Lenovo LT1423p Review / Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oranjoose, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just got one of these in to review. I'm really liking it so far. Setup was a little finicky, but then I've only got penabled peecees here so it makes sense that the two sets of drivers are a little confused. I really wanted to attach the monitor to one of my two MacBook Pros, but the calibration is so far off it's scary. I'm right to think there's no fix for that, correct?

Back to Windows, I got the LT1423p to play nicely with the Thinkpad Yoga (they actually look like they were meant for each other). Manga Studio and Photoshop run okay, but Sketchbook Pro is a mess. Strokes are way off from pen and elongated. Anyone else seeing this?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In regards to using with a Macbook, the general Consequences is that calibration is a nightmare, and I do believe someone a few months back was able to Confirm that the Axitron Modbook Drivers didn't help at all. But feel free to give it a go, maybe you'll have better luck, here's the link for the Drivers.

Axiotron's Modbook Service & Support | EMCS

But out of curiosity..is the USB output on the Yoga powerful enough to run the Lt1423p? The Power requirement/issues more or less killed this device in my eyes. Even a Surface Pro 2 was only able to run it at the lowest brightness setting.

3. surfaceproartist

The LT1423p is a bit darker, but not distractingly so. Here's a snapshot of the monitor next to the Thinkpad Yoga.

IMG_2404.jpg

4. oranjoose

oranjoose Pen Pal - Newbie

When you say you "got one of these in to review," do you mean that Lenovo sent you one? Is this evidence that they are finally rolling this out more widely and are planning on marketing it? It came out last October, I think.

The drivers have been a total mess for me. The new Wacom feel drivers breaks all reasonable functionality with the device on my Ativ Book 8 laptop. No matter what I did to install, uninstall, clear registries, deep driver configs, and everything, the new drivers break functionality.

Without the Wacom feel drivers, the tablet works fine, but only has pressure sensitivity in OneNote, and maybe a few others.

5. surfaceproartist

I wish. No, I bought one on impulse to review, figuring I would return it if it sucked. But I'm liking it so much, I guess I'll just add it to my stockpile. (I really need to do a fire sale).

Bummer about the ATIV and the feel drivers.

6. surfaceproartist

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Finally a positive (ish) review! Good to hear it's not all hell and brimstone with this thing.

My biggest question which you didn't cover:

Can you jump back and forth using the same pen on both your Yoga screen and the LT1423p while its connected to the Yoga? Essentially extending the penabled surface by 2X?? I can do this with a Cintiq 15x on my T902 when at the desk, but the resolution and screen are terrible. If the LT1423p can do the same but at the same size and res as my T902 screen, I may have a winner for when I need more drawing realestate at my desk. The fact they use the same drivers is kind of amazing. Would you be able post a short video of drawing on both screens?

Also, many have complained about very poor pressure curve, like a driver issue which gimps the experience... You didn't mention it. Does it feel any different to the Yoga when drawing lines?
    Does pressure drop out often?

8. surfaceproartist

Yes, the pen works on both screens, but I haven't tested the configuration you're imagining because I'd have to put the Yoga into tablet mode, losing access to the physical keyboard. The Yoga screen is very springy if you try to draw on it while in laptop mode. I guess for demonstration purposes, I could support it with my free hand.

Because I use Manga Studio and Frenden's brushes, I never felt an issue with the pressure curve. It feels better to me than drawing on the Yoga. Perhaps previous reviewers were experiencing driver issues?

Sketchbook Pro surprisingly doesn't like this configuration. All strokes are offset and elongated.

I'm working on a setup to facilitate video recording. I'll hopefully be able to record some quick run-through vids soon.

9. surfaceproartist

I just tested...you can span a drawing across the two screens and draw on both sides in Manga Studio. Sketchbook Pro too, but for some reason it doesn't like the Thinkvision digitizer.

Since the two screens are different sizes and different resolutions, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where this might be useful.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

It's the exact same size and resolution as the T902 screen!

Still, why is it hard to imagine that setup with your Yoga? It's like having a spare monitor set up to the side for reference and menus, but you don't need to switch to a mouse whenever you want to interact with your support screen, you just use the pen! Different res and size shouldn't really effect its usefulness as extra real estate during animation or painting. You could have your entire Yoga screen for drawing/animating and throw all the menus and stuff on the other screen.

Now I'm seriously considering getting one to replace my 15x....