Lenovo Thinkpad 10 2nd Gen 1 month review

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bishop, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Model versions:
    Lenovo's website shows manuals for two groups of ThinkPad 10 devices:

ThinkPad 10 (20C1, 20C3) copyrighted 2014, 2015, and
    ThinkPad 10 (20E3, 20E4) copyrighted 2015, 2016

The "detect my model" software reports my device as the 20E3 variant.

Here is a comparison of the hardware layouts (B&W is 20C1, Color is 20E3):
    TP1020C1.JPG
    TP1020E3.JPG

You can see various items have moved, including the power connector from left side to right. There is a second diagram for the 20E3 showing camera, flash, fingerprint scanner and speakers on the back. The drawing of the device in the 20E3 model is odd in that it appears to show a raised section on the back, which is not in fact present on the device.

Page 15 of the 20C1 manual clearly describes the EMR stylus with the eraser end. Page 23 of the 20E3 manual clearly describes unscrewing the pen to install or replace battery.

The Lenovo website is not particularly helpful in explaining when, how or why the device nomenclature changed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. kwacky1

kwacky1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you able to tell me if the location services is able to use GNSS when there is no SIM card installed?

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Bishop,
    you're right. My wifes is the TT10 gen 1. I've actually transitioned to using it. I quite like it with the keyboard. Very acceptable for mobile usage. I had a question for you. On the gen 2 model, does the trackpad have any multitouch gestures? My trackpad is a bit chunky, and is definitely not the "Precision" trackpad MS requires now for Win10- no pinch to zoom, no special windows to program things in the settings. If your model has a better trackpad, I might try getting the keyboard and seeing if it will dock with my older tablet. Of course, a newer tablet would also be lovely, but it currently the keyboard that is the limitation on this device.

Thanks for any input you can provide on your keyboard and trackpad experience.

Yao likes this.
  4. Bishop

Two finger scroll up and down is about all I can get it to do. Does not seem to support pinch to zoom. There are no special settings I can find. I'll confess I started using it out of the box and never looked to see if there were any drivers to specifically enable such functions. It is a very narrow rectangular shape to fit the footprint of the device.

Hope this helps.

5. Steve B

Yeah, that means its essentially the same keyboard that came with the gen1 model. It's got nice key travel and bounce, and I'm glad it has all the function keys, but the trackpad is also very small on mine. I really really wish they had sold an option to have a trackpoint with buttons instead. That would have been ideal for my use, but oh well. It's otherwise a pretty good dock (has a silo!), and I like the tablet.

Thanks for the info Bishop.!

6. Steve B

Bishop,
    I've been on the hunt for a newer, faster 10" Windows device, and the TT10 gen 2 is very high on the list. I want a good keyboard (clamshell would be best), a good pen, and WWAN. I need to be able to type things up in my truck or elsewhere. I had a few quick questions for you-
    1) do you know if the WWAN works for ATT too? or if there's an ATT version? I have everything on ATT, and don't need/ want to switch.
    2) RE: the silo in the keyboard- what sort of pen does this hold? Obviously its an AES pen, but does it have a supercapacitor and it charges in the keyboard? Or does the pen have a battery in it and is "full-sized" and you just have a sort of silo in the keyboard?
    3) How's the power on the CPU? There were some complaints about it back in the beginning, but I remember reading a BIOS update improved it. The TT10 gen 1 is definitely underpowered, and can even lag while typing at times.
    4) Can you give a mini-review of the inking experience? I use my tablet for inking all the time in client meetings, and I'd like to know what your thoughts are, as you've used other stylus'.

7. Bishop

Steve:

Just want to make sure you know Lenovo discontinued the device. There still seem to be some parts/accessories available. The only 10" with a serious (more than Atom) processor I know of right now is the Galaxy Book 10. Great pen experience, acceptable 1 or 2 app performance, but only a folio keyboard. I hold out hope Windows on ARM is going to bring some new 10" options in the next few months. But you know what they say about wishing...

With respect to your questions on the Thinkpad 10:

1. There is nothing in the documentation one way or the other. Googling around, I can't find any user messages or questions (on any boards) indicating anyone raised issues with AT&T about connecting or performing. An AT&T rep told me yesterday my device would connect to their network after checking the IMEI # (whatever confidence you may have in phone sales support).

2. Pen requires AAAA. No charging, but the silo in the physical keyboard accessory is full sized. Nice click in and out. Also has a hard plastic "pen loop dongle" that goes in the USB port and you can slide the barrel of the pen in it up to the pocket clip. In that config, the pen is parallel to the short side of the frame.

3. The processor is best kept to a small number of apps running at a time. I only ever used the UWP/Windows Store versions of Office/OneNote apps. Anything in the classic control panel and updates run slowly like most Atom processors I've seen. I think the only full desktop apps I use on it have been Firefox and Evernote.

4. My pen scale best to worst is:

S-Pen/Wacom ---> Surface Pen --->AES ---> NTrig ---> Whatever Dell used

This is a middle of the road AES quality experience. The pen tip is harder, so you can have some audible clicking when writing. The harder tip also makes it slick when writing on the screen. I don't use screen protectors, so I don't know how that would affect it. No issues around the edges or corners of the screen. It works well for note taking and simple line drawing. I don't run or attempt any of the art/drawing apps, so I can't opine for those purposes.

When I need portable, LTE connected, ink-based note taking, it solidly meets my use case. Full disclosure: I am using the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 a lot lately because I've had some longer trips and needed full Office, other desktop apps, and more screen space. Loving the S-Pen.

8. Steve B

I do know that Lenovo discontinued the device, but I can pick it up used or in their outlet store anyways. Most important concerns for me without a) the hardware keyboard had a slot for the pen in it, b) there was LTE available, c) that it’s noticeably faster than my Bay Trail TT10, d) if the pen needed batteries or not and e) what your experience was like with the pen.

You’ve answers all those issues! The next question is to decide if I want something smaller that works better as an all around tablet (a used Galaxy Tab A 8.0 with s-pen) for nite taking, browsing, and sketching or b) if I want a mobile mini-laptop with dock, pen, and LTE that is a little bigger, like the TT10 gen 2. That’s for me to decide though.

9. Bishop

Best of luck.

BTW -- If you haven't tried the (relatively) new Wacom Bamboo Ink Stylus I recommend it.

Designed for AES devices, it does require a AAAA battery. The barrel has a slightly textured matte finish that is easy to grip. It also is ever so slightly not round, but gently triangular which adds to the grip-ability.

It comes with 3 additional nibs of varying hardness. The standard nib has just enough of a softened tip to present some friction to the screen.

It has two adjacent buttons. Bottom one activates eraser in OneNote by default, upper activates select. The documentation indicates the buttons can be used to configure compatibility settings.

The end opposite the nib is an inset button above the pocket clip. You can click it to pair with Bluetooth to pull up apps automatically by clicking that button. Seems to run off the same AAAA battery.

It is a bit pricey at $69 and change at Best Buy, but it works as one back up/replacement for at least 3 devices, so still a value.

It also works on my HP Envy Note 8.

10. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

the Thinkpad Tablet 10 2nd gen is a nice tablet overall except 2 things:

1) i wish they kept Wacom EMR
    2) still pretty expensive as compared to the Dell venue 10 pro 5056 model which has similar specs, Wacom AES.