Lenovo Miix 720 with Thunderbolt 3 & Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

JoeS and kvoram like this.
  2. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

This is Lenovo to that we are talking about.

That is the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeS and kvoram like this.
  3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What is interesting, are some other specs:

- 12" 2880x1920 screen, that makes the resolution the same as on the Asus Transformer 3 Pro, though that one has 12.6"
    - up to 1TB PCIe SSD, no SATA at all
    - up to 16GB RAM
    - 1x Thunderbolt 3, plus 1x USB3.0 Type-A and 1x USB2.0 Type -A
    - since it uses HD620 graphics, this means Intel Core i7-7500U, i5-7200U, Core i3-7100U
    - due to the more powerful Core i-U CPU, it is not fanless
    - they got rid of that crude, proprietary charging port, now using USB-C.

Also new, the Lenovo Active Pen 2, with 4096 pressure levels, which won't be available at the start.

28-10-2016 17-14-13.jpg 28-10-2016 17-17-15.jpg 28-10-2016 17-24-52.jpg 28-10-2016 17-25-58.jpg 28-10-2016 18-05-09.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    darkmagistric, Tor and Marty like this.
  4. Knight1248

Knight1248 Pen Pal - Newbie

all of a sudden, there are so many 2-in-1 from lenovo.....
    the pen seems promising

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is a really nice find, @ibmthink ! Any guess when the 720 will make it to market?

I thought the Active Pen 2 might be the fabled Wacom dual protocol pen in disguise (same 4,096 pressure levels) but there's no mention of tilt recognition.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It has a kickstand! Do we know if it also has a solid keyboard dock with true laptop mode? And can we dock using thunderbolt for simultaneous charging and connecting to displays? And most importantly, does it have a ThinkPad relative?

7. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure, honestly. I am a bit confused by Lenovos release there, with the 710 and the 720 seemingly being released at the same time. 710 is more like a small update to the 700, while the 720 is completely different. If they named the Miix 720 as the Miix 910, that would have made more sense maybe.

I guess we will learn it soon enough.

8. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lack of magnetic pen attachment on this form factor from Lenovo and Asus is really sad. I can't be the only one who misses this feature can I? It's consolation for pen-silo-or-bust types.

Right there's that cheap pen loop with adhesive option. \

I use this tablet holding arm/stand for my surface pro 3 and use it on a bed or couch with a wireless keyboard as my main computer/movie entertainment so power matters- eventually I'll want to replace my SP3 for a higher spec'd tablet maybe a SP4 with close to maxed out specs someday.

A full spec'd SP4 is pretty expensive and I'm trying to figure out how you can get the most power in a tablet + USB type A full sized + magnetic pen. Is there a better option than a fully spec'd SP4 for this? SP3 is cheaper but one side of it gets hot- I'm wondering if better heat spreading on the SP4 would result in better performance than a fully spec'd out SP3. Would it?

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This also puts the X1 Tablet in a weird spot, with both the Miix 510 and the Miix 720 having more CPU power than the flagship 2-in-1.

I would like to know how well the X1 Tablet sells. It was a promising development, with a failed execution. Even here interest has died down. It seemed to me like they didn't think that one through.

I really wish though that they had put a second USB-Type C port on the Miix 720 with USB-Power Delivery and DIsplayPort Alt Mode instead of that second USB 2.0 Type-A port.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    alextrela182 likes this.