Lenovo introduces new Yoga models with 'AnyPen' technology

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by surfaceproartist, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magicalUnicorns

magicalUnicorns Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you mind if you can confirm your part number? on the us site its 59RF2101 google gives nothing so I figure these are the CES show models people were poking at in the youtube videos.

Im curious of the anypen tech. Would love to just draw with lite wooden pencils and quills again even if its has no pressure.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

Box shows part #59RF2101. Kickstand sticker shows manufacture date of 1-21-2015. After CES.

Refurbish date is 4-15-2015.

Hope that helps.

3. magicalUnicorns

That helps greatly! Thank you. Looks like i'll try one out, huh here I was on the fence for a surface 3.
    Fun!

4. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it's probably smarter to get the refurbished deal, but I ordered the $240 one. After taxes it was $255, and is shipping from Greensboro, NC. I'll be curious to compare the manufacture date.

The part numbers don't appear to mean much, because none of them match the ones on the retail site, and they are different for the same model machines, but different conditions, like "Refurbished" and "Scratch & dent" have different part numbers. I imagine the actual model number of the Yoga Tablet 2 8" you receive from the outlet store and regular one are the same.

I'm curious to compare to the ThinkPad 10. There's a lot of Surface 3 hype right now, but I think this 8" tablet might be better than both the Surface 3 and ThinkPad 10 for many uses. If you're going to spend the money those cost, it might be better to spend a little more for the upcoming Surface Pro 4 or similar Core M class tablet with full SSD. But for a portable Atom Windows tablet, this 8" looks potentially more appealing.

I didn't order that silicone case yet. I think I found a much better one:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This one is $50 and will be released in a month.
    http://www.gumdropcases.com/collect...e-for-lenovo-yoga-tablet-2-8-black-black.html

Those are the kinds of cases I like, so I can drop or throw the tablet and use it on rock or concrete. It almost seems like overkill for this product though, because the case is like 20-30% the cost of the actual machine. If I like the tablet though, I might buy that one.

5. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

I hope the AnyPen is up to your needs. It Is good but doesn't work 100% of the time.

The funny part is this tablet opens and closes windows and apps quicker than my ThinkPad 8. They are similar specs and I'm running identical software. I prefer the screen on the Yoga Tab, very bright screen and I keep the brightness below 25% a lot. 10 hours in and still 37% battery, I am loving this.

I mostly web surf with the occasional game and word processing.

6. magicalUnicorns

Yeah I figure its not gonna be the best ever as a first gen but wow what they could expand it to. If they allow dev access for v2 to register whatever surface space is being hit it could easily allow paint brushes that are coated in metal for various sizing!
    And if it had the slightest pressure it could catch ballpoint pen pressure levels which can get a good range of texture.

But for now if it can mostly get swipe marks and use the brush setting in clip studio for falloff it can easily work for drafts. And plus its a tablet that stands up.
    When I bought the Asus vivo note 8 The main thing I thought that would be a perfect combo is another. One for ref on a stand and another for drawing. Never did that cause the screen was never that great and the battery always drained fast.

Also you could use this as a mini light table if putting a layer of cloth works as palm rejection.

Aaa. Have not been this wowed by tablet tech in a while.

7. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

Glad to see you are excited for this tablet. It fits my want of large battery life, small form factor and the built in stand is great. The build quality really surprised me.

I like this tablet all around better than my ThinkPad 8.

8. Jamon

New tablet has manufacture date of 2015-01-19, and has some discoloration on the stand.

9. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo The Navy Guy

Discoloration? Dang that sucks, have any photos?

10. Jamon

It's not a big deal. Just interesting that the refurbished was newer and maybe better condition. :)

My first impression after using a pencil for minutes in Journal, Fresh Paint, and SketchBook is, do not buy the AnyPen for art or writing.

I'm liking the pencil for navigation and handwriting input panel. But it does not work well for drawing or writing notes.

It does not always draw lines where the tip of the pencil is. When the pencil is slanted to the right in a more natural position, if I draw a vertical line, the line is drawn with a horizontal offset too far to the right.

It is not comfortable not being able to rest the hand on the screen. I can rest it and draw, but then sometimes the canvas moves because it sees both the palm and pencil as fingers, and it might trigger the pinch-to-zoom action.

It doesn't always start drawing when pencil touches glass, probably because the tip isn't evenly dull enough yet. ... I dulled it a little and it works better.

It is not very precise with strokes. If I try to draw a curve or something, it doesn't precisely draw what I intended. I cannot write as small as I can with Wacom.

But it's better than Wacom and N-trig for dots. There is no pressure needed to register a dot. As soon as the pencil tip makes contact with the glass, it registers as a dot.

That is why it is good for navigation, because the pencil can more precisely tap things than a finger. Except, it has that offset thing when the pencil is tilted too far, so even single taps might not hit the intended spot.

It's useful, and I think all touch screens should allow use of pencils like this. I prefer to use the pencil for most things, like navigation, scrollbars, and selecting text.

But for pen use, like handwriting notes, flick gestures, buttons for right-click, or artwork, the AnyPen cannot compare to Wacom.

Otherwise, so far I think I like this tablet better than the ThinkPad 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.