Lenovo Thinkpad 10 2nd Gen 1 month review

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bishop, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Background:
    My main companion device has been the HP Envy Note 8. Pros: Verizon WWAN support, decent pen function; Cons: Slow performance, weak battery life on WWAN, small storage, and frankly not enough screen real estate for good note taking.

I spent some time with the iPad Pro 9.7 and Apple Pencil. It solved all the cons above except I prefer the Windows ecosystem and the Apple Pencil is a distraction one step below writing with a 12 inch white feather quill pen (based on stares from co-workers).

This set me on a search for a 10 inch Windows based tablet. I ruled out Dell because of their hardware issues around pens, and general build quality.

Lenovo:
    I settled on the Lenovo Thinkpad 10 2nd Gen. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-10-2nd-gen/?menu-id=thinkpad_10_2nd_gen .

Specifically, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, and WWAN card (supported by Verizon). The screen is bright, with well balanced color. The optional pen is the Lenovo Active Pen (AAAA battery required); very responsive. The extra screen real estate for OneNote and Edge makes note taking reasonable.

Overall performance running Windows Store Apps is great. The only desktop applications I've installed so far are Firefox (for those legacy sites that still won't handle the Edge browser), and EverNote. Tasks like DiskCleanUp actually complete in reasonable times.

Battery life is good as well. I'm getting about 7 hrs with WWAN running, and almost 10 on WiFi. Charges very quickly.

It's less than 1/2 inch longer than the iPad, and only slightly thicker; so size is not a problem.

I ordered both the quick shot cover and the keyboard base. This allows me to both move around between meetings and take ink notes with no more bulk than the iPad, and toss the keyboard in my briefcase for short trips. The cover works like the iPad cover and includes an elastic loop for the pen. It is a serviceable stand. The keyboard base has a silo for the pen; it makes lap typing acceptable. I wouldn't try to create massive documents from scratch with it, but editing is quite manageable.

Conclusion:
    My use case is companion device which means accepting certain trade offs. This Lenovo fits the bill and solves my earlier complaints within reasonable tolerances. Trying to tether tablets to cell phones means losing phone battery life and sometimes voice service on the phone; having Verizon WWAN is key to my use case. I use a Surface Book when I'm home, and enjoy the screen, pen, battery life, etc. But I certainly don't want to lug it around the office or travel with it.

The Lenovo will make the cut for a long time to come.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I could not agree with you more about WWAN. This is a change for me, since I originally felt that my Wifi S3 required only access to the web through my Samsung Galaxy Note 5's hot spot setting. Although my original use scenario required very little access via cell phone hot spot, I have increased that access more and more, as I tend to work in places where there is no Wifi available. That has cost me battery life on my GN5 and has made me think that my next device should have it's own WWAN/cell access.

ships10 and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

Interesting you write this. I got an S3 for its form factor on the same connectivity premise, and reached the same conclusion. (My youngest picked my S3 to take to school.)

My further issue about WiFi is increasing concerns about security on public spots. With WWAN, if I can get on the phone, I can get the TP10-2dGen on the internet.

BTW - Lenovo did well upgrading it to Intel Atom x7-Z8700 Processor (2MB Cache, up to 2.40GHz). It runs slightly better than the S3 for my uses. I also tried the Huawei Matebook 12 inch (no WWAN) running the Core M, and really couldn't tell the difference with the TP10-2dGen for companion device tasks.

Starlight5 and Bronsky like this.
  4. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now you all know why I want tablets with 4G LTE connectivity.
    Luckily for me I was able to find a Verizon S3 .
    WWAN is a god send for my usage scenario.

Starlight5, Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is pretty awesome Lenovo is still maintaining the TPT line.

Does anyone know if they retained the Wacom EMR digitizer?

6. Bishop

Yes. It's also the same pen for Miix 700, 710, 720, 510 & Yoga 900s

7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't those models use Wacom AES rather than Wacom EMR?

The previous Thinkpad 10 model used Wacom EMR which was a nice for 'old-school' tablet users.

8. Bishop

Dang auto correct. AES not yes. Apologies for the typo.

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Wait- my wife has a Thinkpad Tablet 10, gen 2. It's an EMR pen, and a nice one too. In the silo. No pens at all, no charging either. And no batteries....

I'm confused by your description Bishop. I think of that device as one of the last really good emr tablets. It even has a nice 16:10 ratio.

10. Bishop

Steve:

I haven't found a pen silo on the tablet itself, only in the optional keyboard. The pen I ordered from Lenovo came with a AAAA battery. None of my old Wacom pens without batteries will drive the digitizer on it.

Is her ThinkPad 10 different from the one linked in my first post?