Lenovo LT1423p Review / Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oranjoose, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niftytablets

niftytablets Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds a lot like what I've run into--lots of lag/delay (though I've not checked the CPU utilization). If I try to draw too quickly it "straitens" my curves as if it's only registering the beginning, end and a few (if any) points in between (though Mischief works fine with my mouse on main screen instead of LT1423p).

Which version of Windows are you using, and which Wacom driver version? I'm on Win7 x64 with these drivers:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...eview-owners-thread.60069/page-16#post-450925

I have issues with most of the drawing software I've tried though (eg, http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...eview-owners-thread.60069/page-15#post-450740 ), so I've wondered if it just doesn't work very well with Win7.

2. ID01

ID01 Pen Pal - Newbie

No I use Windows 10 x64 right now. It does similar to what you said.

I'm thinking it might be due to having too many monitors, but this device technically use it's own graphic card. So I'm not sure.

3. niftytablets

What other programs have you tried (eg, Autodesk Sketchbook, Photoshop, MyPaint [ http://mypaint.intilinux.com ], Krita [ https://krita.org ], etc.)? I have issues with all of those (though more in the form of they won't, or rarely, draw at all).

4. ID01

ID01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried Sketchbook and Mischief, both very slow.

Photoshop CC works initially but slow down after a bit.

I will try Mypaint and Krita and report in later.

Do you know one that work without any issue I can try it on?

5. niftytablets

Thanks for that info! With any of those other apps 99% of the time I can't get them to draw anything at all, so it is interesting that you are getting some response (albeit, a laggy one).

ArtRage (https://www.artrage.com) is the only program that works consistently fine for me (I'm just using the free/demo version).

6. ID01

ID01 Pen Pal - Newbie

That is really odd. I wonder if it is a driver issue now. I think I will try reinstall it or try another computer to see if the issue persist.

7. niftytablets

Let me know what you find. My guess has been that perhaps something in the current Wacom driver is causing problems with certain configurations. But that is purely a guess.

8. ID01

ID01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Found this to have fixed it completely, at least in sketchbook

https://social.technet.microsoft.co.../solved-wacom-tablet-lag-in-some-applications

After disable those two check mark, Drawing in Sketchbook and PS CC is now seemingly completely lag free with pressure sensitivity working perfectly in Windows 10. It works even when I plug it into USB2, as USB3 apparently doesn't really needed for the graphic.

This didn't work in mischef though. It is still very laggy, but it is laggy in Mischef even if I use the mouse to draw long as the drawing area is on the LT1423p. Kinda odd.

Good luck with yours I hope!

9. niftytablets

Thanks for that!! I had previously disabled Flicks, but disabling "press and hold for right clicking" did make a significant difference (at least temporarily). I was able to get Sketchbook, Photoshop CS6, Krita, and MyPaint to all work with pressure sensitivity, which was awesome. Like yourself, Mishief still behaved poorly.

But unfortunately it didn't last. I have a separate issue (which has been happening prior to the above change) where the LT1423p will suddenly go to "sleep" (Power Saving Mode), but then the pen and touching will interact with things on the main monitor (so the LT1423p just acts like a regular Wacom at this point, with no image displayed on it). I usually unplug it and plug it back in when this happens, which is annoying of course.

In this particular instance, whatever goes wrong in the above then broke what was working with the fix you posted. So then I tried restarting the Wacom service (which was mentioned in a Youtube video linked to in the post you shared), and that restored use of the pen in the problem apps, but I lost pressure sensitivity.

However, I then tried unplugging the LT1423p, restarting the Wacom service, plugging the LT1423p back in, and that restored correct functionality (including pressure sensitivity) to the apps that were working! :)

I've also seen folks mention that disabling the Tablet PC Input Service can help things too, though I've not yet seen any difference from that.

The above progress though gives me hope that we may yet figure out what is causing trouble for Mischief. Perhaps there is another service that is causing problems?

I'll let you all know if I discover anything else.

10. usehernames

usehernames Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure if anyone still uses or owns an LT1423p, but I thought I should ask here because Lenovo doesn't seem to help with driver issues.

I'm trying to make my LT1423p (wired) work with proper pressure sensitivity on the latest Windows 10. The Windows 10 drivers on Lenovo's support page won't connect to the LT1423p as a display. The newest Displaylink drivers on Displaylink's website, on the other hand, does make the tablet work again. Unfortunately, when trying to get pressure working, the newest Wacom Feel Drivers (7.3.4-8) causes pen input to completely stop working (no hover, no touch). I had to find drivers 7.3.1-7 or below to get pressure working again.

However, no matter what working drivers I install, the pen pressure always skips a majority of the medium range, especially when set to firm sensitivity. I know the pressure curve is pretty much the main issue with this tablet, but I found the pressure to work much better for Windows 10 (versions from 2015), Windows 8, and Windows 7. @NigelNowhere mentioned that using the Displaylink cleaner app and installing stock drivers on the LT1423p's drive is what fixed the pressure sensitivity. The later Windows 10 2016 version updates, however, causes the stock installer to crash from incompatibility. Not even setting Windows 10 in compatibility mode for Windows 8 and 7 could make the installer work.

The only thing I've yet to try is to try is use a beefier power source for the power-only USB on the USB 3.0 splitter. I'm not sure if it the power supply affects pressure, but I currently can only use the tablet consistently at 90 brightness. For some reason, the tablet doesn't work with my laptop (MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970m), unless connected to the supercharge port without the splitter. With that port, I receive a warning message (tells me to use two usb ports) at 20 brightness and then brightness immediately goes to 0. When the splitter is connected to two regular usb 3.0 ports on my laptop, the tablet constantly blinks. When connected to my 20W USB 3.0 hub with the splitter, the tablet works well with a max of 85 brightness before getting the warning message. Weirdly, without the splitter on my 20W hub, the tablet can go up to 97 brightness before the warning message appears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.