Lenovo LT1423p Review / Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oranjoose, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damesqlo

damesqlo Pen Pal - Newbie

hello guys, first than anything, sorry for my english... so here we go...

I've been testing (alot) the Lenovo LT1423p, so i will post some videos about my testings, based on Zbrush, Paint Tool SAI, sketch book Pro and Photshop CC.

My Problem:
    The last 2 days the digitizer did some weird jagged lines, it happend in 2 computers and for a short amount of time till i reset one of them, it works good now, beside that today i lost the pen connection, the monitor its perfect but i lose the pen interaction, the way to make it work again is to setup (using the mouse of course) the gesture options on the system tray.

[​IMG]

Did this happen to someone else?

I rate the device 7/10, the IPS screen looks great, you could see some little backlitgh only on black screen (as usual on all the monitors this days but minimun), mine have a red pixel (hot pixel) but is not a problem because is barely noticeable and doesnt bother at all.

The resolution 1600x900 looks great, the buttons size on UI is ideal (personal opinion)

Pressure/Control: As someone post (Video included) on this thread the default pressure curve is not good, it sudenly turns to the max, but this doesnt happend in the same way in all the softwares, Photoshop CC does a better pressure control compared to Paint Tool SAI.

I think the 256 pressure levels must not be a problem, but the pen or Digitizer technology doesnt is not acurate in terms of pressure control, i did a comparation with my old 13 years old wacom graphire model ET-4005-U that have 512 pressure levels, and there is A LOT of diference, but im sure is not about the levels, i think it may be because the pen or the technology is not capable to messure correctly.

About messure the pressure, i did notice that i can draw even if i dont touch the screen with the pen, just hovering it over the screen, even more, the line react if a hover the screen far or closer, just like if i were doing some pressure over the screen. So i wonder what kind of tech is this? im not touching the screen with tip but i can write and see the pressure just hovering the pen over the screen??? (i will post a video about this). The pen "works correctly" when you touch the screen with the tip of the pen, but is hard to have pressure control as i said before.

I notice it have a little initial lag is not a problems unless you were picky or use zbrush (i will show a vid of it) this lag makes almost impossible or not so confortable to do fast strokes over the sculpt.

My concern is to keep it or give it back to Amazon, im not sure if to get the cintiq 13hd or just get nothing, i dont find videos about accuracy on the cintiq, 1080p on 13" could be too much resolution (tiny UI-buttons)

I wonder if there is a pen able to do a better pressure control, i have the S-Pen but even it have a better medium pressure control and better accuracy between the tip and cursor, its not good at low pressure and cause more initial stroke lag (at least it seems to me) and it works worst on the edges of the screen.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Can anyone tell me the difference in thickness between the wireless and wired-only version? Does battery pack protrude at all on the wireless version, or is the back completely flat?

Thanks

3. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

The battery pack makes the wireless version's back flat, whereas the wired version is not flat due to the lack of battery pack.

Marty likes this.
  4. testplayer

Hi rpo,

Did you do some special settings to make the eraser work? I think you can change the settings in control panel's "Tablet PC settings" to set up the Lt1423p as a penabled screen and touch screen, so that your input will not be sent to the main screen.

I installed the wacom feel driver. But no luck again, when I move the eraser close enough to the screen, the motion cannot be recognized at all, and when I press the second side button of my Fujitsu Lifebook's stylus, the cursor point simply dissappears on screen. I suspect that lenovo do something to restrict the digitizer's ability, or maybe they just used a restricted version of digitizer, or there is something wrong with the displaylink driver such that the digitizer on the external screen cannot be fully and properly recognized by windows.

5. Marty

Thank you test, could I also ask was there any noticeable weight or balance difference when holding both?

6. testplayer

7. Marty

Thanks test, I'm assuming since the battery is a sheet, the extra 1lb is distributed evenly. Still, 2.86 lb is heavier than my EP121!

Considering that Lenovo can build the X1 Carbon at only 2.8 lb while maintaining durability, the weight of the LT1423p strikes me as quite high. It seems accommodating a digitizer is quite a tricky task...

8. ctmac10

ctmac10 Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently got LT1423p wired version (not wireless due to weight consideration). Everything is running good except one thing.

During daytime when temperature reaches to >35°C the monitor develops hotspots in two places. One is upper right corner and another is the lower part where lenovo logo is. I am running on USB 2.0 power.

My request to other owners is that-can they verify it to be a normal behavior. I can understand the heating of upper right corner (in landscape mode) but the lower part heating or may I say overheating seems to be abnormal. It happens at lower temperatures too.-I can feel the heat in 25°c ambient temperature. It is bit uncomfortable to put my hand there.

How do you people feel the lenovo logo 'is it cool, warm or hot. Also specify your ambient temperature.

This will help me decide whether my unit is defective or not.
    Thanks.

9. oranjoose

oranjoose Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sorry to report that there's a fair amount of certainty that the eraser and second side-switch do not work on this device. I have the same unit, and the same stylus, and have the exact same behavior you report. This was further confirmed by others in this thread, as well as a customer support representative that I had an email conversation with, though she was mostly speculating since she did not have a device to test on. I spoke with Wacom representatives in person and they claimed that the device has the functionality built in, but it is up to Lenovo as to whether or not to enable it.

I don't know if this is something that can be fixed in a driver released by Lenovo, or if it is baked into the firmware of the device. Either way, it's not looking like Lenovo is doing much to support the product. =/

10. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I can tell, they're not really putting any marketing dollars for the product anywhere. It's not even mentioned on their Facebook pages. They probably manufactured a bunch of them, then eventually figured out that it's not going to be popular enough to warrant more attention or to devote energy in solving the current hardware/software issues.