Lenovo offerings that have multiple drives

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Mr. Boosh, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I consider possibly "upgrading" from my Vaio Z Canvas to something else, I am focusing on options that have space for multiple drives. My ideal setup is an NVMe boot drive and a second drive, either M.2 or a normal 2.5" that can house a SATA storage drive.

I don't need the current generation, so it can be an older machine, but it seems like many only have a single drive now.

I'm also considering getting a larger machine this time (up to 15"), which seems to be where the multiple drive layout would exist.

Thanks guys.

2. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm also interested to see if Lenovo has an X1 solution with multiple drives - but apparently they don't! :(

3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme 15" has two accessible M.2 drive slots, one populated at purchase and one open.

Lisa @MobileTechReview opens the back to show all the user-serviceable goodies at 10:00+

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

5. Mr. Boosh

I'm guessing protocols still can't match, like NVMe + SATA, right? Because my ideal setup would be an NVMe boot drive and a 2TB large SATA m.2. I haven't looked in awhile but the large NVMe's are prohibitively expensive.

Still rocking my Z Canvas as a desktop and it's doing just fine!

6. Starlight5

@Mr. Boosh the m.2 2280 SSD slot is SATA/NVME, m.2 2242 slot is USB(WWAN)/NVME.

7. Mr. Boosh

But can you mix protocols? Thought I read somewhere it's either both NVMe or both SATA. Maybe that's just with the Z Canvas?

8. Starlight5

@Mr. Boosh it's for Z Canvas because of raid, with other machines you usually can mix all you want. I need to see the schematics to make sure, though - maybe there's a mux switch that cancels out usage of NVME drive in 2242 slot when a 2280 NVME drive is used instead of SATA. And since datasheets do not mention this, I'd really rather see the schematics (or at least a board view) before pulling the trigger on a Thinkpad with dual SSD setup in mind.