Lenovo S10-3 , S10-3t

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by gaidensensei, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Pen Pal - Newbie

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Seems Lenovo haven't heard about the HP TX2 (released a year ago) or Dell Latitiude XT (2.5 years ago) then, with their claim to be the first 'convertible' with a capacitive screen!

Look nice though and good price. Wonder how they run though, the reviewer wasn't impressed.

3. tbezesky

tbezesky Pen Pal - Newbie

Do the Idea Pads run all Windows 7 apps or do you need a Think pad for that?

4. tbezesky

tbezesky Pen Pal - Newbie

or specifically do the S10's run all windows 7 apps.

5. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It should run the basic stuff ok, but with the atom processor and low end graphics it certainly won't run everything (i.e. forget about watching hd videos and games made in the last 5 years). Also, you should probably note that it's being released with w7 starter and while it won't limit the apps you can run per se, it will reduce the number you can run at once.

If you were going to purchase you would probably want to allocate ~$150 to upgrade to home premium and boost your RAM to 2gb. With that in mind, the weight of the machine (nearly 6lbs so it weighs a little over a pound more than my M700 which is only slightly more powerful stock) and everything else I listed you might be better off buying a used tablet.

6. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

Uh, Lenovo claims 3bs for the S10-3t, a 6lb netbook would be odd.

It seems interesting, I'm only curious if it includes a stylus, if so it would be a good buy for a note taking netbook... As long as it an run Onenote.

Personally for me it's either this or a tm2t if the s10-3t is mediocre.

7. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're absolutely right... I just spent the last 5 minutes going over those sites trying to find out how I came up with that 6 lbs figure, but I just don't see it. Anyway, sorry for the confusion about the weight.

8. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

I've not yet seen/heard this claim but your comparison is not equivalent.

The S10 series are netbooks not notebooks/laptops like the machines you have cited. The only thing the S10-3t has in common with the HP tm2t/TX2/tx2500z/etc is tablet functionality.
    Comparing these products in the context that you have is like grouping all machines with integrated finger print readers into the same product category.

Regardless, if IBM has made such a claim then I believe Asus' eeePC t91 would better suit your argument.

9. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

I called Lenovo all last week trying to solve these same questions and obtain specs.
    Multiple sales rep's could not locate specs so I tried technical support.
    A "level-one" tech who, after putting me on hold for 5-10 minutes, claimed to have specifications that he could not email me had the following to say:

A stylus will ship with the machine but he was unsure if a slot was integrated in the body to hold it. He also said that the hard drive and battery were upgradeable but the memory was capped @ 2GB due to pine trail chipset.

Let us pray that the S10-3t, the best thing to emerge out of the most disappointing iPad launch will at a minimum run Onenote!

10. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, if it can't run onenote it's useless to me imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.