Lenovo stealth launches new Ryzen 4000U Flex 5 14" at Amazon and Best Buy

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Shogmaster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So this is intriguing. It looks like intel might be challenging one of Ryzen's strong spots.

What's also interesting is the benchmark scores which at first look are quite high, but look like they start to fall back when under more real world workloads.

No real mention of heat either. It will be interesting to test actual shipping systems

https://bestgamingpro.com/intel-tig...-amds-7nm-vega-igpus-in-graphics-performance/

dellaster and Marty like this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

AMDs been lowballing the GPU aspect of Renoir anyways. The highest they plan go is 8 CU at fairly anemic clocks of around 1700MHz. Even the desktop Renoir is only planning ofr 8 CUs for top unit, but with 2100 MHz clock. With enough pressure from Intel, they will crank the CU count and clocks for upcoming APUs.

3. Shogmaster

The design is very different.

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

So what I'm taking away from this is:
    • AMD are being a bit lazy regarding their iGPUs.
    • Intel and OEMs are up to something dodgy or the OEMs are just being lazy.
    • Lenovo's distribution chain is a mess, as usual.
    • Wacom AES/MPP is still not great and should probably have been left to antiquity.

5. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks like the color gamut for the display seems low compared to other laptops. I'm a bit ignorant on what this translate into, but for someone using this for digital painting but w/ little intention of printing, would this severley impact one's work? I'm comparing this against the HP Envy. It seems like the Envy has a better display, but uses MPP. Not sure if it's better to have better color accuracy but worse digitizer.. or the other way around.

6. Shogmaster

Once you paint you should correct color on an external monitor with both comps anyways.

wytn and jedah like this.
  7. Shogmaster

- AMD isn't motivated to put their best iGPU config into their mobile APUs at the moment. When that changes, they can simply crank the CU and clock speeds to compete.

- Wacom AES is artificially handicapped to protect their EMR/pro line business. No reason why they can't add ASIC to their board logic to accelerate tilt sensing, location updates to at least UD EMR level and provide more dense sensor grid options to ODMs at higher price.

AES was started as a compliant technology to retain Surface Pro 3 contract, and kept to replace UD EMR for parts business to further distinguish between their "PRO" EMR lines and "consumer" parts provided to other ODMs.

wytn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got the Costco one for my daughter. I have to say it is really a nice unit.
    Rant on:
    Now OEM stop licking Intel's Dupa and show that you can be independent. AMD has the better chip, start putting it in your highter end laptops/2n1's.
    Rant off.
    Really think how nice it would be to have the Ryzen in a nice Thinkpad Yoga. I know, I know I keep dreaming here.

9. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like the Ryzen Flex is not available on Costco anymore :(