Lenovo LT1423p Review / Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oranjoose, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

I placed order with pcsuperstore at the beginning of Feb., and placed order with Lenovo US several weeks ago. Hopefully I can get it not too later.
    Anyway, did you try the eraser? Does it work?

2. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a reason it is not available anywhere, and that is because it does not work. Save your sanity and cancel your orders before you go through the h*ll I did trying to get that thing to work.

3. testplayer

But if the eraser works then I save much more money from buying a heavy non-multi-touch cintiq 13HD or an even more expensive cintiq hybrid. By the way, I remember that you did mention that you can get the eraser work, right? How did you do that? Please share your experience, it will save many of us a lot of money. Thanks.

4. Industrial Designer

Industrial Designer Pen Pal - Newbie

I will check tonight. The pen that comes with the monitor surely looks like it doesn't have an eraser. I will see if my X61 pen(which has an erasure feature) works with it. I never use the pens erasure because it's usually easier and more accurate to use the nib. I guess for Onenote and erasure is very important.

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Tried my other styli with eraser tips, with and without the Wacom Feel driver (latest version) on the 1423p.

Nope, eraser isn't working, not even as a mouse.

6. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

I can confirm the eraser worked on my Surface Pro 2, but it was only for a fleeting moment before the screen would disconnect and reconnect and disconnected and reconnect perpetually until I nearly threw it out.

7. testplayer

So it does work in wired mode? Did you have to install special drivers or even modify them by hand? Please share your experiences, we all appreciate it! Thanks.

8. Industrial Designer

Just to confirm, the erasure does not work with my Wacom pen(s) either. It seems to be disabled on this monitor even different drivers.

Pressure curve: I spent about 4 hour last night digging deep into the driver and tweaking the pressure curve. In short I'm very disappointed. There seems to be no way to get the pressure curve on par with any of the tablet PC's or Cintiq's I've owned. For example, toggling the pressure curve to 'firm' allows you to draw with a little more weight but once it hits a medium weight threshold it seems to skip the levels of transition and suddenly gets very thick. Removing Wacom driver actually seems to make the pen work a little better, but it's still WAY too sensitive to weight. You have to draw extremely light and vary the pressure in a light way to get smooth transitions. It feels more like 20 levels of pressure even though the driver has 259 levels. I'm starting to think there's something going on in the hardware here that is not customizable. What a shame. This is one of the nicest industrial designs I have seen in a while, but it's crippled by a pressure curve that transitions too quickly.

Since I was going to use this solely for drawing, I will probably be returning mine.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  9. oranjoose

oranjoose Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a shame. I spoke with Wacom at the Game Developers Conference last week and they said that the eraser feature is baked into it, but it is up to Lenovo whether or not they enable it.

I've been very pleased with the device as an extremely portable secondary monitor with great viewing angles. I carry it around pretty much anywhere I go with my laptop, and it's really pulled through in many cases. The quality is great, but the digitizer has been problematic as we have discussed here. There might be something yet to be done, but the lack of support and sales makes me nervous about that.

10. Industrial Designer

As a portable, lightweight monitor you can throw in your bag and power directly from your laptop there's nothing like it! The design of the case and the magnesium bracket than swings out from the monitor are all well thought out. The stand is solid as a rock. It's literally the perfect size/weight for sketching. It truly makes my brain hurt why they went this far with it and then crippled the erasure and pen sensitivity. It also boggles me why they don't offer MAC drivers on their website. Perhaps they will offer a firmware in the future that will fix the issues or maybe someone with some 'know how' can dig into it and unlock the options in the firmware. I bet you the Wacom pressure curve is locked down inside the firmware. I know most monitor have a code or a sequence of buttons you can press to enter into the service menu. Perhaps there's hope. I will buy it again if the issues can be fixed, it's a great piece of hardware.