Lenovo stealth launches new Ryzen 4000U Flex 5 14" at Amazon and Best Buy

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Shogmaster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...6gb-ssd-platinum-gray/6406879.p?skuId=6406879

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...2gb-ssd-graphite-gray/6406890.p?skuId=6406890

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Proce...1&keywords=flex+5+4500u&qid=1591064880&sr=8-1

Best Buy has both 4500U and 4700U models while Amazon only has 4500U version, but Best Buy models are both stuck with 8GB of RAM ($630/$770) while the Amazon 4500U has 16GB onboard for $600. These are the newest Flex designs for 2020 with top facing speakers and 14" screens (same as 13.3" versions for Windows and Chrome OS).

Note that these are no where to be found at Lenovo's site. Only Intel 10th gen versions are listed there.

You can distinguish the Intel 2020 14" Flex 5 with AMD Ryzen versions via keyboards (Ryzen one has white stroke inside the keys and Intels are bare).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  2. Shogmaster

Oh wow this thing... New king of Penabled 2 in 1 value is here!

I just received the unit and only had time to open up the insides and install Clip Studio Paint and take it on a trial run for an hour.

Some quick facts:

1.You need T5 screw driver to get inside. A guitar pick or something similar soft and firm for prying it open is also recommended.

2. RAM is soldered on but PCIe SSD is available. Yes it has 16GB but they are 4 RAM chips soldered on. The 256GB PCIe SSD is a half height one (2240?), but replacing it with full size 2280 M.2 unit should be very easy.

3. The Wacom AES pen comes in the box. It's along with the power brick so be careful not to toss it by accident.

4. You can charge the unit with the USB-C port. It charged pretty fast with my 59W USB-C charger.

5. The screen is IPS. Unknown color accuracy and gamut but looks good by eye. Pretty bright looking too. 300ish nits?

6. KB is the usual Lenovo quality. Nice amount of travel. Good bounce.

7. Track pad is not glass but seems good enough.

8. The performance BLOWS AWAY my older Core i7 8550U Samsung with descrete GPU. Night and day. WOW. Watch the video of 2000px complex brush in quick circles action.

9. The diagonal pen jitter is nicely controlled. You can definitely see the difference when compared to Wacom EMR device like the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, but as far as AES digitizers go, this is the second best one for controlling jitter (The best was the 24" Lenovo AIO). Most people should be more than satisfied with the pen action unless you are too use to EMR or Apple pencil and you draw reeally slowly.

IN CONCLUSION, unless you need more than 16GB of RAM (like me), this is THE art tablet value of the decade. $600 for all this is ****ING AMAZING. Too bad I need more RAM or I'd definitely keep it. Maybe Lenovo will make one with more RAM as option for me...

[URL unfurl="true"]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wytn, thatcomicsguy, Marty and 3 others like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The amazon price of $600 for 16GB of ram models seems too good to be true. I could see that if the model was 2-3 generations old, but for a new product, that ram allotment is extremely generous given the price. Everything from Microsoft, Samsung, etc in excess of 8GB is almost always past $1000.

By chance do you know if its USB-C port is using the 3.1 or 3.2 standard?

4. Shogmaster

I don't have anything with the bandwidth to test beyond 3.1 for that port (I have SATA SSD is about it...).

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ask more in regards to extra monitor support. I know it has the HDMI port, but 3.1 Type C can push a single 4K Monitor at 60hz, where as the 3.2 can push two 4k Monitors. For my uses, I've been finding the potential max external monitor support a more important priority for me in assessing new devices.

6. Shogmaster

I see, I only have one 4KTV so I can't test that either.

7. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

When we say "reeally" slow, does that mean medium slow will be jitter free? Or would perhaps increasing the stabilization in CSP remove the jitter even on a super slow line (though not increase it to a point to make the response super slow)? I guess this question also applies to the SP7 which also seems to have improved line jitter this year. I ask because even on medium speed when using my Wacom Bamboo Ink on an HP laptop w/ MPP, the line is super wobbly, which makes inking a drawing kind of tough.

8. Shogmaster

Jitter is entirely due to how fine or coarse the digitizer grid is. The digitizer in the Flex 5 14" 4500u much finer than the MPP one in my HP Envy 17T for instance ( probably the most coarse digitizer grid I've experienced). Its fine enough that to achieve the jitter wobble on the picture, I used a straight edge and went about 3 inches in duration of about 5 seconds. It's about par with or better than15.6" C940 I borrowed from Best Buy last year.

"Medium" speed strokes should be less wobbly.

9. Shogmaster

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    crazycat likes this.
  10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Not entirely, there are plenty of devices that have bad wobble with one pen and almost no wobble with another pen - lots of Surface devices have a lot of wobble with the Surface pen versus almost no wobble the Raphael 520, lots of Lenovo devices with almost no wobble with AES 1.0 pens and a lot of wobble with Wacom Bamboo Ink Plus.

Having a denser grid does help reduce wobble, but there are definitely other ways to reduce it.