Lenovo Miix 720 with Thunderbolt 3 & Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Oct 28, 2016.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  2. kvoram

FYI, I just saw that the Miix 720 passed FCC certification a couple days ago, so one step closer to release in the US.

Here in Europe, some retailers already list it as "in stock".

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  3. klabc

klabc Pen Pal - Newbie

miix 720(known as miix5 pro in China)has been in sale for several months in China, and this is my test drawing video with it :

if you have any questions about miix 720, leave words below.

thatcomicsguy and kvoram like this.
  4. kvoram

@klabc Welcome here and thanks for the video.

Are you using the new Lenovo Active Pen 2? If so, do you have any experience with previous Wacom AES pens and find any differences in using it?

Besides some thoughts on the pen experience, what are your opinions of the performance and especially the fan noise of the Miix 720?
    For the almost identical Miix 510 (Miix 5 in China, I think) there are reports of noisy fans and heavy throttling.

5. klabc

klabc Pen Pal - Newbie

@kvoram The new Lenovo active pen 2 only appeared in the model that has I7+16GB RAM+1TB SSD in China, and it is in sell in lenovo store for about 2000USD. So now I only have active pen1, but this pen design is horrible which I can't look clear of the nib, So I bought DELL PN655W for drawing in this video.
    It is my first taste of Wacom ES, according my experience, this is 3 devices I compared:
    0310.jpg 微信截图_20170309164801.png 微信截图_20170310001112.png

and I don't have much experience with cintiq EMR or earlier ES.
    The fan noise is somthing different from people, for me, it is quite ok in most of time, only 35db in 15cm. But for someone who hopes tablet be quite all the time, it will make them disappoint. I have heard someone returned their tablets just because of that.

ATIVQ, bloodycape, Bronsky and 3 others like this.
  6. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

@kvoram: french test here (http://www.lesnumeriques.com/ordinateur-portable/lenovo-miix-720-p36859/test.html) that says that it remains cool enough after one hour stress test with Unigine Heaven, and noise remaining under 37,5 dB. They do not seem to have evaluated throttling, however.

For the battery life, they measured 4h08 with netflix streaming.

Waiting for the Notebookcheck tests!

kvoram likes this.
  7. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried using pen 2 on your device? I think it should be compatible unless Lenovo, unexpectedly, being diligent changing stylus chip just for the most expensive model. For example, on HK page, it is mentioned that pen 1 for 1st wave and pen 2 for 2nd wave, SG page only mentioned pen without number, German page mentioned pen 2. It's kinda weird that they pull this kind of thing

Another curious question, has anybody tried using the TB with eGPU in China? I'd like to know whether it uses 2 or 4 (full) PCIe lanes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. klabc

klabc Pen Pal - Newbie

According to Lenovo China stuff, the active pen2 can be used in miix5 pro no matter it is sold in 2016 or 2017, and I think it depends on chips in tablet,not in pen.
    There is someone has tested egpu with akitio node and razer core, but there isn't report about lanes. I have asked them for further more info about it,so please wait:D.

ATIVQ and cutterline like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Looks like the typical quality spread we've come to expect.

Wacom EMR = Good.
    Wacom AES = Nearly Good.
    N-Trig = Nearly Terrible.

10. klabc

klabc Pen Pal - Newbie

2017-03-13_103458.png
    it shows it should be 4 lanes
    @cutterline

cutterline likes this.