Lenovo LT1423p Review / Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oranjoose, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oranjoose

oranjoose Pen Pal - Newbie

@axr

No, please do test out the eraser on the lt1423p. I initiated that reply quoting rpo stating that he/she confirmed the eraser working on the device. The datum you can bring to the table will help determine the scope of the eraser issue.

Secondly, to clarify, it was Wacom support—not Lenovo—that told me that it appears to be a hardware limitation, based on a diagnostic report.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I find the eraser issue kind of odd....aside from renaming the hardware ID for the feel it branding crap.....the Lt1423p's digitizer is the exact same digitizer used in every Tablet PC and Android tablet for over a decade now....I mean when Wacom sells their UD digitizer sensor boards...outside of different sizes....the sensor boards are exactly the same. Even Samsung who bought part of Wacom still receives the exact same tech for its S-pen as any other vendor buying the sensor board.......so if its the exact same tech...there shouldn't be any reason for the eraser not to work. Currently Lenovo is also purchasing wacoms Sensor Boards in 4 different sizes. 10.1 for the TPT2, 11.6 for the Helix, 12.5 for the Yoga2, & 13.3 for the Lt1423p, and the Eraser works fine on all the tablets pcs....it would be an odd choice to give different hardware for just one of the sizes.........The only reason I can see it not working......is if they deliberately didn't want it to.

The Lt1423p is the first of its kind....not being a Tablet PC...its the first 3rd party device that can compete with a Cintiq using the UD digitize in strictly a display monitor.

Shog was always theorizing that it was Wacom behind the Lt1423p's near year long delay........couple that with the eraser not working.....the pressure sensitivity being well gimped......Perhaps Lenvovo had to make a deal with the Wacom devil to purposely handicap the digitizer....to take its pen performance to the absolute lowest level to prevent it from posing any remote competition to a Cintiq.

Just my theory anyway

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    crashsuit likes this.
  3. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone

My wireless unit arrived yesterday.

Setup was ... challenging .... but I have got the thing going with the wired connection on both my Surface Pro 2, Dell Venue Pro 8 and mac mini. I can't get the wireless to stay connected. On both machines the Lenovo connection utility find the monitor and it connects, but after 15 seconds or so it disconnects again. After a few tries the connection utility gives up. I'm using the included WiFi dongle because trying to use the internal WiFi card doesn't seem to get a connection at all.

Has anyone got this to work wirelessly? I'm really hoping wireless mode works because I love having the big tablet pc screen.

To get the thing to work using the wired connection I had to:
    1. Download the latest (v 7.5) display link drivers from the DisplayLink website and run the installer.
    2. Run the displaylink installer and connect the monitor when it starts looking for displays. Have the monitor plugged in with the Y cable, with one connector in the SurfacePro power brick and the other in the surface.
    3. As the displaylink installer started looking for the monitor press the middle button on the monitor to wake it up from sleep!
    This got the thing detected and working!
    4. Then I installed the Lenovo drivers that were on the device.

When I tried to install the Lenovo drivers before the display link ones the install process could never find the display.

The monitor is wonderful. A big step up from the LT1421 which I always found too washed out to be usable. Its bright and clear and will turn my surface or little dell into a full sized laptops when I am working on long documents or mindmaps. It will be fantastic - if I can get the wireless to work.

4. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you install any Wacom driver? Does the eraser work in OneNote or OneNote Metro App?

5. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

The wireless display on this monitor simply does not work. It will not stay connected for more than 15 seconds at a time. I went through 4 units and all exhibited the same issue on every machine I tested them. Simply put, save your money until something that actually works comes along.

Also, Lenovo does NOT support the monitor. Their support reps will begin stammering once you tell them you are calling about a wireless monitor since they do not even know it exists. I spent at least a dozen hours dealing with them, and 90% of the time was explaining what the product was since it is not listed in their support system. Just stay away from this if you want to keep your sanity.

6. oranjoose

testplayer, you ask just what I wanted to ask.

@ecoeco, does your Surface Pro 2 pen's eraser work on the LT1423p?

I'm very curious to know this.

7. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine did, but it was sending the inputs to my SP2's screen. I couldn't keep the screen connected long enough to diagnose why that was happening, but also do not know where you would even change a setting like that.

8. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie

My unit works fine when connected by the cable. I have been telling the surface to shut down its own display and show only the picture on the LT1423P. Occasionally the monitor blanks out and then reconnects, which is becoming annoying . I use office apps and the web mainly.

Sorry I can't test the eraser as I managed to loose the Surface pen within a couple of weeks of buying the unit. I use a Wacom Feel Carbon stylus and it works fine on the monitor. As others have commented, the drop down to the lower resolution of the monitor feels like a step backwards but the nice big canvas to write on makes up for this for me. The Wacom stylus works identically to the Surface so I would be very surprised if the eraser from the Surface Pen didn't work.

I'm still in two minds about keeping the unit as the wireless looks like its not going to work and the 11inch Sony Tap machine is around the same cost and will give me most of the screen benefits. For the price the monitor just doesn't feel like its quite there.

9. oranjoose

Thank you for the info.

*Sigh", since the Wacom feel carbon pen doesn't have an eraser, the suspense continues...

PS: If ever chance upon a stylus with an eraser, please tell us if it works. Bonus points if it has a second sideswitch.

10. crashsuit

crashsuit Pen Pal - Newbie

If this helps anyone, the Gateway C120x/E155C Wacom stylus is on eBay for $15-$20 shipped. It's a 3/4-size stylus with an eraser and a single side switch. I bought one for my kids to use with their HP TX2, but since its pressure curve is so nice, I steal it all the time to use with my C140x.