Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Scribbler - Standard Member

They're at $449 on the outlet right now, but after tax it'll go up to $480 or so. If it doesn't get down to $399 again then I'm just going to wait till Black Friday. I don't want to cheap out on my favorite brand of business devices, but I really can't justify getting a companion device for more than that, especially if I want a dock or keyboard.

2. ammarr

ammarr Pen Pal - Newbie

Enjoying my TP10 so far. Awesome tablet hybrid.

One minor issue; It seems like as soon as you press a key on the keyboard, the touchpad is disabled for a second. Its annoying when ctrl+clicking on links.. as soon as you press ctrl, the trackpad stops responding, so clicking has no affect. Clicking again does the trick. I found something in PC Settings to turn off the delay but doesn't seem to have any affect on it. Anyone figure out where this delay can be controlled?

3. BruinEric

BruinEric Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I've spent a bit more than a month with my 20C1002RUS model so far and I'm not totally satisfied with the experience. I'm probably going to end up listing mine for sale for what I paid for it plus shipping. I bought during the $399 one-day deal.

Some general thoughts, pros, cons, etc:
    -The screen resolution in HD is very nice. Performance on video is quite good.
    -The Wacom stylus experience is wonderful. So much better than what I experienced with the Dell Venue Pro 11.
    -Having the full Windows desktop is vital.
    -It really is quite light and manageable.
    -I linked with a monitor using the HDMI connector and it worked great.
    -I had some trouble with a USB keyboard driver issues, but they're resolved for now.
    -I have a cheap full tablet leather-ish folio cover, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND. A week ago, the speakers stopped working and then later started working fine when I booted it up in the morning. Then days later it happened again but when I pulled it out of the folio cover, the back was quite hot. A reboot solved that issue. My deduction is that the full folio cover is causing heating issues.
    -My aim was to have this be my one-device laptop replacement. Use it for note taking with the stylus, use it as an e-reader, but also connect a keyboard and use as my personal laptop. The computer it is replacing is an old Atom so I figured the horsepower would be enough. But at the end of the day it just isn't what I'd like and I can't quite put my finger on it. I find myself frustrated with the performance even though it is faster than my prior netbook. I find myself leaning more toward my handy notebook rather than the tablet note-taking experience. And I find myself wanting a better keyboarding experience than my portable logitech wireless USB experience. So I think I'm just going to have to go with a slim laptop augmented by an iphone. I'm thinking that tablets just aren't my thing.
    -The Lenovo thinkpad service is surprisingly good. When I first called about the speaker issue to open a case, I received prompt help. Of course, the next morning the speakers worked again so I didn't send the tablet back.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    ile likes this.
  4. BruinEric

BruinEric Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah ... I'm going to list it for sale shortly on the FS forum here for a few days before I try Ebay. Price is what I paid for it plus shipping which = $450 ($399 + CA taxes & environmental fee + $16 to ship). I might not get the listing up immediately. Warranty is still good to next Sept.

Then I'm going to just admit I am just not a tablet-guy and lug around a clunky notebook computer. :(

5. kuau

kuau Pen Pal - Newbie

I paid 475.00 on eBay with free shipping no tax, I also got this case from amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5E1Y3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Have not had any over heating issues and the flap actually shuts off the tablet...

Of course I wish I could have paid 399.00 at the Lenovo outlet but I missed the deal though out the door with tax for me would have been 428.00 so I paid 50.00 more not the end of the world.

I think it's a great tablet, I prefer the 1920*1280 resolution. I am coming from a Nokia 2520 which at the time I also liked. I would have stuck with my 2520 though I am getting concerned that Windows 8 RT is going to die, I don't see any new RT tablets coming out..

ile likes this.
  6. kuau

kuau Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible to update the recovery partition to the latest Windows 8.1 64 pro so if I have to do a refresh I dot have to do millions of windows updates?
    Or
    Is there a way to make a recover USB thumb drive with all the latest updates and just remove þe recovery partition and get a little extra recovered storage?

7. Wesley

Wesley Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder the same.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

....It Sounds like the Surface Pro 2 would literally be the perfect tablet for you. It's thicker then the TPT10, but it's got an overall similar footprint with a 16:9 ratio 10.6 screen....compared to the TPT10,s 16:10 10.1 screen. It has a haswell core i5 that will definitely give you the Performance your looking for....and add in the battery type cover, and you have a decent keyboard option, and a combined battery life that would be near the TPT10. Even the price range would be in the $500-$600 range.

9. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the tough part right here. I loved the SP3 but a lot of times I find that I need a better lapability/keyboard experience than the SP3 affords. There's only so much you can do in "tablet" mode. After all, it isn't an iPad with tons of touch optimized apps, it's a Windows computer with minimal touch apps which leave you going to the desktop for a lot of things.

One device that worked really well for me was the Thinkpad Yoga. It's a little chunky for a tablet and for note-taking, but it does work extremely well for those tasks and having the built-in Thinkpad keyboard and full laptop experience is quite powerful. I had the i7-8GB-256GB version and got about 6 hours on it, but I just saw the TP10 on CDW Outlet so I'm going to give the TP10 another try. I really can use the integrated WWAN which the TP Yoga did not have and the TP10 does. But I could very easily be back to the Yoga within a month.

It's fairly expensive, but the best hybrid device yet IMHO.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

You are aware that the TP10 is Atom based, right? Your i7 Yoga is, well, like an Impala SS where the TP10 will be more like a Chevy Cruze with a 4 cylinder automatic. Just pointing this out just in case...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.