Lenovo stealth launches new Ryzen 4000U Flex 5 14" at Amazon and Best Buy

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Shogmaster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I suspect Intel is doing some shady shenanigans to keep Renoir out of high end configs. Or just sh.tty marketing BS on OEMs part.

Tams likes this.
  2. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still keep hope for Renoir to makes it into the Thinkpad Yoga line. A guy can dream can't he?

Shogmaster likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

Costco Flex 5 finally got delivered. It still has soldered in RAM. 512GB SSD is full height 2280 Samsung M.2 unit. It did NOT come with a packed in pen!

Hard to see much difference in performance between 4700U and 4500U in CSP. It's too single threaded. Need to install something else to test the horsepower.

Marty likes this.
  4. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for letting us know about the pen.

Shogmaster likes this.
  5. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the follow-up. Which pen did you end up going with? I think you mentioned you ran into some problems using dual protocol before. Is there a favorite Wacom AES pen out there?

6. Shogmaster

Ive been making due with Dell pen for now to do test drive but something still feels off to me. 4500U version with pack in pen seems better.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

8. Shogmaster

Yep. They restocked few days ago. I expect it not to last if last time is as my indication...

BTW I figured out why the Dell pen doesn't draw as well as the pack in pen. The tip has slight rubber coating to it! The extra money Dell spent on the nib just ended up robbing few grams of initial activation force for the sake of "control". Ironically it robbed fine pressure control away from me...

9. Shogmaster

SOME MORE IMPORTANT DISCOVERIES!!

1. The packed in pen is AES 1.0 but the digitizer is AES 2.0!

2. The Wacom Pen app (from Feel driver) is the key to EVERYTHING.
    a. It controls whether the tilt is on or off
    b. It remembers EACH PEN and sets up the settings accordingly. e.g. if the pen is AES 1.0, tilt option is not even present
    c. It gives you Wintab drivers that best fit the digitizer and pen. Optimal pen results require the Feel driver installation.

3. Dell dual protocol AES 2,0 pen works properly with Wacom Pen app present, BUT if you enable tilt, the pen action is MUCH SLOWER.

This is in direct contrast to EMR Notebook 9 Pro (which I learned that you can turn on tilt in Microsoft Tablet API) which is still fast and fluid with tilt. With Microsoft API and EMR, you don't have to "activate" tilt globally. You can set up each brush with tilt expression on or off and will not effect speed of the brushed without tilt expression on.

But with Flex 5 14 and the Dell AES 2.0 pen, you must "enable" tilt globally with the Wacom Pen app for tilt to work in individual brushes. And when you "enable" tilt in CSP, all other brushes that don't even have tilt expression mysteriously slows down.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    thatcomicsguy, Marty and JoeS like this.
  10. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I couldn't quite tell from the video review, but is the pen that came w/ the Amazon version the Lenovo Active Pen 2? It looks like the one in the below video.