Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuxonom

nuxonom Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the potential double posting, but i'm still under moderation.

If anyone who has the tp10 and a UHS-1, class 10, or better speed micro sd card post transfer speeds? Also, a comparison between "quick removal" and "better performance" speeds?

The UHS-1 spec has a minimum speed rating of 10 MB/sec. I often get half that on my tpt2, so I'm leaning towards a choke somewhere on the sd card slot's connection to the chipset...

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder which would impact overall speed more in real worlds use, the slower CPU on the i3 or the slower MMC on the tpt10. I guess it matters how they are used.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

eMMC if my Asus M80TA's usage is being properly reflected on the performance charts. I am constantly maxing out my RAM and eMMC drive at 100%. My CPU barely breaks a sweat on most things.

4. phositadc

phositadc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. That seems simple enough. I just took a quick look at the driver downloads available on Lenovo's webpage, and the only thing I didn't see was a graphics driver. Anybody know which graphic driver one should use?

This is turning into a tough decision whether to get this or the SP3. Ultimately, I love the size of the TP10. But when you add the keyboard to it, it actually weighs MORE than the SP3 w/ keyboard.

Also, lack of kickstand on the TP10 means it won't be quite as easy to use unless I get some sort of a kickstand case for it. But fanless design of TP10 is awesome.

Decisions, decisions. If the TP10 was more widely available I'd grab one and do a direct comparison to SP3. But Lenovo's website is showing a 3 week lag time. And knowing Lenovo, 3 weeks could easily mean something longer.

5. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you think you'll need a keyboard often, and you can live within the 64gb of space with sd card, then the SP3 is a good choice. (If the i3 SP3 came with 128 vs 64gb it would be an easier decision.)

I like the TT2 a lot (expect for speed) so I'm eager to try the T10, but I'm not sold on it yet. My Thinkpad Bluetooth keyboard gave out on me so I'll need to get another one, that will make a great combo and if I could only find a good case for both, that would be great.

One compelling advantage the T10 has for me is the ability to add WWAN capability (that and just the fact that it's a Thinkpad :) )

6. zendokan

zendokan Pen Pal - Newbie

The eMMC is 3-4 times slower than the SSD, the i3 is not slower than the atom:

Dell Inc. Venue 11 Pro 7130 vs LENOVO 20C3Z06ZUS - Geekbench Browser

core i3 vs Atom | Microsoft Surface Forums

It looks significantly faster than the atom for real world scenarios and more future-proof due to more instructions.

Main differences from my point of view:

- on 12" virtual keyboard you can write short text and stuff, its a normal sized keyboard, 10" no 10 finger system possible
    - no LTE on SP3, for TP10 short WIFI range problems are reported (horror to me)
    - hard to read small font size PDF on TP10 screen without scrolling and zooming constantly vertical/horizontal
    - Performance see above, eMMC brakes the system considerably
    - SP3 digitizer has erase, one note shortcut button (don't know about TP10)
    - kickstand huge pro
    - i5 and i7 get very hot on SP3, active cooling, lot of dust in chassis can increase this problem even more over the months I fear.
    - SP 200g heavier, don't think i can handle this some hours, even the 600g of the TP10 are not really light for some hours, good android tablet are around 450g for 10", so the kickstand is very valuable to me
    - SP has usb3, TP not, don't like this much, even TP8 has it
    - TP maybe over 10 hours useage time, but who uses it that much every day without a real keyboard?

Summar summarum I'm probably going with the SP3 with i3 or i5 with 128 GB SSD and 4GB RAM, SDXC card is possible for i3 model, but 64 + 64GB SD is tight, 128 GB SDXC expensive. Even the SP3 with i5 is probably worth to think about, when you get discount. If you only use the TP10 as ultraportable tablet with LTE, it's probably fine, otherwise it's too pricey, while the SP3 can also be a full-time notebook for nearly same price or 100 $ extra and resold in 1-2 years.

The Thinkpad Yoga is actually a nice competitor to the surface pro with reasonable price, but the TP10 got very expensive overall, for what reasons? Atom and eMMC should be much cheaper than i3 and SSD imo.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I've said before, I'm still trying to nail the decision between the TP10 and the SP3 for myself. Frankly, for my usage, I think the TP10 is a better fit. Yes, the SP3 has better performance, but it also has a crappy fixed-focus camera, no GPS chip, and that fan is probably one compromise too many for me. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

I received my tablet today and am still testing it out and getting everything loaded on it, but so far, I'm really liking it. I think it will be powerful enough to be my only system. It is pretty stable on my lap with the keyboard.

One thing that's weird, my Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000 will not work with it! It makes a noise letting me know that the receiver is plugged in, but then the mouse doesn't work. The same mouse works fine on my Thinkpad Yoga and other laptops. I even tried a different MMM4000, and it did the same thing. A logitech mouse works fine.

Also, Battery Bar shows my battery wear at 6.5% already. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse quickly.

I'll play around with it some more, but so far, it looks like it's a keeper.

9. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Received mine today as well...right off the bat some initial observations...

Office 365 Personal for 1 year subscription in the box, don't need it but wasn't thinking it came with anything.
    A whole lot faster than the TT2, no comparison at all. Many times faster...
    Gets hot under constant load for sure, running all the updates and syncing apps etc.
    Proprietary charge adapter is a disappointment. I liked being able to charge the TT2 via micro usb.
    The pen is okay, not as nice as the one they shipped with the X230T or Thinkpad Yoga.
    I'm not a fan of the aluminum backing, prefer the rubber feel on the TT2.
    The quickshot cover is nice, snaps right on like the Type Cover on the Surface Pro and there is a little magnet that holds it flat against the back when open.
    The capacitive Start button is not as nice as the push button on the TT2, sometimes it doesn't register and you really have to feel for the short vibration to let you know it registered the touch.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    gcoupe likes this.
  10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Please, do so. I'll add a link to your guide to the Compendium thread. If you're uncertain about the legality of it, be vague about where to get the ISO. Im sure that, If you go too far, the mods will just edit the controversial portions of your guide. No ban.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.