Lenovo Miix 720 with Thunderbolt 3 & Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Oct 28, 2016.

1. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Review is out
    Pretty nice device, 395 nits average and slightly better battery than SP4

2. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

The notebookcheck review does not give a lot of info about maintenance. They just say: "The Miix 720 cannot be opened by normal means."

I would like to know if upgrading the disk can be done easily, so I checked the Lenovo service website (https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com) and saw that the service guides for the MIIX 720 had been published (precise URL: https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1204&key=TGVuZw==). Changing the SSD seems to be feasible easily enough: one needs to remove the LCD unit before that, which seems to be a simple operation to perform.

sonichedgehog360 and kvoram like this.
  3. cutterline

I think it haven't changed much since miix 700 as they are pretty much share identical (or almost identical) frame and they use screw instead of magnanimous amount of glue. There are several video of miix 700 ssd upgrade which can be a reference before doing miix 720.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to say I am rather disappointed. It is good to see that Lenovo has deviated from their usually dim screens and put a brighter one in the Miix 720. But the review also shows that it is very glossy which eliminatesd the advantage of the high brightness.

More importantly, like the Miix 510, it suffers from significant throttling and a noisy fan. The Kaby Lake i7-powered Miix 720 gets beaten by the passively (!) cooled Skylake i5 of the Acer SA12.

IMHO, the Miix 720 is great on paper, but due to less than stellar engineering not so much in real use.

RT545, ATIVQ and dellaster like this.
  5. RT545

On the Lenovo service website, when looking at the Thermal Assembly Removal part, we can see that there is only one fan. Obviously, the lessons learned with the VAIO Z Canvas should be more followed: one fan rotating at high speed here versus three fans rotating at lower speed in the Canvas => more efficient heat dissipation in the Canvas with less noise.

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I've said it before, Lenovo should buy Vaio and grave-rob their thermal design. A 45-watt processor in a 12" form factor that doesn't get hot or noisy, why isn't the PC industry all over this? Why do noisy, overheating 12" devices still exist?!

At least the Yoga 720 has two fans and those foam shock absorbers so it should be quieter than the average device.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Who knows what the new Yoga 720 will be like, but I've got the Thinkpad Yoga 14, and it has a dedicated GPU, and the fans are whisper quiet. Lovely quiet device. So, it can be done by Lenovo, given enough room in the body.

ATIVQ likes this.
  8. cutterline

You sure want that to happen? Take a look on Moto lineups now after Lenovo's takeover and compare that to Google's era.

9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To be fair, the Canvas is around 60% thicker, so that gives Vaio a lot more room to play with the internal components layout. For example the Canvas' battery seems to have a significantly smaller footprint because it can be much thicker. The Canvas' battery is also next to the kickstand instead of on top of it, again giving it more room in the Z-axis. This gives more room for other components like the three fans in the X-Y axis.
    I doubt a 9mm thin Canvas would still have had three fans. Take a look at the Miix 720 internal layout below, Where would you put additional fans (the empty space in that pic is all battery)?

It's quite simple. Vaio's guideline was to make the device as thick as needed to cool it properly, whereas others try to make it as thin as possible.

Personally, I am in the camp that favors functional engineering over thinness, but we are sadly in the minority. :(

I have read another German review of the Miix 720. That review also complains about the fan noise. Apparently fan behavior was initially completely erratic, which got somewhat better after two BIOS updates, but it is still annoying and the fan runs audible even when the device is completely idle.

Looking at the thermal assembly, I am not surprised it runs hot and noisy. The heatsink is relatively small and there is no real cool-to-hot airflow with only one opening for the fan.
    While I am no engineer, IMHO it would have been better to put the fan at the corner and have it suck in additional cool air through vents on the side. I guess Lenovo was trying to keep the assembly across the Miix 5xx/7xx line as similar/cost-efficient as possible.

Miix 720:
    [​IMG]

Vaio Z Canvas:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Selofain, ATIVQ and RT545 like this.
  10. RT545

Agreed with that. Better thicker if this can help efficient cooling. Leave the thinner situation to the less powerful tablets (until supplementary progresses are done on the CPUs TDPs). Z Canvas is really the model to follow for now (and there should be and SD slot also, not a micro SD).

sonichedgehog360 and kvoram like this.