Lenovo LT1423p Review / Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oranjoose, Dec 14, 2013.

1. oranjoose

oranjoose Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I've made a simple youtube review of the Lenovo LT1423p:

[video=youtube_share;vx_b1Lu5oi4]http://youtu.be/vx_b1Lu5oi4[/video]

I haven't tested the lt1423p on a wacom-enabled tablet pc yet, but it seems Commander Wolf in this post has:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hardware/54703-lenovo-thinkvision-lt1423-touch-stylus-wireless-monitor-12.html#post360535

I haven't tried this on a Mac yet either.

I've confirmed pressure sensitivity works in Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro (x86), Paint Tool SAI, OneNote, Sticky Notes, and Sculptris. I'm guessing this isn't much of a surprise for

any of you.

To elaborate on what I said about drivers in the youtube video, it seems you have to do a lot of restarting and going through the Tablet PC settings in different contexts (second screen only, extend, etc) to get it to work. Sometimes the driver will crash and say that no tablet was found, at which point restarting the computer is called for. Sometimes the tablet will register input for the other screen using the stylus. Sometimes touch will stop working altogether, but the stylus will work. Sometimes on duplicate, the stylus input position that registers is like half a screen offset in some direction, but only in some programs.

It's very strange. However, I think that I got it to work, and to calibrate, and God-willing, it will stay that way.

I measured the screen as adding around 9 watts to the power drawn from the outlet.

All in all, this seems like a solid product. I have an Intuos 4 Large and use the monitors shown in the youtube video as a reference to measure my subjectivity. The screen looks great, and is responsive. I have detected some parallax effect, but that was anticipated. It is worse when the stylus is not tangent (90 degrees) to the tablet surface. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by how little the offset was after calibration. My biggest hardware complaint I would have to be the dinky stylus, but thankfully other compatible ones are available.

EDIT: Eraser and second side-switch functionality do not work on this device, even if the stylus has those features itself. This is based on testimony from others in this thread, as well as my own. I spoke with Wacom representatives in person, and they told me that the device supports those features, but it's in Lenovo's court as to whether or not to activate them.

Let me know if you have any questions, and let this thread act as an owner's thread as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Rob J

Rob J Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been trying out the wired version with my Macbook Pro - there's an issue with the calibration of the stylus. It's accurate only in the middle of the ThinkVision screen; as you go progressively in any direction, it gets more and more off target, so that at the edges of the screen it's off by over 2 cm. It's basically not usable. I'm trying to work with Lenovo support, but progress has been slow - in the past 2 hours, I've been hung up on 3 times while on hold and still have yet to speak to a technical support person and not just one of the triage information gatherers.

darkmagistric likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think you'll get very far with support from Lenovo considering this product was really only meant for Windows 8, but its nice to see that it at least works on a Mac. By chance does the Touch/Multi Touch work?

And as far as the messed up Calibration, by chance have you tried the Modbook Drivers?
    Axiotron's Modbook Service & Support | EMCS.

And also does your Macbook have USB 2 or 3?

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for making that YouTube Video

I have to say I find the requirment for USB 3 kind of a bummer. I'm still a couple Hardware gens behind and the two decives I wanted to use the Lt1423p with are my Series 7 Slate and my Core2duo era Macbook Pro, both of which are still rocking USB 2.

When connected to a USB 2 slot, does it just not work at all, or is the video performance just badly imparied?

Would a USB 3 adapter would work with LT1423p?

5. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice review!

One question I have is: How much CPU does this use? I heard that driving a screen over displaylink can be pretty cpu intensive.

Also, I don't have USB3.0
    Would one of those pcie usb3 cards work?
    I mean, I guess I could upgrade my mainboard as well, it's getting a bit long on the tooth...

6. oranjoose

When I first plugged in the device, the "ThinkVision" splash appeared but then went black and completely unresponsive. It wasn't until I realized that I accidentally plugged it into one of the USB 2.0 ports that I switched to a USB 3.0 port and got it to work.

So in my experience, and according to the first review on Amazon UK ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thin...e=UTF8&qid=1387130040&sr=8-1&keywords=lt1423p ),

USB 2.0 just doesn't work.

I'm guessing a PCIe USB 3.0 card would work. Each lane of PCI Express 2.0 has a max bandwidth of 500MB/s and USB 3.0 has a max bandwidth of 5Gb/s (around 625MB/s if I haven't mistaken the spec), so a PCIe x1 USB 3.0 card should do the trick.

7. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

It's working for me on USB 2.0. Touch still doesn't work for me, but I don't think that's because I'm on USB 2.0; I think it's a driver issue...

I did have to disconnect/reconnect it a couple times in the beginning to get it to work, but it seems to have gotten a little more reliable now.

The CPU usage doesn't seem to be that high, at least not when it's idling. I'd say an extra 1% to 2% max. When you're using it, it could be more, but I don't think it's any more than when I'm using the built-in digitizer on my x220t.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. oranjoose

I just tried the USB 2.0 ports again, and the screen worked this time. However, the problem where pen input registers on the other screen came back. I really don't want to try all the house of cards settings again that I did to get it to work to see if it will work optimally on USB 2.0. Maybe I'll try on another machine soon and let you know my findings.

9. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi oranjoose,

Shogmaster mentioned the lack of Wintab drivers (in his thread in Lenovo subforum). Yet SAI is working fine for your machine? So it does have Wintab drivers?

10. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

@Commander Wolf:

Can you confirm whether you got the LT1423p working in "extend" screen mode with your x220t with pressure sensitivity working on both the LT1423p and x220t?

I'm looking at this as a secondary screen for my x230t.

Also, thanks for the video, oranjoose!