Lenovo Tablet doubles as second monitor

Discussion in 'Lenovo (Android)' started by desertlap, May 6, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As the boards resident multi-monitor nut, this interests me greatly and its more unique then it appears. Sidecar/Super Display methods are more software/firmware based jury rigging a Tablet into a second monitor by varying combinations of USB/Wireless/& Bluetooth.

This connects via HDMI which would suggest its 2nd monitor capability is hardware based making it more akin to a true monitor, for a tablet that is a rare feature. I find it a bit odd though that it would connect via HDMI, since USB-C with Display Port overlay is far more common and easier. But for certain users, like those with a Surface Pro 5 or 6 that don't have USB-C ports, this would be an interesting device, since technically one could use this along side SuperDisplay for a 3-monitor solution. The fact that this tablet would run off its own battery power is especially key since Super Display's wired connection forces a USB power draw (that can't be disabled), so for most devices like a Pro 5 or HP Zbook X2, unless the USB-C monitor has a battery or an external power source, you can't use Super Display and a USB-C monitor at the same time since the main device can only power one or the other.

And as far as USB-C monitors go, very few have integrated batteries, and the few that do are only in the 15-inch range. Believe me I've scoured amazon, newegg, ebay, etc for under 15-inch options. There are some 13 inch options (no batteries), some 7-inch options (Rasberry Pi monitors) but pretty much everything under 13 inch is excessively thick, bulky, doesn't have a battery, and has garbage screen quality. A thin tablet with a hardware based connection to be a 2nd monitor and integrated battery does make this stand out in the crowd.

desertlap likes this.
  3. desertlap

@darkmagistric Thanks for that, always great to hear perspective from someone that makes good use of a feature like this.

From an engineering perspective, I'm actually surprised that somebody hasn't already done this as it's a much simpler thing to essentially provide a hardware bypass to drive the display versus a software/hardware hook up.

Of course the one benefit of something like Sidecar versus this is touch/pen support. This obviously doesn't have that. OTOH I shared this with one of my customers who does a lot of small group presentations and she thinks this might be perfect. And her first thought was what you pointed out too versus USBC displays which is it's own power supply.

She has found that if she does more than a couple in a day, with the USB powered ones, her laptop power is depleted well before the day is over.

I'm fairly certain she's going to buy one and I've asked her to let me know how it goes if she does.

PS: It actually might be possible to enable touch or pen support, though it would I think, require a USB cable as well. My engineer is looking at the HDMI spec to verify what is and isn't enabled over that port to verify and I've also reached out to Lenovo to get additional information.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If they could rig pen/touch over HDMI that would be an interesting trick.

With my Asus Zen Touch USB-C monitor, when I connect it via USB-C to my Zbook X2, the lone USB-C connection does the video, touch data, and power. However when I pair that monitor with my Surface Pro 5, since the Pro 5 lacks a USB-C port, I have to use the Zen Touch's mini HDMI port to connect to my Pro 5's mini-display port, (with an adapter in the middle) and only the video passes. Touch and Power would require the additional USB connection. And in the encompass of all of Wacom's display products, (and their competitor's like Huion, etc) baring USB-C, everything has to my knowledge been HDMI & USB.

But even if they can't, a thin display with battery would be useful enough for my purposes even without pen/touch. By chance do you know of the price/release date for this tablet. I've been googling Lenovo Yoga X tablet and I can't seem to find anything about this tablet except for the articles of it being used as a 2nd monitor.

5. desertlap

So several things, we are hearing q3 for official release of the tablet, price TBA

And the HDMI spec starting with 1.4 does have Ethernet support though it's not been used widely to date except for limited CEC applications. The only devices we have seen that do are in the business control device space. But if they were to implement that and provide software to use it (they would have to something both on the tablet and the host system most likely)

I'll post back here when/if I get any responses form Lenovo. Unlike Samsung we don't have an ongoing relationship so what I'll get is more uncertain.

6. desertlap

So this continues to inch toward release. With Lenovo , getting an actual product name is a major step forward towards release.

It for sure will be released in China, and likely at minimum will be able to be purchased outside of China through various importers through places like Amazon.

They are still evaluating other markets though we are hearing it's unlikely to come to the US officially anyway.

More info when/if I get it.

Lenovo YOGA Pad Pro Android tablet doubles as a portable monitor - SlashGear

7. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I’ve noticed that while Lenovo freely uses “Yoga” on products outside the US, for the US market they keep to the original usage as an indicator of a convertible device and rename it if marketed here. e.g.- The Yoga Slim 7 laptop (non-convertible) became Ideapad Slim 7 in the US. (Not that you could ever obtain the 4800U model… but I digress).

But the renaming seems kinda rare, so when I see a non-convertible “Yoga” I assume it won’t be coming to America.

8. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

9. desertlap

Officially available now through Lenovo USA and other channels such as Best Buy and Amazon

First review I've seen. They like it. We got a brief hands on with it awhile back but didn't test it.

One positive is that Lenovo conformed it will be getting Android 12 L right after official release
    Lenovo Yoga Tab 13 review | TechRadar

PS: Cases will be an issue I think. One of our customers is considering buying a handful, and will likely just use a laptop sleeve.

PPS: It also may have the loudest built in speakers I've heard in a tablet, albeit the sound is a bit on the thin side.

10. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I assume it doesn't have pen support?

Actually a device like this was done before, it's the 2013 Cintiq Companion Hybrid, which doubles as both a giant Android tablet and a drawing display. Because it was a niche specialized device, not much was known, but I'm pretty sure it use both HDMi and USB connection for display and pen touch input.

Edit: I remember the 13' Onyx Boox Max2 also had a HDMI connection to turn it into an E-ink second display. And it was a giant 3:4 Wacom EMR display but doesn't support pen in screen mode which is a shame. Wacom certainly has their stock of 3:4 13" digitizer panel, I wonder why no one make LCD for them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021