Lenovo Miix 630, WOA, SD835 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 8, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, the article cites 1920x1080 for the screen, vanilla 1080p. 3:2 would improve it a lot, I agree!

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

dellaster likes this.
  3. dellaster

4. dellaster

I really wish these tech journalists would be clear about the WOA Windows emulation. That article reads: "Due to the need for an emulation layer to run traditional desktop apps, the first generation of Windows 10 on ARM devices don't quite match their Intel counterparts in terms of performance..."

That makes it sound as if you can run all your Windows applications, just a wee bit slower, when in fact it's only 32-bit Windows applications that will be emulated (poorly). 64-bit Windows (x64) applications will never run in WOA emulation. When they say 64-bit apps will be supported in the future they mean ARM64 apps.

So if you buy a Sony camera, say, and want to process RAW with the free Sony-subsidized Capture One Pro (Express for Sony), an exceptional, cutting edge x64 application, you're forever out of luck with WOA. Ditto with the wonderful x64 Affinity Photo application which would otherwise run nicely on the SD835 chip (the iPad Pro runs it well). And most people won't realize that until they try because WOA articles rarely spell it out (I've only seen Thurrott write about it). I suspect most of the writers don't know the facts.

/rant

Marty and Bronsky like this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Ouch that is pricey, even compared to the Chromebooks with similar hardware(almost twice as much).

6. JoeS

dellaster likes this.
  7. dellaster

JoeS likes this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Why is the kickstand on the keyboard and not on the tablet? That is odd design choice seeing as other Miix 2in1 have it on the tablet.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

That actually makes some sense, given that they're virtually identical devices.

The price drop does make it more competitive with something like the Surface Go, at least for users that need a pen and long battery life.

This device: $800 for 4GB/128GB with keyboard and pen (discounted price) with LTE
    Surface go: $750 for 8GB/128GB with keyboard and pen

I expect the Go will have way better performance (and it will run x64 software) but at least it's getting to the point where people will have to think about what they value most. A larger screen AND longer battery life is pretty attractive.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  10. JoeS