issue with your Asus then. HERE Maps will use whatever the Windows Location Service in Windows 8.1 gives it. If the WLS can't find, or can't connect with, any GNSS hardware in a tablet, then it will fall back to using the WiFi as a source for location data.

Edit: and looking at the specs for the Asus Vivotab Note 8, I see no mention whatsoever of GNSS hardware, so it doesn't surprise me that HERE Maps got crap data from the WLS.

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PC Mag states, ``The VivoTab Note 8 supports GPS/GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System, aka, the Russian GPS system) included, which can help navigation and local search capabilities.''

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456381,00.asp

and Device Manager shows a ``Broadcom GNSS 4752 Geolocation Sensor'' so the hardware would seem to be there.

HJK likes this.
  3. gcoupe

In which case, the WLS, and hence HERE Maps, should be using it. It certainly does on my TP10. On some tablets the internal antenna is too wimpy to get a fix on the GPS satellites when indoors. Have you tried it outside?

4. WillAdams

Downloaded Jack of Tools and it was able to access GPS w/o difficulty.

The problem seems to be that the system doesn't have software to connect the twain. Is there an option other then Centrafuse Localizer?

5. gcoupe

Centrafuse Localizer is for a different scenario entirely - it's a software shim to pass data from WLS to a virtual COM port, as used by traditional Windows desktop applications.

Jack of Tools displays WLS data. If it can see it, then so should HERE Maps.

6. WillAdams

As noted, JoT works, Maps doesn't. I'll start a new thread in the Asus forum.

7. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

WillAdams
    Let me know when/where you start that thread. I'm having the same problem--GNSS clearly shows up in device manager, but Here Maps won't work offline. Honestly, this is a make-it-or-break-it thing for me. If I can't get Here Maps to work at all offline, I'm shipping this thing back to Amazon.

8. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

And, just for clarification, downloading JoT did *NOT* fix your Here Maps problem, correct?

9. WillAdams

Correct. JoT simply proved that the GPS chip was present and working.

GPS reverse got it connecting to Maps (or at least it seemed to be connecting), now l just have to find an offline app.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. bizlazybug

bizlazybug Pen Pal - Newbie

Just out of curiosity, do any of you using HERE maps, have the screen turn off when you're looking for a GPS connection? I've found that if your tablet screen turns off (goes into connected standby/sleep due to inactivity) then it will stop looking for satellites to connect to.

You can also try using Navmii in the Windows Store, it also supports offline maps and actually has navigation (but I haven't figured out how to make it actually navigate yet)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.