Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't think there's a difference. You can use 'compare models', and they appear to be identical. I can't for the life of me figure out the logic of their pricing on that site. Either way, great deal, if I didn't have the $400 128GB model already I'd have jumped on this one.

2. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, we have several of each (and competitive models) and we only recommend the models with 4GB of RAM for our customers based on the suite of software they are using. We don't find much difference in performance if the user is running applications which were designed with mobility in mind (i.e. optimized for lower-spec CPU/GPU vs. traditionally bloated software) but when they are running certain "legacy" apps which were written primarily for desktop systems where RAM and various I/O components are either faster or easily upgradable, there is s noticeable difference between devices which can run in a 64-bit space and draw upon more RAM.

Remember (and I'm speaking generally, so please no flames from the uber-geeks, LOL), when your app exceeds the available RAM, it is going to "go virtual" - i.e. use storage for RAM type functions. Even on systems with speedy SSDs, you feel the difference, but to make matters worse, these systems use eMMC which itself is considerably slower than modern SSds (as is "the pipe"), and guess what - you REALLY feel it... Our users tend to (unreasonably) expect these $500 - $800 tablets to somehow magically perform like their monster desktops and can be quickly & easily disappointed when their hoggy software doesn't run as well as they are expecting. We test our own software against almost every released tablet as well as our fair share of engineering samples under NDA, even devices like the lowly HP Stream 7 (1 GB of RAM) in an effort to push for efficiency. Our apps run acceptably well (my opinion) but we use a stated minimum spec of 2 GB as a sort of "contingency buffer", but when one starts throwing more at the device than it was reasonably designed for, guess who get the blame for encouraging them to "go mobile?" :-\

Anyway, YMMV per your required software profile and I note that MOST here are experienced Tablet PC veterans, but I also note a growing number of readers here who are desiring to run some pretty heavy apps... I recommend checking the requirements of your favorite apps and learning how to CLOSE apps when not in use. I know, a pain, right? In any case, I suggest that IF you are doing things other than casual "consumption" type activities on a regular basis, the small upcharge to get to a 64-bit OS and the extra 2 GB of RAM may well be worth it to you. Just my 2¢ on this and I mean this to be helpful, not caustic. If it reads differently, please chalk it up to my poor command of the English language :)

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

If they had the 128/4 Gb version selling for $400 last week, I would have probably bought it, instead of the Helix. The Helix is a better machine in my opinion, but I'm a suckered for saving money....

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Compared to the Helix 1 this thing would be excruciatingly slow. Plus you'd still have to buy the $120 fixed angle keyboard and miss trackpoint. You got the better deal if you needed a new main machine.

5. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

If the additional processing heft (or the i7 chip) on the Helix is not needed, then you can go for the TPT10, get a case with adjustable kick stands, and spend $70 on this keyboard:
    [​IMG]

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Lenovo appears to have opened an outlet on eBay now and have 128 GB Win 8.1 Pro Tablet 10's for $499. I thought about it to replace my busticated Elitepad 1000 but my Helix is working out for me right now so this would derail things on that front. Anyway, here is the link to the device but click on the 'store' link to see the rest of the offerings....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...US_Tablets&hash=item23409648e7#ht_2109wt_1306

Edit: Holy cow! When I posted this there were still 69 left...now it is showing all sold out! Save the store in your search listing and check it periodically. More may show up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    JoeS likes this.
  7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

But isn't this the regular price for this device? It sold out just because that was eBay?

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No, the 128 GB with 8.1 Pro is $767 on Lenovo's site 'on sale.' At resellers it is over $800.

9. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, I feel kind of dumb for selling two of my extra TP10s to a forum member for $350 and $400, respectively! I always end up with several examples of devices like this (we use them for testing our software) and after a few weeks of testing, we only keep one or two around for comparison. My CFO has recently started urging me to get rid of unused stuff to get them off the books after pointing out the number of ancient devices I have gathering dust in my storage closet.

Does anyone here have a suggestion for the best method to dump gently used equipment? In my situation, I "can't be bothered" to deal with tire kickers and negotiations on transactions this small, so my method is to just sell cheap. Yeah, I know - My unwillingness to spend time on stuff like this is in direct conflict with the fact that I spend so much time on forums trying to help/advise, etc. This is just a personal personality trait (flaw)... ;-)

BTW, this post is not meant to be an offer to sell stuff to folks. I don't really have much that might interest this crowd ATM, but my penchant for buying lots of tablets as they come out is not likely to subside, so I envision having 2 or 3 extra units of various configurations in the coming months, so I'm trying to get a good idea how best to do this so I can turn it over to one of my techs to manage.

TIA for any advice.

BTW, I should be able to start making helpful (?) posts regarding TP10 WWAN stuff soon. I ordered two for my US office to replace Wi-Fi models and we have several deployed in other countries.

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

10. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

We have a Buy and Sell sub-forum here at the TPCR. You can list the whole lot there and their prices in a single post (or individually if you got the time) . You'd have to follow the Sell rules of posting at least 1 pic with your user name on the device to prove it's yours, and you and device are real.

But eBay will be the easiest and fastest almost trouble-less way to do it. If you go the eBay way, it'd be nice if you make a post here at TPCR letting us know what you're selling.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.