Lenovo introduces new Yoga models with 'AnyPen' technology

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by surfaceproartist, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

Writing in Windows Journal is not very pleasant. It actually does do some kind of palm rejection, because if you place your hand on the screen and start writing normally it only shows the part you're writing and does not mark where your palm is. But as your hand moves as you write, it might touch in a way where it gets confused and then your writing stops.

It's also not the best looking. It's possible to write surprisingly small, like you can with Wacom. But it's more like N-trig where it's not as fluid, so curves in letters like 'S' and 'W' might not be as pronounced as intended. It ends up not as readable as it should be. It's subtle, but like with N-trig it feels too blunt, and doesn't have that more natural pen feel like Wacom's electro-magnetic resonance technology.

It's better than no pen input, but it's mostly practical for quick notes, and doesn't work well as a primary journal because it's not natural enough to get out of your way as a tool.

(Windows Journal uses vectors, not raster, so some of the subtle quality issues might be due to the specific software, and not AnyPen technology.)

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  2. sweller

sweller Pen Pal - Newbie

Jamon: You have done nothing to sway one way or the other. (I say that in jest, of course.)

DeathMoJo: "Slow" is an understatement. Now it's not supposed to get here until Wednesday the 20th.

To anyone who has one, knowing what you now know, would you buy it again?

3. Jamon

That's good, I'm not trying to say anyone should buy it or not. It really depends on what people want to do. For me high pixel density is really important because I often hold the screen very close to my eye. I also care about the size and shape, for it to be easy to move around the house in a variety of positions without dropping it constantly. Other things too like being able to make the screen bright enough to see in sunlight sometimes, and very dim for using in the dark, but without PWM flicker causing eye strain. The ability to use a fine-tipped stylus rather than only finger to better hit the tiny UI elements, a battery that doesn't run out in only a few hours, and GPS for pinpointing location when necessary. It's not powerful enough to be my primary machine for production, but I still like it enough that for the price I'd probably buy it again. I've not found anything else with high PPI that can use something resembling a pen for input. The Surface 3 people are talking about now I would not buy because the display is too low PPI to hold close to the eyes and see a sharp image, and it's too big and heavy to effortlessly carry it around with one hand.

To me the size and shape with that stand make it worth it even if only as a portable Netflix player. The 2 speakers in the front make it a neat little multimedia player, where it stands up almost like a shrunken television. For playing video games, with the stand out it provides a lip that makes it very secure in the hands when holding it by the base for steering games that use the gyroscope. I find this "Yoga Tablet" style more pleasant to use than a flat tablet.

I just wish it was more powerful, with Core M, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM, and 64-bit Windows Pro. I also want them to add the ability to boot from USB to their UEFI settings, so I can more easily dual-boot Linux. But overall, although it's not my dream machine, it's still pretty neat, and the most appealing device I've found so far.

4. sweller

sweller Pen Pal - Newbie

UPS just delivered the Yoga 2 8-inch (refurb). It's going back because it has a couple of small "gouges" (for lack of a more accurate term) on the screen.

But I'm just curious. In Anypen supposed to be on by default? It doesn't work...

5. Jamon

Yes, I think it is a hardware modification, and probably doesn't require any software drivers. I've not seen a function to enable or disable the AnyPen feature.

6. sweller

sweller Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm done with it. Cosmetics aside:

Anypen doesn't work even after a hard reset.
    Screen flickers horribly.
    GPS doesn't work.

The biggest deal breaker was the Kindle app. It's just ugly on this device. I'm spoiled.

Thanks, Jamon. I really appreciate all your input.

7. Jamon

What kind of screen flicker is it? Did you try disabling the auto brightness?

It's a little surprising they shipped you such a defective device. But both of the last Lenovo tablets I bought had hardware problems, and I'm noticing that there's an issue with the touch on this one, where if I'm holding it sometimes and try to tap the lower right part of the screen with my thumb it shows the tap as being off closer to the middle of the screen, inches away from where I'm tapping. Then if I remove my hands and hold it another way to try again, it works.

I haven't tried the Kindle app. The modern UI feels like a work in progress, with some pros and cons in comparison to Android. Both platforms feel like a construction zone with exposed nails and missing fixtures.

8. sweller

sweller Pen Pal - Newbie

The flicker is rapid but kind of random. Almost like it's stuck between going up one or going down one setting. Disabling the auto brightness was the first thing I thought of. It made the screen brighter, and made the flicker more noticeable.

9. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

I would say all your issues are not normal. My refurb model acts as it should with the AnyPen and no screen flicker. Sad that made it through the QA process. I dealt with Lenovo support a couple times with my ThinkPad 8 and they were super quick on turn around, under a week with overnight shipping each time.

10. sweller

sweller Pen Pal - Newbie

It does seem rather anomalous. But there are a few other observations I made...

The first, while I was tracking the <ahem> shipping progress and before the initial scan in Chicago (Franklin Park), the UPS tracking website kept saying "United Kingdom" at the top of the page. When I got the unit, the default time zone was also UK. When I went to set the weather app, it was in the UK. I tried to set it to White Rock, NM, Los Alamos, NM, and 87544. It kept saying it couldn't find any of them and defaulted back to the UK.

It didn't come in an original box. Other than the outer carton with all the stickers, it only came packed in generic, loose-fitting foam.

Could this one have been built for a UK or EU trade show?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.