Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Me too, but that seems to have been a one time thing. It really was unprecedented, so I wouldn't wait for that exact deal. But a 128GB model for around $450 seems reasonably likely.

2. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Scribbler - Standard Member

The outlet dead for anyone else? They had the Redistributed 128GB/4GB ram models at $399 on the outlet at one point, but it lasted for less than a day.

3. JoeS

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

And, according to the post, it has a digitizer pen. Incredible price. But, I can't tell the difference between that and the units its charging $505 for.

5. snoxu

snoxu Pen Pal - Newbie

edit: nevermind

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  6. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

curious if anyone has tried both the 2gb ram version and the 4gb to see if there really was any noticeable difference in performance. i can deal with 64 gb of memory...... but wondering how much better performance one has with double the ram.....

7. JoeS

I don't think there's a difference. You can use 'compare models', and they appear to be identical. I can't for the life of me figure out the logic of their pricing on that site. Either way, great deal, if I didn't have the $400 128GB model already I'd have jumped on this one.

8. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, we have several of each (and competitive models) and we only recommend the models with 4GB of RAM for our customers based on the suite of software they are using. We don't find much difference in performance if the user is running applications which were designed with mobility in mind (i.e. optimized for lower-spec CPU/GPU vs. traditionally bloated software) but when they are running certain "legacy" apps which were written primarily for desktop systems where RAM and various I/O components are either faster or easily upgradable, there is s noticeable difference between devices which can run in a 64-bit space and draw upon more RAM.

Remember (and I'm speaking generally, so please no flames from the uber-geeks, LOL), when your app exceeds the available RAM, it is going to "go virtual" - i.e. use storage for RAM type functions. Even on systems with speedy SSDs, you feel the difference, but to make matters worse, these systems use eMMC which itself is considerably slower than modern SSds (as is "the pipe"), and guess what - you REALLY feel it... Our users tend to (unreasonably) expect these $500 - $800 tablets to somehow magically perform like their monster desktops and can be quickly & easily disappointed when their hoggy software doesn't run as well as they are expecting. We test our own software against almost every released tablet as well as our fair share of engineering samples under NDA, even devices like the lowly HP Stream 7 (1 GB of RAM) in an effort to push for efficiency. Our apps run acceptably well (my opinion) but we use a stated minimum spec of 2 GB as a sort of "contingency buffer", but when one starts throwing more at the device than it was reasonably designed for, guess who get the blame for encouraging them to "go mobile?" :-\

Anyway, YMMV per your required software profile and I note that MOST here are experienced Tablet PC veterans, but I also note a growing number of readers here who are desiring to run some pretty heavy apps... I recommend checking the requirements of your favorite apps and learning how to CLOSE apps when not in use. I know, a pain, right? In any case, I suggest that IF you are doing things other than casual "consumption" type activities on a regular basis, the small upcharge to get to a 64-bit OS and the extra 2 GB of RAM may well be worth it to you. Just my 2¢ on this and I mean this to be helpful, not caustic. If it reads differently, please chalk it up to my poor command of the English language :)

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

If they had the 128/4 Gb version selling for $400 last week, I would have probably bought it, instead of the Helix. The Helix is a better machine in my opinion, but I'm a suckered for saving money....

10. JoeS

Compared to the Helix 1 this thing would be excruciatingly slow. Plus you'd still have to buy the $120 fixed angle keyboard and miss trackpoint. You got the better deal if you needed a new main machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.